The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2022, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Huss and Dalton tone consistency throughout models

For folks who have owned or played several H&D models, would you say the tone is pretty consistent throughout?

I ask because I just pulled the trigger on my first H&D!! I’m super excited but it was a sight unseen purchase from here on AGF and it arrives next week. Recently I played a couple higher end models and was pretty blown away by the quick response and tonal qualities. Would a less expensive road series model be about the same?
Old 09-27-2022, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

I don't really know, but I think at this quality level, you will like the guitar. You will know soon enough. I can't recall not liking a guitar after liking a guitar of the same brand. There are guitars that folks rave about that I just don't like, but that means squat to anyone else.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-27-2022, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

I've owned several H&Ds and have visited their shop (located about 25 miles from my front door) several times. I think you'll appreciate your new H&D more if you take it on its own terms rather than trying to compare it to more expensive models in their line-up. Circling back to your original question, I would think that largely hand-built guitars that use a small amount of automation are going to be more open to tonal variation, especially if you're talking about guitars from opposite ends of the price range...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-27-2022, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

I Love Huss & Dalton tone and quality. I'm currently on my third model, a TD-R, with the other long-gone ones being a DS rosewood, and a DR-H. All have sounded excellent in their designs.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-27-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I think you'll appreciate your new H&D more if you take it on its own terms rather than trying to compare it to more expensive models in their line-up. Circling back to your original question, I would think that largely hand-built guitars that use a small amount of automation are going to be more open to tonal variation, especially if you're talking about guitars from opposite ends of the price range...
^^^ this ^^^
2019 Ryan Nightingale Bearclaw Sitka/EIR

Old 09-27-2022, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Consistency is what Huss and Dalton is all about. If you like the way they design and build guitars, you will probably like every H&D that you pick up. Small shop with consistent staff.

What model did you buy? I've owned two TDRs and both were great. I still have one of them and likely always will.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:09 PM

I would say their tone is consistent. Quality in the build may vary. I've played some Huss & Daltons that were very loud and responsive. I've also played some that sounded tight and needed opening up (with no guarantee that they would open up). Collings, on the other hand, are more consistently loud and responsive. Another brand in my opinion that has less consistency in quality are Bourgeois, where some can be amazing and some can be disappointing. But there's no mistaking their tone. Huss & Dalton have a strong midrange. I think of them as being Martins with a bit less depth in the bass and a bit more clarity in the midrange.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

I got the road series 000, Sitka/rosewood. The most affordable model I could find . I’ve had my eye out for one for a while now so it seemed like fate when this one popped up. But man when I played the fancy model at my LGS I was even more sold on H&D. It was a maple body sunburst guitar, light as a feather and so responsive and loud.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
I got the road series 000, Sitka/rosewood. The most affordable model I could find . I’ve had my eye out for one for a while now so it seemed like fate when this one popped up. But man when I played the fancy model at my LGS I was even more sold on H&D. It was a maple body sunburst guitar, light as a feather and so responsive and loud.
I've played probably 10 different H&D guitars, and have yet to find one that I would not want to own. I currently own the OM Road Series version of your upcoming guitar, and they are every bit as good, sound wise and playability wise, as the standard more expensive models. The only real differences are the rosewood fretboard and bridge, matte satin finish back and sides, & non-Waverly tuners.

By the way, you're lucky I put a moratorium on my guitar purchases after buying three instruments over the past 6 months - otherwise that 000 would have been mine about 4 weeks ago!

Enjoy your new guitar - you are gonna love it!
Old 09-28-2022, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

I owned three…all excellent guitars…
Old 09-28-2022, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
But man when I played the fancy model at my LGS I was even more sold on H&D. It was a maple body sunburst guitar, light as a feather and so responsive and loud.
Which LGS? Harry’s?
Old 09-28-2022, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I've owned my H&D for many years. As I'm a professional guitarist, out of all the guitars I've owned over the years my H&D MJC is the weapon of choice.

I've played numerous H&D guitars over the years in my travels. I even had a friend of mine use his during some of my tours in England. All in all I believe they are among the finest high end guitars money can buy. I would easily put them up against of the other makes in that same price range, including the ones made by a single builder.. who usually charges much more.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
Which LGS? Harry’s?
Music Barn in Greensboro. They have a few nice guitars on consignment.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have played a number of H & Ds over the years and find them to be consistently good guitars. I’ll look forward to your report once the guitar arrives.
Best,
Jayne
Old 09-28-2022, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Huss & Dalton produce different models and each of those models is intended to have a sound of its own to some degree. A large-bodied rosewood guitar isn't intended to sound just like a small-bodied mahogany guitar, for example. But I think it's fair to expect them all to sound like a very good version fo what they are. I've owned three Huss & Dalton giuitars, still own two. And I've played a whole lot more. I've also visited the factory in Staunton. They're among my favorite guitars.

If you're buying one used and it doesn't sound as good as you'd expected, I'd look to string choice, humidity level, or perhaps setup as factors. The instruments themselves, in my experience, are quite consistently good. If one has dead strings, has been shipped from an overly-damp or overly dry environment, or isn't set up properly, it may not be performing up to its potential. But kept in good shape, they don't often disappoint.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion