The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-14-2022, 05:21 PM

Question Which way should I turn my Taylor's truss rod?

I've recently acquired a Taylor 110e 6-string. Its action was too high for my style, so I sanded the saddle with good results. Then, about three weeks later, the strings abruptly got high again. The guitar's belly has a slight outward curve, so slight it could've been there since the day I got it. After doing some internet research, I suspect that the high humidity could've caused this. The hygrometer in my guitar room has been at 80% for weeks. My Taylor has a light finish, making it susceptible to humidity problems.

I've had my guitar shut in a hard case with dehumidifier packs for a few days, but its action is still very high. My local Guitar Center doesn't have a repair tech right now. I'd like to adjust the truss rod, accessible at the headstock, but I'm not sure which way to crank it.

Clockwise or counter-clockwise: That is the question.

Old 09-14-2022, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo MacIntosh View Post
I've recently acquired a Taylor 110e 6-string. Its action was too high for my style, so I sanded the saddle with good results. Then, about three weeks later, the strings abruptly got high again. The guitar's belly has a slight outward curve, so slight it could've been there since the day I got it. After doing some internet research, I suspect that the high humidity could've caused this. The hygrometer in my guitar room has been at 80% for weeks. My Taylor has a light finish, making it susceptible to humidity problems.

I've had my guitar shut in a hard case with dehumidifier packs for a few days, but its action is still very high. My local Guitar Center doesn't have a repair tech right now. I'd like to adjust the truss rod, accessible at the headstock, but I'm not sure which way to crank it.

Clockwise or counter-clockwise: That is the question.

Umm, neither...

None of what you've said here points specifically towards making a trussrod adjustment.

Check the neck relief first, and then adjust the trussrod if necessary.

There are lots of places online that will show you how... but, basically put a capo on the first fret (or just hold it down) and hold it down at the 15th fret and check the clearance of the low E at the 7th fret.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 09-14-2022, 07:09 PM

Aside from the truss rod adjustment, you need to do something about the humidity if it’s at 80%, that’s way too high.
40-60% is a safe range
Old 09-14-2022, 08:25 PM

Default a thought

Leo, there's some learning that needs to occur. Please give Taylor customer service a call and ask for guidance on how-to-set-up-a-Taylor. They're made very differently from Martinesque guitars. For example, Taylor saddles don't get sanded to adjust string height, a shim set under the neck gets swapped out (takes five minutes; that's a Taylor 'neck reset'). There's more, but start by calling the mother ship.

And I think the thinness or thickness of the external finish has little to no influence on a guitar's response to ambient humidity, all guitars are bare wood inside.
Old 09-14-2022, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Aside from the truss rod adjustment, you need to do something about the humidity if it’s at 80%, that’s way too high.
40-60% is a safe range
Yeah, and this... I somehow missed that number. That's likely your problem right there.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 09-15-2022, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

Ditto what phav said.

If your car is idling too fast, you dont adjust the front-end alignment. Your current truss situation may or may not have anything to do with string height.

Truss rods adjust the relief (the bow) of the neck only. If its flat or within reason, cranking the truss either way will likely make things WORSE. Thanks
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-15-2022, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
For example, Taylor saddles don't get sanded to adjust string height, a shim set under the neck gets swapped out (takes five minutes; that's a Taylor 'neck reset'). There's more, but start by calling the mother ship.

And I think the thinness or thickness of the external finish has little to no influence on a guitar's response to ambient humidity, all guitars are bare wood inside.
That's a misconception. Adjusting neck angle and adjusting saddle height are two different factors in a proper setup.

Also, quite a few (though certainly not most) guitars have finished insides.

(Call me Dan)
Old 09-15-2022, 07:45 AM

Humidity affects the top belly, which can change the action. Humidity has very little effect on the amount of bow in the neck.
The first approach was correct.....adjust action at the saddle. If the saddle becomes too low, have the neck angle adjusted. On a Taylor, this is accomplished by simply unbolting the neck and swapping shims.
Taylors are not finished inside the body, but even if they were, it will only slow down the moisture change in the wood. It will still end up in equilibrium with the relative humidity of the air.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:35 PM

Hello, thanks for all your helpful replies. You have convinced me not to mess with the truss rod, so tomorrow I'll take the guitar to my local Guitar Center. They don't have a repair tech now, but they'll ship it to a store that does.

If any of you dislike Taylor's guitars, I humbly suggest you give their 110e at try. The older ones have solid spruce tops and layered saplele back & sides. The newer models, like mine, have layered walnut back & sides. To my ears, anyway, the shrill is gone.

Last edited by Leo MacIntosh; 09-15-2022 at 04:36 PM. Reason: I forgot who I was.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair