The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2019, 02:22 PM

Default NGD Yamaha LJ16BC

A week late! Been looking at the all solid 16 L series Yamaha’s for a while particularly interested in the ARE treated tops. Anyway this limited Billy Corgan signature model came up in the sale for less than the price of a standard LJ16.

I’m not a fan of the smashing pumkins my reason for buying the signature model was the upgrades it comes with:
Gotoh open gear tuners
Tusq nut and saddle
Brass bridge pins

I’m really pleased with this guitar, it sounds big and open and the neck profile is really comfortable. Set up was reasonably good out the box. I’ve just had to do a little work on the nut as most of the slots were not cut deep enough (I’ve heard this is quite common with Yamaha). Everything else was fine.

I’ve not tried the zero impact pickup. Interested to hear peoples thoughts on it and how hot it is for a passive pickup and what Preamp they’ve used with it to boost the signal.

It has 80/20 elixirs on as stock. I’d also be keen for some string recommendations! Picture in link below

https://flic.kr/p/2esmzMN

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 02-01-2019, 02:32 PM

Congratulations on the NGD! This is one of the models I have been looking at. Lots of good stuff for not a lot of cash. Based on the videos I have seen from the LJ16's you are going to get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 02-01-2019, 02:56 PM

Happy NGD! That looks really nice. Congrats!
Old 02-01-2019, 03:04 PM

Good score. I'm a big fan of the L-series (as my weary post readers will tell you!), and I own an LL16. I did have an LJ6 and that too was a very nice instrument. I bought it a set of Pinz brass bridge pins; I can't say that they altered the tone in any appreciable way (maybe a little more top end?), but the abalone inlays matched the rosette nicely.
https://www.pinzuk.com/order-pinz-in...laid-paua-gbp/
Old 02-01-2019, 03:20 PM

Very nice. I've played the standard LL16 and of course the LS and loved them both. I guess this lands somewhere in the middle. I really like the look of the open gear machines. I hope you enjoy it for many, many years.
2014 Yamaha LS16
2020 Squier CV 50's Telecaster
2022 Yamaha FG3
Old 02-01-2019, 03:28 PM

Well done Nick. My LJ16 is the best value guitar I own I think. Amazing for the money.

I bought the standard version and did replace the machine heads with Schaller M6 vintage copper ones.

I’ve been meaning to replace the plastic nut and saddle on principle, but to be honest I’m really happy with the sound of the guitar as it is now

I tried John Pearse Pure Nickel wound lights on it and took them off pretty quickly—not the right thing for this guitar. I strung elixir 80/20’s lights (which mine did not originally come with—it had quite horrible Yamaha strings on it). Personally I’ve been pretty happy with the elixirs.

Playing plugged in I use a tonedexter. I haven’t tried other options so can’t do a real comparison for you, but I suspect it will be hard to do significantly better than a tonedexter if you want to preserve the natural acoustic sound of the guitar.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

I have an AC3R, little different animal but Ive been happy with elixir PB’s on it
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 02-01-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleBob View Post
Well done Nick. My LJ16 is the best value guitar I own I think. Amazing for the money.

I bought the standard version and did replace the machine heads with Schaller M6 vintage copper ones.

I’ve been meaning to replace the plastic nut and saddle on principle, but to be honest I’m really happy with the sound of the guitar as it is now

I tried John Pearse Pure Nickel wound lights on it and took them off pretty quickly—not the right thing for this guitar. I strung elixir 80/20’s lights (which mine did not originally come with—it had quite horrible Yamaha strings on it). Personally I’ve been pretty happy with the elixirs.

Playing plugged in I use a tonedexter. I haven’t tried other options so can’t do a real comparison for you, but I suspect it will be hard to do significantly better than a tonedexter if you want to preserve the natural acoustic sound of the guitar.
Nice! They are a lot of guitar for the money. I’ll try it through my FlyRig pedal see how it sounds. It’s only 1 meg impedance I think it may need higher.

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 02-01-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaylor58 View Post
I have an AC3R, little different animal but Ive been happy with elixir PB’s on it
Have you tried any uncoated PB strings on it?

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 02-01-2019, 03:46 PM

Only 6 allocated to Australia.
https://www.musoscorner.com.au/yamah...australia-wide
Selling new here for Aus$1999.00 which is GBP1107
Really great looking guitar.
Spruce/Rosewood.
Maybe try some D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-01-2019, 03:50 PM

Beautiful guitar! I have been looking at this model for a while as I like the SJ body. Without opening a can of worms, how do you like the brass bridge pins? Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-01-2019, 08:57 PM

Congrats on a sweet guitar. I never cared for the Zero Impact pickup plugged direct into a PA system. Through a DI with eq, like my LR Baggs Para DI, a good tone could be dialed in. As for strings, all my Yamahas sound stellar with D'Addario nickel bronze strings.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:02 PM

I like the following string on my LL16R: Curt Mangan PB traditional lights, D’Addario EJ16 PB Lights, John Pearce PB Lights. The Curt Mangans are my favorite strings.

Believe it or not I like the Yamaha 80/20 brass strings. Not my favorite by any means but I like the tone of them after a couple of days to settle.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 02-02-2019, 12:05 AM

Congrats! I’m jealous - nice guitar!
Old 02-02-2019, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Beautiful guitar! I have been looking at this model for a while as I like the SJ body. Without opening a can of worms, how do you like the brass bridge pins? Enjoy!
Hey Marty I can’t really comment on the brass pins, I like the sound it currently has, big open sound lots of sustain. I’ve no plans to swap the pins out for different material so I won’t know how much of the character is down to the pins (I’m guessing they won’t make a great deal of difference).

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
lj16, yamaha