The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-18-2022, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
The threads are near the soundhole on the rods I use. The ends near the headstock are welded together. For the rare times a truss rod needs lubricating, a port might be overkill. I wonder if a hole could be drilled in the hex socket though that might reach the threads?
That might jeopardise the structural integrity. Maybe a diagonal hole through the block, opening just next to the nut?

Or an access port hidden under one the highest fretboard dot?
Old 09-18-2022, 08:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have thought about this thread. While a hole, not unlike the one for neck sets, could be drilled, the lubricant might reach the rod, but would be unlikely to get into the threads where needed. The first issue I’d have would be that the lube would travel in the wood, particularly in end grain, potentially being visible and cause finish issues as well as structural degrade to the wood itself. Removing the fingerboard and servicing the truss rod, if it doesn’t work well enough, isn’t as big a deal as some might imagine.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:15 PM

Thank you again to all. This has been very educational.

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair