The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-28-2022, 09:38 PM

Default Crazy(ish) idea

Has anyone ever tried installing a Warmoth neck on a Big Baby Taylor? I mean it would take a lot of modification I'm sure, but I feel like it could be done. At this point it is just an idea, and I haven't gone as far as even taking it out of the gig bag or measuring the heel/neck pocket. I just figured I could not be the first person to think of this. Any past attempts by forum members?

I'm thinking it would be pretty cool to get a really thick roasted maple neck on there... or even padouk/ebony.

Gibson J15 Walnut Burst // Taylor 210 // Sigma 000m-15s // Washburn R320 // Guild g9100/g9110 (Ukes) // Epiphone M-30s (Mando)
Old 09-29-2022, 04:38 AM

I assume the Big Baby neck bolts on like the smaller Baby Taylor? Similar to a Telecaster ?

If you built your own custom neck, using the Taylor neck as a template, then you wouldn't have to alter the guitar body and you could always put the original back on. You would have your choice of any wood you can find at the wood store, inlay, and headstock style while saving $hundreds.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1 View Post
Has anyone ever tried installing a Warmoth neck on a Big Baby Taylor? I mean it would take a lot of modification I'm sure, but I feel like it could be done. At this point it is just an idea, and I haven't gone as far as even taking it out of the gig bag or measuring the heel/neck pocket. I just figured I could not be the first person to think of this. Any past attempts by forum members?

I'm thinking it would be pretty cool to get a really thick roasted maple neck on there... or even padouk/ebony.
I think there's a very good possibility you ARE the first person to think of this...
Old 09-29-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
I assume the Big Baby neck bolts on like the smaller Baby Taylor? Similar to a Telecaster ?

If you built your own custom neck, using the Taylor neck as a template, then you wouldn't have to alter the guitar body and you could always put the original back on. You would have your choice of any wood you can find at the wood store, inlay, and headstock style while saving $hundreds.
I lack the tools to do that, but I do have the ingenuity to modify things to make it work ... At least I think I do...

Gibson J15 Walnut Burst // Taylor 210 // Sigma 000m-15s // Washburn R320 // Guild g9100/g9110 (Ukes) // Epiphone M-30s (Mando)
Old 09-29-2022, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I think there's a very good possibility you ARE the first person to think of this...
I refuse to believe that. ahahaha

Currently, I'm trying to think of how I would make sure to maintain the exact fret position. It would be a nightmare to intonate the thing if I am even a mm off.

Old 09-30-2022, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1 View Post
I lack the tools to do that, but I do have the ingenuity to modify things to make it work ... At least I think I do...
A trim router with a pattern or flush cut bit is the tool usually used to make or alter the neck pocket. It is also the tool largely used to make a pocket style neck. A jigsaw to rough cut it, A $10, 4 in hand rasp can handle the carving, finished with sandpaper. You can buy a pre slotted, and radiused fretboard from LMI or buy a fretsaw and radius sanding block an do your own. All these are cheaper than a Warmoth neck for around $500.

Better wood stores sell a decent selection of dressed 4 side exotic woods. Buy some 1/4" for a fretboard and 1" for the neck.

If you use your old neck for a template and your original neck pocket, your intonation should come out correctly. If it is off slightly you can fill and re-slot your bridge for a new saddle position.

Good luck on your project.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Nope. Two wood screws right through the finger board at the 16 th fret
2004 Taylor 214
2011 Taylor GC4
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1965 Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Twin Reverb
Old 10-01-2022, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Two wood screws right through the finger board at the 16 th fret
2004 Taylor 214
2011 Taylor GC4
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1965 Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Twin Reverb
Old 10-01-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Abrahamson View Post
Nope. Two wood screws right through the finger board at the 16 th fret
Yes thats how the Baby Taylor is, at least the one I fixed recently.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:06 AM

Not too concerned about the two wood screws at the 16th fret. Could replicate that with a drill and a reamer bit. I did a dry fit with a spare tele neck for the laughs and it didn't occur to me that the Taylor was a 20 fret neck. That extra fret on the tele neck extends into the sound hole. I'd have to remove a fret and cut the neck or cut into the body. I think it would look wicked cool, but I had an epiphany as I played the guitar at a camp fire last weekend... It's not worth the effort ahahah. Crazy(ish) idea has been dropped (for now).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair