The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-20-2022, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

Default Acoustic compression Discussion

Hi all,
Got an Analogman 3-knob Comprossor after reading how great they are. Basically a 70s type Ross compressor with external mix pot.

I keep hearing how it sweetens tone, and it will be an “always on” box, but Im not feeling (hearing) the love.

Acoustic or electric. Is it fair to say that a less-aggressive playing style will fail to highlight the benefits of compression? As it is, the only difference I hear is a slight hum when quiet, when its trying to add gain to a quiet signal.

Any thoughts or experiences are welcome.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-20-2022, 05:06 AM

My understanding is from reading rather than experience, but as I understand it, the MXR Dyna Comp and all its clones (such as Ross and Analogman) are FET-based, and colour your tone - which works in way that is widely liked for electric, but not so liked for acoustic.

You may find optical compressors more suitable - the Mooer Yellow Comp seems to get mentioned a lot.

Last edited by -GF-; 09-20-2022 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:09 AM

The compressor works best as a controller of dynamics - if you’re a fairly clean player (no extraneous string noise and equal volume in your plucking/strumming, then you won’t notice a compressor much. But the mooer yellow Comp, as stated above, may help, as it works differently.
Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster (2012)
Squier Vintage Modifed Telecaster w Bigsby (2015)
Epiphone MM40l Masterbilt mandolin
Epiphone MM50e mandolin
Gretsch New Yorker Supreme mandolin
Washburn mandolin
Jbovier ELS mandolin
Ibanez RB850 4-string bass
Ibanez SGDR 5 string bass
Washburn Banjo
Old 09-20-2022, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Dave, I agree that an aggressive attack will bring out more of the compressor "sound" or pop..
But a comp with a less aggressive attack can still provide a subtle smoothing, just not as obvious.

Since the Mooer Yellow Comp has been mentioned, I'll chime in. I use it as a clean boost with my acoustic to play over loops. It works well but does add a slight mid range bump

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 09-20-2022 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Only time I add compression to an acoustic is after tracks have been recorded. Add to taste.

I use an always on compressor for electric. But, very minimal.

IMO if you can actually hear it, you've got too much.

As always, any processing is subjective.

No one can decide what's best but you.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:08 AM

“Hearing a compressor” can produce a desired effect on certain types of solos in conjunction with a delay with an electric guitar. I’ve heard it in demos and it’s rather interesting.
As far as using a compressor with an acoustic, I use a Moorer “Optical” Comp when I play live.
I do find it “fattens my tone”.
I can play pretty hard at times so the compressor can even things out a bit as well.
As far as whether you need one or not…that’s subjective.
If you’re not liking what you’re hearing, don’t use it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-20-2022, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Hi all,
Got an Analogman 3-knob Comprossor after reading how great they are. Basically a 70s type Ross compressor with external mix pot.

I keep hearing how it sweetens tone, and it will be an “always on” box, but Im not feeling (hearing) the love.

Acoustic or electric. Is it fair to say that a less-aggressive playing style will fail to highlight the benefits of compression? As it is, the only difference I hear is a slight hum when quiet, when its trying to add gain to a quiet signal.

Any thoughts or experiences are welcome.
My experience with a"Compression" is that it is one of the most misunderstood audio effects processes .

Now I am guessing in the hands of a very skilled and very experience audio mixing engineer,, that it can be used to shape tone as well as dynamics .

I am also guessing that for 95% of people that use them, they are probably only falling prey to the well established and documented phenomenon where even slightly louder sounds better... Which will often manifest itself with phrases like "sweetens tone" etc. (just my theory about such vocabulary)

For me the use is more about dynamics and moving elements either more forward or backward in the mix,,,, than tone shaping..

In my mixes if I use a compressor with no makeup gain , it will tend to move the compressed signal further back into the mix. ( often stated as "sit in the mix")... If makeup gain is applied then the result can either move the signal back to its original front to back position in the mix ....Or with more makeup gain, begin to move signal more forward in the mix.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-20-2022, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

I don't consider the compression effect a 'sweetener'. I'd describe in layman's terms as more of an 'evener' in that it evens out the sound levels a bit between heavy and light attack.

The only pedal I ever tried that was a sure-fire 'sweetener' is the wonderful little TC Electronics Body Rez pedal.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I like the natural compression of a hardwood top like mahogany or koa. Play hard and you get a limiting effect that brings all the stings up to an even volume.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:32 PM

For whatever reason in 40+ years of playing I’ve never been able to dial in a compressor to something that I thought added to the tone/vibe/whatever.

I read and hear all kinds of good things about them so I wish I could duplicate that. But maybe that wire just didn’t get connected for me. Who know.

My 30M has a one knob compressor in the effects which I leave on just a little bit on the guitar channel mostly because I’m sure it’s better that way even if I can’t hear it. Lol.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtxaz21 View Post
For whatever reason in 40+ years of playing I’ve never been able to dial in a compressor to something that I thought added to the tone/vibe/whatever.

I read and hear all kinds of good things about them so I wish I could duplicate that. But maybe that wire just didn’t get connected for me. Who know.

My 30M has a one knob compressor in the effects which I leave on just a little bit on the guitar channel mostly because I’m sure it’s better that way even if I can’t hear it. Lol.
I think we're in the same boat!

Was hoping there was some trick I was missing, that would make them sound great on my set up, and help me play barre-F chords better.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-20-2022, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

There's always the LR Baggs Session DI that's designed for acoustic-guitar tone with its Multiband Compression feature that can have a nice effect on acoustic guitar tone. The Session DI also has Saturation that can fatten the tone kind of like tube overdrive but it needs to be used very carefully or noticeable distortion can be heard. When I set the pedal for my tonal preferences, it's subtle but does something really nice for my amplified tone--I like this peddle!

LR Baggs Session DI Acoustic Guitar Preamp

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-22-2022 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I don't consider the compression effect a 'sweetener'. I'd describe in layman's terms as more of an 'evener' in that it evens out the sound levels a bit between heavy and light attack.

The only pedal I ever tried that was a sure-fire 'sweetener' is the wonderful little TC Electronics Body Rez pedal.
Mike Piera (Analog Mike) says “its like pouring honey all over your tone.” Not sure I’ll ever understand that one! But I agree with you on the TC BodyRez. Not sure what all it sprinkles on tone, but it does sound nice.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-20-2022, 08:25 PM

I use a Mooer Yellow on my pedalboard, but not for any "sweetening" or tone shaping at all. It's just there--at its lowest setting--to provide a bit of evenness as I go from delicate fingerstyle pieces to hard strummers, or accidentally create some kind of transient bang or squeak. (I use the boost on my preamp, which comes after the Mooer in the effects loop, to bring up the level of quieter stuff, so the comp isn't working as a boost.)
Old 09-20-2022, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I think we're in the same boat!

Was hoping there was some trick I was missing, that would make them sound great on my set up, and help me play barre-F chords better.

I’ve only found one trick that helps on the barre F…

The dreaded P word

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification