The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 12:19 PM

Default SOLD McPherson Redwood/Rosewood 5.0XP Guitar - SOLD

I am offering a beautiful MINT CONDITION McPherson 5.0XP guitar with Redwood top and Eastern Indian Rosewood back/sides. Comes with the original Ameritage Humidified Case. . Actual shipping costs to CONUS can be negotiated.

This guitar is in absolute pristine condition. Aesthetically and sonically, this guitar is amazing and a 10++. I am the second owner. This guitar has been used at home and occasionally at our church. Comes with the original factory-installed LR Baggs pick up.

This particular McPherson was purchased by the original owner (a physician in Arizona) in 2006 from Cave Creek Guitars north of Scottsdale. At the time Cave Creek was one of the top McPherson dealers in the U.S.

Reason for the sale: I have a rare neurological disease called Transverse Myelitis which impacts mobility and balance. About two years ago, I fell in a parking lot and tore the rotator cuff in both shoulders. After having several shoulder surgeries and with physical therapy, I find that I cannot really play like I used to. It is difficult for me to hold a guitar for any length of time and this one is very built very solid and heavy. For this reason, and in addition to our medical expenses, necessitates this sale. Letting go of this one is tough and saddens me greatly, but I would rather someone have this to play and enjoy rather than having it sit in the case in a closet.

McPherson Guitars combine exquisite craftsmanship and cutting edge guitar design. McPherson Guitars feature revolutionary Offset Soundhole Technology, State-of-the-Art Bracing, and unique "no-touch" Cantilevered Neck design. Collectively, these technologies allow the top of the instrument to vibrate and resound to its fullest potential."

Last edited by pastorchuck; 09-01-2021 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:54 PM

What a beauty!! Good luck with the sale!
Old 08-11-2021, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Default McPherson 5.0XP

I have only played 2 McPherson guitars in the past but both of them left a big impression and smile on my face when I played them.

Since Chuck lives in the DFW area I reached out to him to see if we could meet up for me to demo his guitar. Even after I told him I wouldn't be in a position to buy unless I sold one of my guitars he still wanted to make sure I had a chance to check it out. That happened yesterday when he kindly brought the guitar to my home. We hadn't met before and now I have another new local AGF friend.

The first thing I noticed when I took the guitar out of its case was the excellent condition this 16 year old instrument is in. We sat outside on my covered back patio and there was plenty of sunlight to illuminate any cosmetic issues and there just weren't any that I could see. The guitar is currently strung with John Pearce Mediums and has a full, lush tone with plenty of volume when strummed. When played fingerstyle the guitar sounded lovely when played softly with fingertips and responded well when played a bit louder with nails. I A/B'd this guitar with my Sinker RW topped Taylor. Both sounded excellent but the low end and less up front trebles on the McPherson were notable. I didn't feel comfortable really digging in with a pick and I didn't play the guitar plugged in so I can't comment on that. There is a Baggs Element UST with volume control in the soundhole that Chuck told me served him well in a worship band setting. The Redwood topped McPherson was noticeably warmer sounding with less immediacy and snap than my favorite 10 year old Euro-spruce - Madi-RW Razo GA that I also A/B'd the guitar with.

I'm at my limit on steel string guitars at the moment or this one might have found a new home with me.

So, FWIW there is my unaffiliated look at this instrument. I think someone who enjoys a larger bodied guitar with great sound would be happy with this guitar.

Good luck with your sale Chuck!

Last edited by doodahdoug; 08-11-2021 at 06:54 AM. Reason: picture added
Old 08-18-2021, 09:41 AM

This guitar is built like a tank, sounds like a grand piano and looks like a piece of art!! What more could you want in a guitar? I would love for someone to have this to use and enjoy.
Old 08-18-2021, 04:16 PM

Pastor chuck,
I am sorry to hear of your medical obstacles.
Perhaps a smaller guitar would work for you.

That’s a really nice guitar.

🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼
1980 Nakade classical, Spruce/EIR
and... a bunch of ukulele
Old 08-18-2021, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

That’s a dream guitar for me! I keep looking at it and trying my best not to sell everything I have to get it!!
Old 09-01-2021, 07:42 PM

This guitar has sold.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Dang!!! I missed it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
5.0xp, mcpherson, redwood, rosewood