The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
Did you try other sting types ?
Which strings do you have on the Yamaha ?
Maybe the coated Elixir are not for you...
Some D'addario EJ-16 or Ni/Br or ernie ball Al/Br could help.

I once owned a Yamaha LS-16 ARE : I finally got fed up of its cristal clear tone.
I love my Taylor 322, 412ce and 510 but none is wearing Elixir strings anymore.
I tried former basic Martin 140, but now use ernie ball Al/Br on the 322 and
D'Addario Ni/Br on the 412 and Dragon Skin on the 510.

One should always try different string types when the tone does not meet expectations.
I have Didarrio string on the Yamaha and Elixirs on the Taylor. I had Elixir on my Yamaha at one point and HATED it. So yeah, definitely could be a factor there.
Old 11-11-2021, 02:24 PM

I want to thank all of you for some greatly detailed responses. You've all helped quite a bit actually.

I am going to keep the Taylor because I DO plan to record, get into fingerpicking, etc. And the Taylor will suit that very well. The higher down the neck you go, the better it sounds because of the intonation.

It by no means sounds horrible at all, it's just that the 2 I played in Guitar Center seemed to have spoken to me more than this one I bought from Sweetwater.

Also, I hate Elixir springs. That's what is on there now as Taylor puts those on most of their guitars from the factory. Had them on the Yamaha as well at one point, hated them on it too. Switched it D'daddario's and it was perfect.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:11 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcorey28 View Post
I want to thank all of you for some greatly detailed responses. You've all helped quite a bit actually.

It by no means sounds horrible at all, it's just that the 2 I played in Guitar Center seemed to have spoken to me more than this one I bought from Sweetwater.
Acoustic guitars are all very individual. If you play one in a store that blows you away, BUY THAT ONE and not one mail order.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:07 AM

Maybe you just really like dreads. I’d give the old DN3/ 310 a look and save a few bucks. Unfortunately not everything Andy Powers designs is great.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:40 AM

I have the DN3 and it is amazing. Of course your taste comes into play. However a well constructed dreadnought is really hard to beat for sound in my opinion. Have played many more expensive guitars (2-3k) and expect to be wowed, and it's really not the case. Often I put the guitar back on the hook and think, nice but you know, it's not as nice as my DN3.

I have wondered whether or not I would give up something going to a smaller body guitar. I like the feel of a 000 or 00 even. However, without spending a lot more money, it's usually hard to match or outperform a dreadnought for rich tone and volume.

A set up and medium strings would be my choice on 314. That's me though. You should play with strings for a bit and get a decent set up once you pick the gauge you prefer. Then if you still love your yamaha more. well. sell the taylor. If you can return it, then do that if you are not bonding with it and explore some other dreadnoughts, or just buy a nice little upgrade for your yamaha and play it.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:17 PM

Awhile back I went to Carter Vintage guitars in Nashville and played a load of used Martins - 18 & 28's - a D21, about 10 years old really caught my ear - I played it for awhile and then went back out to my van and played my 5 year old Yamaha ll6 - couldn't tell the difference - I was a very happy camper.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:16 PM

Same experience for me. I had an old USA Martin X Series dread, which I loved, with great Martin tone. Then I bought a cheap second hand Yamaha as a beater, quite old with a very low saddle, great action. Spruce top with Jacaranda back and sides. I got a bit frustrated in the end because it bested my Martin in every respect.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:46 PM

I don't think going to medium strings would benefit cause the action is already a bit high as it is So going from the Light ones that come on it to Medium might make it even worse. I could do so and lower the action, but I'll then lose some volume overall I'd think.

My Yamaha is set up with Light strings and the action is phenomenal. Guitar Center tech did a great job on it. Wondering if they could make the Taylor a bit better for me as well.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakey View Post
Same experience for me. I had an old USA Martin X Series dread, which I loved, with great Martin tone. Then I bought a cheap second hand Yamaha as a beater, quite old with a very low saddle, great action. Spruce top with Jacaranda back and sides. I got a bit frustrated in the end because it bested my Martin in every respect.
Man, I never would've thought as a beginner of beginners last year that Yamaha would make such great guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
314ce, fg800, taylor, yamaha