The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-17-2022, 04:21 PM

Default Replaced my first nut, but I think string spacing is a bit too narrow

Howdy all,

I have a 2019 J-45 Vintage that I bought used and had a fairly rough nut and tuning was a bit of an issue... so I ordered a standard width StewMac Gibson nut for replacement.

It is about 1.5mm narrower then the factory one with regards to string spacing... tho the factory nut was not cut centered so that does not help... I went ahead and shaped it anyway just for the practice. My string spacing is about 3/32 from the edge of the fret to the string - I had read 1/16 was the goal so I am a bit narrow and can feel a slight difference.

What's your thoughts? Live with it, or go ahead and buy a complete blank and shape a new one?

Thanks!

Last edited by Dean Riley; 09-17-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:05 PM

Forget the spacing from the fret end, use the edge of the board to center of the string slots at both edges at the nut location.

It can vary a bit, but I like to simplify and make 1st and 6th string centers 1/8" from the fretboard edge.

Your 3/32" "suggestion" is pushing it, and your 1/16" is less than that.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

My guitars are typically about 1/8" inset on the high "e", and a little less on the low "E", perhaps 3/32". If the "e" is too close to the edge the hand can damp it at unfortunate moments. Additionally, the hand tends to pull on the high string, causing it to fall off the fret end if it is too close.
Old 09-18-2022, 03:29 AM

Default That looks pretty good to me.

A bit of extra space between the string and the edge of the fingerboard can be helpful to avoid pulling the string off the edge of the fret’s top surface, particularly on the high E.

The nut shaping and string spacing look pretty good to my eye. I’d play it for a while and see how it goes.
Old 09-18-2022, 05:56 AM

In line with everyone else, it looks fine to me. I had the job done about 6 weeks ago. My OM had 43mm nut, with 35mm string spacing at the nut. Got the spacing changed to 37mm, leaving approx less than 3mm (even less I suppose at the 6th) to the ends. That would be around 3/32 to play with. Wouldn't go less than that. Yours is tickety-boo.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:50 AM

Default a thought

No discussion here about the e-strings-to-edge dimension along the length of the fingerboard: do the 'e' strings parallel the fingerboard edge? If so, does it feel good playing? If so, OP's done. If OP wants wider string spacing, then there's published techniques (there's many different ones) to spread the strings farther apart on the next nut.

(the new nut's string spacing looks nice to me as-is, from what I see in the picture, but I'm not playing that guitar).
Old 09-19-2022, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback all!

So I have been playing for several hours - intonation and tuning stability are much improved so happy there :-)

It plays well and seems to work... I do notice with my small fingers that thumb over top chords are a little harder then before.

I think I'm gonna buy a full blank and experiment... no harm in trying and I have this nut that works and the off center factory to go back to in a pinch.

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by Dean Riley; 09-19-2022 at 12:37 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair