The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-13-2022, 06:16 AM

Default Taylor headstock finish lifting at the tuners?

I have a Taylor 414CE acoustic that is always kept in the case. Last time out, I noticed some lifting of the lacquer around the tuners. No idea how this could have happened, but it's not pretty.
It's starting at every tuner location. Maybe has to do with the break in the finish when drilled, or the tuner material itself? Just wondering how to best touch it up without getting overly involved.

Can I put some glue behind it and gently clamp? Or will the glue react somehow to the lacquer? Might be difficult to get glue even under there.

What about using an exacto knife and removing just the lifted area? would it require new finish there? What is the lacquer used by Taylor?
See pictures links below:

https://images.reverb.com/image/uplo...koysrcxxoo.jpg
https://images.reverb.com/image/uplo...dova1kfwey.jpg

I'm actually trying to sell this guitar now, and the finish flaw is killing my sales price.
Yamaha classical

Last edited by hector; 06-13-2022 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:42 AM
Guitar Gourmet

If you are the first owner this could be a warranty repair. Call Taylor.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-13-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
Maybe has to do with the break in the finish when drilled, or the tuner material itself? Just wondering how to best touch it up without getting overly involved.
The finish is a specialty finish that requires the use of a uv light to cure it.

The typical issues you have are one of two things, either the machine heads have come loose and the movement of the machine heads fractures the uv finishes bond to the wood in the direction of the strings or the machine head retention nut has been wound down too tight and that makes the finish break away from the tuners again but more in a circular shape.

By your photo, I would say the first has happened, machine heads have come loose.

To fix

Local repair, remove the machine heads, get a very thin super glue and wick it between the loose finish and the wood, instantly push down the loose finish and hold for 20 seconds, if you did all correctly it wil look perfect

Complicated repair, the finish needs to be sanded and removed, uv gel seal the wood, uv finish the headstock

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-13-2022, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

I believe Taylor used a water-based laquer for a while, before going to the poly. That looks like an issue I had with WBL before promptly giving that up. Failure to remove even the slightest amount of oil (ie a fingerprint) can result in lifting. In a week or 7 years.

I totally agree with Bob, and would put it in Taylors hands for repair. Even if not under warranty, thats not going to be easy. (If done right). Good luck.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-13-2022, 07:24 AM

Thanks your your response.
Two issues?
Either the tuners are too tight or they are too loose?
Well how do I know which is the case?

I have two other Taylors that look fine now, but I'm concerned about this happening to those too.
Yamaha classical
Old 06-13-2022, 07:41 AM

Loosen the strings off, use a spanner and gently tighten the nuts on the tuner shafts, they dont need to be super tight just firm

I do these repairs all the time, if you do not feel confident take it to a guitar tech or luthier to do

Is it covered under warranty?, are you the original owner, do you have extended warranty or normal warranty, how long ago did you buy it, do you still have reciepts, did you lodge the serial number ownership with Taylor.

Taylors warranty provided you meet their terms is exceptional, I have done finish repairs under warranty on peoples guitars 9yrs after purchase

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-13-2022, 08:03 AM

Looks like maybe the same in two small place at the top of the headstock. If so try some super thin CA and see if it fixes those two areas to your satisfaction.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:21 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I guess I should tell you that I have a Taylor that has the same issue. It is a gorgeous 2004 710ce that I bought new-old-stock but used as far as warranty is concerned a couple of years ago. There was a period around 2004 in the introduction of Taylor's high-solids, UV-cured poly finish when there was a rash of this problem showing up on new guitars. Taylor took care of the issue as they always do. I got a killer deal on this guitar and it sounds great so one day I'll get its skin problems fixed!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-13-2022, 09:00 AM

Default a thought

Asking us is nice. Asking Taylor will help get an appropriate fix.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:02 AM

Yes,, I agree with calling or emailing these photos to Taylor customer service

I've had a few questions for them in the past, and they've been very responsive, professional and helpful.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-13-2022, 10:13 AM

thanks for all of your responses.
Yamaha classical
Old 06-13-2022, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

I didnt mean to “step on” steve’s comment about using super glue. (CA). If it were a player you plan on keeping, I may try that, but I doubt (and Steve may agree) that the quality of that fix wont likely recoup the loss of value, if you’re planning on selling. In fact, it may exacerbate the depreciation.

Whether or not its under warranty, I would TALK TO a Taylor rep (not just email). If its a known problem as Bob points out, they may fix it on their dime regardless of warranty. They probably dont want defects like that literally right under their name!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-13-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I didnt mean to “step on” steve’s comment about using super glue. (CA). If it were a player you plan on keeping, I may try that, but I doubt (and Steve may agree) that the quality of that fix wont likely recoup the loss of value, if you’re planning on selling. In fact, it may exacerbate the depreciation.

Whether or not its under warranty, I would TALK TO a Taylor rep (not just email). If its a known problem as Bob points out, they may fix it on their dime regardless of warranty. They probably dont want defects like that literally right under their name!
yea.. call is prob the best bet, but they're going to want pictures,

I can tell ya that from my own dealings with them and what this is

in my case, Emailing them was quite responsive.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-13-2022, 02:03 PM

This is a QC issue with finish adhesion. While the pressure from the tuner collar nuts initiated the peeling/debonding, it should not progress anywhere near this much. It is a precursor to more finish delamination on the neck, wherever pressure is applied.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
This is a QC issue with finish adhesion. While the pressure from the tuner collar nuts initiated the peeling/debonding, it should not progress anywhere near this much. It is a precursor to more finish delamination on the neck, wherever pressure is applied.
Is nitro cracking and peeling on headstocks a quality control issue?, simply is what it is.

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair