The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-27-2022, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Question for Evolve 30M/50M veterans...

We continue to LOVE the sound of this system. We have yet to use it live but those gigs are coming up soon. To date we've only used it outside so I need to practice a few times inside just to get used to that and make sure there are not feedback issues when I've got sound bouncing off the walls. But this is not my question.

Right out of the gate I began programming the built-in mixer using our Samsung Tablet which we also use live for our setlists and 'cheat sheets' for music/lyrics. To date I've never had an issue with this system but you know how that goes. I do have the Evolve app on my phone but I have never connected it to the EV30M and set it up nor have I ever played around with the manual settings which I find cumbersome.

Obviously, these are two things I really need to do 'just in case'. But my question is this: Does the EV30M (or 50M) default to the last settings used when powered on even if it does not connect to the last Bluetooth device it connected to? In other words, if I got to a gig and found my tablet was dead, would I be able to just power it on and unmute the mixer manually and have all my settings previously used ready to go?

Along those lines, if I have never set connected my phone app to the EV, when I do will the settings from the Samsung tablet automatically show up on my phone (assuming that is what the EV30M defaults to as it was used last) or will the settings go back to factory default since I'm connecting to a new/different platform/app? Sure, I could just test this out myself (and I will) but I figured those that have been using this system live surely will have already considered this and tested it out.

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2022, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

So, I've answered my own questions and the news is good. Yes, the last used settings on the EV30M do keep in unit when powering up with no Bluetooth connection although then using the manual input is still a PITA, or at least not too intuitive and/or easy. Next up, when connecting to a different Bluetooth app platform, the previously used EV30M settings also do remain the same however the stored settings/names are not present.

Regardless, now that I've connected to the EV30M with my phone my plan is to use that primarily and then I'll have the Samsung tablet as my backup if for some reason the phone fails which is much less likely. That way I can keep the mixer displayed on the phone (on the mic stand) while the setlists/song info remains displayed on the tablet. Although I've had very little in the way of issues with any of these platforms/apps, I always live in fear of everything just NOT working all at once. For this reason I will always have the EAE D6-58 in the trunk just waiting to go!
Old 06-27-2022, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

The new setup!

Old 06-27-2022, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

My experience is that if you call up a preset, and then tweak the settings with the app (or not), it will revert back to the original preset (pre-tweak). You can easily save/store the tweaked settings if you prefer them, either on the app or the unit. In real world use of my 50m, I've played small/quiet venues, as well as larger outdoor venues, and I've found that very little adjustment is needed--mainly just the overall master volume if I need more. I've gotten to where I don't even use the app much in most cases, and have 2-3 basic presets for my primary venues. The app was great though for when I ran a local Open Mic to dial in the various performers. That said, you may have a more critical ear than I do, and my setup is very simple--mic in one channel and guitar in another with no outboard gear, and minimal effects used on the unit itself (just a little med/plate reverb). I typically set up with the unit a few feet to either side of me and a little in front, and feedback with my Cole Clark hasn't been an issue, and I've had no need for monitoring.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
My experience is that if you call up a preset, and then tweak the settings with the app (or not), it will revert back to the original preset (pre-tweak). You can easily save/store the tweaked settings if you prefer them, either on the app or the unit. In real world use of my 50m, I've played small/quiet venues, as well as larger outdoor venues, and I've found that very little adjustment is needed--mainly just the overall master volume if I need more. I've gotten to where I don't even use the app much in most cases, and have 2-3 basic presets for my primary venues. The app was great though for when I ran a local Open Mic to dial in the various performers. That said, you may have a more critical ear than I do, and my setup is very simple--mic in one channel and guitar in another with no outboard gear, and minimal effects used on the unit itself (just a little med/plate reverb). I typically set up with the unit a few feet to either side of me and a little in front, and feedback with my Cole Clark hasn't been an issue, and I've had no need for monitoring.
I believe it will reload the saved tweak/presets after connecting to an app via Bluetooth but it appears to default to what state you left it in last on power up if no app is loaded. I'm going to save these 'indoor' settings to my phone since there are no saved settings in there.

Is there a 'global' setting/scene save area or is it just the individual input settings that you can save. We're starting to play a few select venues regularly and while I don't expect the minor tweaks to be all that much different, it would be nice to have the ability to save everything for a specific room/venue.

You say you 'don't even use the app much in most cases' - does that mean you don't use it at all even at the gig to mute and/or change volumes or you just don't program much anymore? I love having the phone (or tablet) on the stand with the main mixer screen at the ready to change volume or mute.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I believe it will reload the saved tweak/presets after connecting to an app via Bluetooth but it appears to default to what state you left it in last on power up if no app is loaded. I'm going to save these 'indoor' settings to my phone since there are no saved settings in there.

Is there a 'global' setting/scene save area or is it just the individual input settings that you can save. We're starting to play a few select venues regularly and while I don't expect the minor tweaks to be all that much different, it would be nice to have the ability to save everything for a specific room/venue.

You say you 'don't even use the app much in most cases' - does that mean you don't use it at all even at the gig to mute and/or change volumes or you just don't program much anymore? I love having the phone (or tablet) on the stand with the main mixer screen at the ready to change volume or mute.
I believe the presets are "global", which recalls all of the inputs. I have labeled mine for a couple of repeat venues where mostly the channel volumes are adjusted. I also made an expanded one for the Open Mic should I host again--but that I tweak on the fly based on the performer.

Sometimes I just turn on the unit, recall a preset on the mixer, do a quick soundcheck, and let it rip--I typically shut it off during breaks vs. muting. The other night I used the app on my phone, called up my preset, and adjusted the volume based on the crowd size (which was small haha), and let it run in the background. I didn't touch it all night, except for muting during the breaks. So I'm fine either way. Also, I believe the default screen on the back of the unit is the "master volume", so it's easy to turn the knob a notch or two if needed.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:52 PM

So as you found, the answer is "yes," and I bet you will love your 30M.

There is one unfortunately thing about the mixer app that you might need to factor in to your live show... If the app becomes disconnected from the unit, like if the phone goes to sleep or goes out of Bluetooth range, then it takes 10 seconds or so to reconnect. Those seconds can feel like an eternity when you want to change your mix!

If your phone will be your primary mixer app, I'd make sure it won't go to sleep while the mixer is running... I honestly can't remember. I use my 30M mostly for karaoke shows so I am ALWAYS tweaking the mix and keeping the phone awake.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
So as you found, the answer is "yes," and I bet you will love your 30M.

There is one unfortunately thing about the mixer app that you might need to factor in to your live show... If the app becomes disconnected from the unit, like if the phone goes to sleep or goes out of Bluetooth range, then it takes 10 seconds or so to reconnect. Those seconds can feel like an eternity when you want to change your mix!

If your phone will be your primary mixer app, I'd make sure it won't go to sleep while the mixer is running... I honestly can't remember. I use my 30M mostly for karaoke shows so I am ALWAYS tweaking the mix and keeping the phone awake.
This is an excellent observation and tip! With the tablet (which we use for setlists and lyrics/chord reminders) I'm constantly touching it most every song. But with the phone that might not be the case! I'll have to make sure I set the phone to not go to sleep. As a live performer I don't see myself making too many tweaks once we're playing other than possibly muting or minor volume tweaks between songs as needed.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
This is an excellent observation and tip! With the tablet (which we use for setlists and lyrics/chord reminders) I'm constantly touching it most every song. But with the phone that might not be the case! I'll have to make sure I set the phone to not go to sleep. As a live performer I don't see myself making too many tweaks once we're playing other than possibly muting or minor volume tweaks between songs as needed.
I use a dedicated smartphone, one of the larger ones, to run my 30m mixer. I don't recall ever having to touch it again once I light up the app. I don't know if that's a function of the phone, or if the app is programmed to remain on display.

Last edited by Chriscom; 07-01-2022 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:46 PM

It would be pretty easy to run both the mixer app and your songbook from the same tablet.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
It would be pretty easy to run both the mixer app and your songbook from the same tablet.
Yes, I know this and stated it in the original post. My issue is the potential of having a total tablet failure and thus wanting a backup. Once I got the phone up and running, it was then that I thought it would be just as easy to run both. The likelihood of both failing is certainly much smaller.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification