The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-03-2022, 02:15 PM

Hearing a National with nylon strings would be interesting indeed.

No, the piece of leather is not crucial to the sound I want from mine. I've added it only a few months ago when I started noticing that I pulled the cone off-centre, so I know very well how the instrument sounded before and after. That's all there needs to be said about this.

EDIT: I'll take your word on the Del Vecchios because it fits in with what I think I know about their national music styles. But that also makes it strange that the company now only makes steel-string resonators. At some point I did look into getting an old one to use with nylon strings, but that's clearly not in my budget.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 09-03-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Hearing a National with nylon strings would be interesting indeed.

No, the piece of leather is not crucial to the sound I want from mine. I've added it only a few months ago when I started noticing that I pulled the cone off-centre, so I know very well how the instrument sounded before and after. That's all there needs to be said about this.

EDIT: I'll take your word on the Del Vecchios because it fits in with what I think I know about their national music styles. But that also makes it strange that the company now only makes steel-string resonators. At some point I did look into getting an old one to use with nylon strings, but that's clearly not in my budget.
The nylon strings should be here shortly. I'll test for cone movement too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments