The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2022, 04:23 PM

Default I'm almost depressed.......

Why you ask?

Well, 6/09/22 I bought a used Martin D-15M Streetmaster off of Reverb from a dealer. I paid $1350 for it which was a little more that I wanted to spend.

My father was 45 years old when I was born. I'm 62 years old now. Perhaps because my father went through the great depression and WWII, I have always tried to take care of things that I have had like I would never be able to get another one. The fact that I'm not a wealthy man has probably amplified that personality trait in me.

So, when the Martin came in I strummed it a little and put it away in my closet, where it has been until recently.
Recently AGF members have convinced me that life is too short and I should not worry so much about something happening to one of my guitars; that I should get the good ones out and enjoy playing them, so I am doing just that.

When I started playing the Martin for real, I moved down the neck and instantly noticed the action was too high. I carried it to my luthier to have a setup done. He looked the guitar over and measured the action at the 12th fret and found it to be 1/4" high as he moved down the neck it got up to 5/16". The saddle is really high, but he mentioned that it might need a neck reset.

It's practically brand new! It's in mint condition except for that high action. He's going to do the setup for $75 and then let me know if the neck needs work. He said a neck reset can sometimes get messy.

Me, I feel like I just dropped one of my kids off at the hospital for tests and could find out in a day or two that they need major surgery.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Have you contacted the seller with this newly learned information? I wouldn't think a guitar in MINT condition would require a neck reset, no matter how new it looks...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-27-2022, 04:46 PM

If the saddle is really high, you should be able to easily lower the action.

You need to worry about a neck reset when you have high action and a really low saddle.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Have you contacted the seller with this newly learned information? I wouldn't think a guitar in MINT condition would require a neck reset, no matter how new it looks...

…..I’m glad to hear you’re only almost depressed….life is way too short and getting shorter every day….I predict your guitar will not need a reset and it will all be good*….

…*disclaimer….I’ve been wrong before

Last edited by J Patrick; 09-27-2022 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:03 PM

$75 isn’t the end of the world. Small potatoes if it’s a nice sounding guitar.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 09-27-2022, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Hopefully a setup fixes things and it doesn't need a neck reset, but that's a good lesson to fully inspect a guitar when you receive it. Don't think the seller is going to do anything for you over 3.5 months later unfortunately.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:17 PM

If the dealer on Reverb was a Martin dealer and you are first owner, then thee things should be covered under warranty.

If not, I sure hope for your sake that it does not also need a neck reset.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:20 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
If the dealer on Reverb was a Martin dealer and you are first owner, then thee things should be covered under warranty.

If not, I sure hope for your sake that it does not also need a neck reset.
He said it was a used guitar. Therefore, no warranty.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

If the 12th fret is 1/4” and it’s 5/16” closer to the nut (do I have that right?), then the neck has too much relief, aka the truss rod is too loose. Tightening it will also help with action, although that’s not the primary purpose of the truss rod. You next want to check where the line of the frets meets the bridge, and the amount of saddle available above that point. Maybe the nut, too, depending on how knowledgeable the previous owner was about keeping the guitar in good form.

If your tech knows what he’s doing, things should turn out well — IF you don’t need a neck reset. If you do, you’ll pay for that, but afterwards you’ll have a great guitar. A Martin 16 can always be set up to perform well.

Now you’ve got our attention. Keep us posted on the progress, and good luck!
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 09-27-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
If the 12th fret is 1/4” and it’s 5/16” closer to the nut (do I have that right?), then the neck has too much relief, aka the truss rod is too loose. Tightening it will also help with action, although that’s not the primary purpose of the truss rod.
There's absolutely no way to tell this without looking at the guitar. It certainly might be part of the problem but there are a number of reasons that the action can be high that have nothing to do with neck relief. You can have a guitar with a neck back bow and still have high action.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:01 PM

Default Update

Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes. I heard back from the luthier and it sounds like my baby is going to be okay. He got it to 5/64 on the bass side and 3/64 on the treble side. Took most of it off the saddle and adjusted the truss rod for the rest. He said it was sounding great.

And yes, I got that wrong. I ment down toward the body not down note wise.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Excellent! 5/64 is a good, low action. I’ll bet the guitar plays great now.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 09-28-2022, 02:46 AM

Exactly the same thing happened to me with my OM18e which was completely new in its case. It all happened in just two weeks without touching her. I was able to solve it that I had to lower the bridge saddle to the maximum and also touch the neck screw. In the end I ended up selling it. It had never happened to me with any of my much cheaper guitars, so since then I don't feel like trying another Martin.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 09-28-2022, 03:41 AM
Charter Member

Glad she’s ok!

I have to say, your story shows why we should play play play! Martin isnt there to build closet queens!

At 54 and after a few health bumps (enough to dispel that youthful notion of invincibility) I no longer save guitars for later. They get played or move out to make room for ones that will!

Enjoy your new set up!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-28-2022, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Yes, this. I think you should begin communication with the dealer before getting the final diagnosis, just give them a heads up that things may not be right.

As for you, I'm 64, my dad was 44 when I was born. I get it. Hang in there, this is not worth going in the emotional dumps...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion