The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2022, 06:26 AM

Default What's your practice routine?

What does everyone's practice routine look like? Scales practice, learning specific songs, song writing, finger exercises etc. I am trying to change this part of my guitar life up a bit. Currently I just go to the music room and noodle around without much structure to my routine. I'm looking for some inspiration! Interested to hear how you all structure your guitar practice/routine.

Adam
Old 09-28-2022, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Almost every day around 4:00 I mix a drink and grab my guitar. I take lessons so first I warm up a little with some scales and then I focus on my lesson for awhile. Maybe a half hour, give or take. I don't watch the clock or a timer, I just go until I get my fill. Lessons give what structure and accountability there is to my practice.

Then when I feel like I got enough of that I play and sing some songs. They might be old ones off my play list that I've been playing forever or new ones that I think sound fun. I work in walk ups, slides, pull offs and hammer ons, different chord voicings and little riffs to see if I can fancify them up. I just have fun with them. My wife is a bass player and often times she will come down to play them with me. That's good practice in itself. This whole thing lasts maybe an hour or more. Sometimes less if I have something else I need to do. Like I said, I don't punch a time clock. I seldom miss a day though and it is always very relaxed.

Often times if I'm feeling it, I'm retired so I have a lot of time, I take a guitar out on the patio or the front porch and just play it. Songs that I know by heart or maybe play little riffs, just play whatever comes to me. I also do that in evenings when my wife is gone for her exercise classes or whatever she does. But that isn't practice, that's just playing. I would say in all I'm playing a couple hours some days between practice and just entertaining myself.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 09-28-2022 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:26 AM

I try to play at least 30 minutes. Often it goes longer.

I play out of my notebook of jam songs. When there is something I want to work on I will go through it 3 times. No more then 3 because then I am re-enforcing the same mistakes.

After the 3rd time through I go to something else. Then I may come back to it for 3 more times.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 09-28-2022, 07:38 AM

Come home from work, snuggle the critters for a bit, then feed them and do a little food prep. Play for a half hour or so, a mix of something old and something new. After the wife gets home cook dinner, eat, and watch a little TV. After she heads to bed to read I’ll go play for an hour or so. Sometimes up to two. I pretty much only work on songs. I feel like I should do scales and other skills drills but I don’t.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 09-28-2022, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

I pick up the guitar at random times, often when I'm on hold, and play. If I am learning a song, I play that song. When I'm done I put the guitar down until next time. I've always done that, even as a beginner.

I like to keep my routine arduous and unrelenting.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:42 AM

To me playing is practice. I play just about every night and most mornings. I'm a song person. I have an every-increasing play list and I try to add to it with songs that challenge me a little bit.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 09-28-2022, 08:01 AM

Warm up - chord changes, chromatic drill, single note drill, a few etude in keys, a bunch of g runs and I finish with a few fiddle tunes I'm polishing.

Actual Practice - 6 songs, 10-15 minutes each, then I go over the songs I'm polishing.

Before bed when groggy - play over backing tracks or just improvise while I record it for ideas.

Then there is just noodling while watching tv. I don't count that.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:52 AM

I am so inconsistent that I don't think I can call what I do a routine. It makes me feel bad in a guilty kind of way.

With respect to this guilt, there is some relief to doing scales. Right now I'm working on melodic minor in seven different positions ascending and descending in 3rds. Staccato and legato. Straight and triplet swing feel (shuffle). It's not very musical but when I notice progress I feel a bit better.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

My daily routine is this:
Warmups - these usually consist of little phrases in songs that I'll need to practice. I'll start out very slow and move up the speed using a metronome.

If I'm preparing for a tour or an upcoming gig I'll go over a number of songs that I'll plan on using.

Whenever I work on a new instrumental I'll devote at least an hour a day for a few weeks. If it's a new song it usually takes me a few days, depending on the complexity of the piece.

All in all I'll practice for a couple of hours on a daily basis.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

I don't unless I'm learning a new tune for a gig or working on a score for a theater production. I rarely pick up a guitar unless there's a purpose and, lately, there hasn't been one. I'm not the type of person who can play for myself - I need an audience. After 60+ years, I know lots of tunes and once I learn one, I rarely forget it, and, I've not lost any physical dexterity at 77 yrs old, so I can pretty much play whatever I need to when the need arises. The need has not arisen much, lately, however.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Work first, reward later. If time is short, skip the reward.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-28-2022, 03:25 PM

I always have one or two of mine out on a stand next to me in my office. When the spirit moves me (like when I get tired of looking at the computer screen) I work on songs that I'm learning and will pick a couple out that I already know.

In the evening I'll play more purposefully. When I get tired my playing gets sloppier and more frustrating so I don't usually go too late.

I just signed up for a class at the local school of folk music which begins next month. I'm excited for that and the variety it'll bring.
Fender EJ Strat
Old 09-28-2022, 04:54 PM

I always start with Brandon Acker's warm up, which takes 5 minutes. Had I discovered it earlier, I'd be a much better player today.
https://youtu.be/NgY2S_zoPoc
Old 09-28-2022, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

I'll preface this with it depends on what you want to learn.

As for me it's pick up the guitar and warm up. That is holding the guitar, feeling the fret board, lightly pick this or that and do some runs or whatever. That works into actual playing and going over a perspective tune I'm contemplating and arranging. From there I play tunes I'm going to play at my next show. If I feel like it, I'll keep going. For me it's a balance of energy and physical limitations. I don't want to trash my fretting hand and be out of the mood to play when I do a show. I will visit my guitar here and there throughout the day working on perspective material but that's more like noodling.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-28-2022, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

For whatever tune I am working on that I am serious about it will be repetition, repetition, and repetition. Not much into exercises on their own.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion