The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2022, 01:47 PM

Default 12in radiius over 16in fretboard

Hi
I'm not too fond of 16-in radius fretboards. I prefer 12in as with Gibson and others.
I was recently gifted an incredible Yamaha red label FS5 Made in Japan guitar.
It has a 16-inch fretboard and similarly radiused nut and saddle. I don't hate it but I find it hard to bar chords and though silly it feels like I'm pressing onto a concave surface.
What if I had a new nut and saddle cut to 12in over the 16in fretboard.
Anyone ever done this?
Would it make a difference?
We're talking a very tiny variance in feel but it would sure beat selling this hard to get guitar to satisfy a fairly minor annoyance but one that bothers me when I play the instrument.
any ideas?
thanks
David
PS. this yamaha is probably the best guitar i've ever played in it's price range and most at twice the price.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:08 PM

You would find that all the strings except the E's are a bit higher off of the board. It would be worse with the D and G. You could get away with it at the saddle but it would almost certainly feel weird at the nut.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:58 PM

Makes sense. Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fretboar radius, yamaha