The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2022, 03:56 PM

Default Lowden owners: please report to this thread.

I’m on the lookout for the fingerstyle guitar that speaks to me. I think it may be time to look into some of the smaller builders and the first on my radar is a Lowden.
I don’t want to get my hopes up too high, but I’ve heard that these guitars are great for fingerstyle and open tunings, which is basically all I play. So a few questions to all of you Lowden owners, or even anyone that has experience with these guitars. Which model do you have and what do you love about it? Also, what do you dislike about it, if anything? Just pondering the idea at this point. Appreciate any thoughts. Persuade me!

Last edited by Acousticado; 06-24-2022 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Please review forum rules
Old 06-24-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
I’m on the lookout for the fingerstyle guitar that speaks to me. I think it may be time to look into some of the smaller builders and the first on my radar is a Lowden.
I don’t want to get my hopes up too high, but I’ve heard that these guitars are great for fingerstyle and open tunings, which is basically all I play. So a few questions to all of you Lowden owners, or even anyone that has experience with these guitars. Which model do you have and what do you love about it? Also, what do you dislike about it, if anything? Just pondering the idea at this point. Appreciate any thoughts. Persuade me!
Great idea to look at many builders. My L32p is an O-model from 1987. It is a fun and big guitar to play. It is 16inch wide and 5" deep. It's big. So that' the only down side for me. Im 5'11" and not overweight but putting this on my R thigh to play pushes my R shoulder up, creates a bit of tension and is not very comfortable for long periods. Standing with the guitar solves the problem but many don't want to always stand with their guitar. The F model is smaller and more friendly. You'll have to try them for yourself. Play as many guitars of all shapes that you can because you will learn so much about what you really want to play.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)

Last edited by Acousticado; 06-24-2022 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:22 PM

I bought an O23C new and played it a handful of times while owning it twenty years. Finally sold it.
It was a very nice guitar but the physical size didn't encourage me to play it. The sound was great, but not enough to deal with the discomfort of playing it.

One of their smaller models might be better, I'm sure.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:35 PM

lowden s-32 here.
dislike: neck is a tad fat for my smaller hands.
and, it's rosewood. i'm more of a mahogany or koa guy, but this beautiful guitar was a gift from my wonderful wife, so …
like: virtually everything else. it's stable, beautiful, rings like a bell, great smaller size, intonation perfect …
HIGHLY recommended, if neck is to your liking.
sadly, i cannot play any of my guitars anymore. arthritis, neuritis, psoriasis. the hat trick of misery.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:46 PM

The best guitar I have ever played was an 032, but I wasn’t able to buy it and missed out. My Avalon L32 is the same dimensions, woods, neck profile and shape and I love it dearly. I’m 6’3 and heavyset, and I don’t feel like it’s that big — I have a Yamaha jumbo that has a larger lower bout.

I also own a Lowden 022 from 1993 that I bought second hand for a song because it requires a neck reset. I haven’t played it much but it sounds great nonetheless. When get around to it, I’ll find a luthier willing to do the work (my usual go-to guy doesn’t want to after researching it online) and hopefully be playing it for another couple of decades — or maybe my sons will be after that.

Personally I think that the Irish guitar builders that come from the Lowden school of building have the very best-sounding (subjectively), dynamically responsive and versatile guitars that I’ve ever come across.

Even my ‘little’ Avalon, whilst not a Lowden, gets pretty close to all the things I loved about the O32 I missed out on 20-odd years ago, too.

They all sing in open tunings. Also, I have two wall hangers in my studio (I am an illustrator by trade) and if I have any of the Avalons or the Lowden in them, any amount of talking or similar has them singing with sympathetic resonances. My Gibson and others just don’t do it to the same extent at all. There’s something a bit special going on with them for sure.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 06-24-2022, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

F32c current owner and past owner of the S25.
The S25 got the nod for comfort but was a little light on the punch and volume.
The F32c fills a room like a piano with nice crisp trebles and rich base, very lively and responsive. Perfect for alternate tunings and finger style, though versatile if you want to pick as well. The tone has a distinct, very unique voicing in addition to the rich overtones. I find the F body size a tad too deep for my ultimate shoulder comfort as I mostly play OM size guitars.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:28 PM

You don’t mention what style of music you play...so best advice is to try all of them.

Now I had read about Lowdens but never seen or heard one and a thread appeared here about a small Lowden for sale with signatures on the top that everyone thought was sacrilege..... I gave it no more thought, but I was perusing a local used guitar shop inventory online and Bingo, there it was! Same guitar!

So I was there in a flash.....strings were hundreds of years old somehow, but...WOW! Brought a few acoustics and gadgets to trade, sat around while the guy checked all the checkables...and then it was MINE!

And the signatures on the top are from Tommy Emmanuel and his brother Phil! Staying!

Lowden is 1993 S35 in Tasmanian Blackwood/Cedar.....deep body 00 size in a Hiscox case.

This guitar seriously changed my mind on guitars and,......cases!

Only minus is it speaks the truth loudly.

BluesKing777.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

I've owned a Lowden O32 and F32c but now my ultimate fingerstyle/open tuning guitar is my McIlroy A30c. I found the Mac to be every bit as wonderful as the Lowdens, with the benefit of saving $1,500 for the same/better appointments. Either are quintessential fingerstyle guitars, and you will be pleased if you take this route.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

I've an O 32 and an F 35, wonderful instruments.
If you're mostly finger style I'd suggest considering one of the 12 fret models, they're special.

https://youtu.be/0OIzDeC-_rM
Old 06-25-2022, 02:56 AM

The “classic” Lowden is cedar over indian rosewood, i.e. 25.
I like the F size as it sits right between the larger O and smaller S.
So F25 for me; I had two back in the day.

I’ve since moved on to sole luthier built instruments but, for me, Lowden are my go-to recommendation if you want an off-the-shelf fingerstyle guitar.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 06-25-2022, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
Great idea to look at many builders. My L32p is an O-model from 1987. It is a fun and big guitar to play. It is 16inch wide and 5" deep. It's big. So that' the only down side for me. Im 5'11" and not overweight but putting this on my R thigh to play pushes my R shoulder up, creates a bit of tension and is not very comfortable for long periods. Standing with the guitar solves the problem but many don't want to always stand with their guitar. The F model is smaller and more friendly. You'll have to try them for yourself. Play as many guitars of all shapes that you can because you will learn so much about what you really want to play.

hans
Ok thanks for the info! I’m 6’ 1” with a long wingspan, so I don’t think the larger sizes will give me too much trouble.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I bought an O23C new and played it a handful of times while owning it twenty years. Finally sold it.
It was a very nice guitar but the physical size didn't encourage me to play it. The sound was great, but not enough to deal with the discomfort of playing it.

One of their smaller models might be better, I'm sure.
Sorry that the larger size didn’t work out for you. I typically don’t have issues with different guitar sizes myself, but that could and probably will change with age. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislongAgain View Post
lowden s-32 here.
dislike: neck is a tad fat for my smaller hands.
and, it's rosewood. i'm more of a mahogany or koa guy, but this beautiful guitar was a gift from my wonderful wife, so …
like: virtually everything else. it's stable, beautiful, rings like a bell, great smaller size, intonation perfect …
HIGHLY recommended, if neck is to your liking.
sadly, i cannot play any of my guitars anymore. arthritis, neuritis, psoriasis. the hat trick of misery.
Thanks Chris, and it’s a shame about your physical limitations. I can’t imagine what it’s like to not be able to play guitar. Unfortunately, the time will come for me as well as I can already feel the arthritis in my hands from years in the trades. All the best to you sir.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorse View Post
The best guitar I have ever played was an 032, but I wasn’t able to buy it and missed out. My Avalon L32 is the same dimensions, woods, neck profile and shape and I love it dearly. I’m 6’3 and heavyset, and I don’t feel like it’s that big — I have a Yamaha jumbo that has a larger lower bout.

I also own a Lowden 022 from 1993 that I bought second hand for a song because it requires a neck reset. I haven’t played it much but it sounds great nonetheless. When get around to it, I’ll find a luthier willing to do the work (my usual go-to guy doesn’t want to after researching it online) and hopefully be playing it for another couple of decades — or maybe my sons will be after that.

Personally I think that the Irish guitar builders that come from the Lowden school of building have the very best-sounding (subjectively), dynamically responsive and versatile guitars that I’ve ever come across.

Even my ‘little’ Avalon, whilst not a Lowden, gets pretty close to all the things I loved about the O32 I missed out on 20-odd years ago, too.

They all sing in open tunings. Also, I have two wall hangers in my studio (I am an illustrator by trade) and if I have any of the Avalons or the Lowden in them, any amount of talking or similar has them singing with sympathetic resonances. My Gibson and others just don’t do it to the same extent at all. There’s something a bit special going on with them for sure.
Thanks snorse. Bell like tone comes up often when describing Lowden and other Irish builds. Exactly what I’m after, as well as the open tunings. I should have mentioned in the OP that Avalon guitars are also on my radar and would be a good alternative that I could potentially afford to buy new as opposed Lowden, which I’d be looking at used.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
F32c current owner and past owner of the S25.
The S25 got the nod for comfort but was a little light on the punch and volume.
The F32c fills a room like a piano with nice crisp trebles and rich base, very lively and responsive. Perfect for alternate tunings and finger style, though versatile if you want to pick as well. The tone has a distinct, very unique voicing in addition to the rich overtones. I find the F body size a tad too deep for my ultimate shoulder comfort as I mostly play OM size guitars.
Thanks powderfinger! Too bad you couldn’t have the tone of the F model with the comfort of the S model. The F32c sounds like the clear winner from what you’ve described.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion