The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-26-2022, 01:55 AM

Really makes no difference.

Angling the nut slots simply puts the kink in the string at the front of the nut slot

Straight cutting nut slots, puts the kink in the string at the rear of the nut slot.

Argument could be made that a straight cut nut slot will have two smaller kinks in the string rather than one large kink as presented using a angle cut nut

Reality is whatever floats ones boat.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 09-26-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyb View Post
Yikes !! OP here. I've a started something more than I intended.
Background to my thinking was .... we angle the strings down fort break angle tone improvement, does angling the strings 'sideways' to the posts make any acoustic difference ?

I assumed the answer would have to be based on decades of experience backed by some science.
The questions you raise are valid, and the answers you have received are based on the experience level of the respondents. Unfortunately, you are left to judge for yourself which path you choose to follow. If I were reading the responses I'd have to conclude that it doesn't really matter.

As far as break angle over the nut, that's more or less baked in with the design of the instrument. Design elements such as head stock back angle and tuner string post location are going to determine break angle. The downward slope of the nut slots is done so the string has a clean break point at the front edge of the nut, not as a method of improving tone.

Yes, choice IS based on decades of experience. I personally have about 5 decades under my belt and many of the manufacturers obviously have a lot more than that. I base my answer on what I've found to be true for me. The manufacturers have certainly used the same process in making their choice.

I've never read any definitive scientific proof that angling nut slots toward the string posts has any effect on tone, so there's that. Any claim thereof would fall into the category of pseudoscience.

Your final decision would need to be based on how important you judge the tiny reduction in frictional force at the rear edge of the nut slot is. I don't see a big advantage for me, but others obviously feel differently.

Your call!
Old 09-26-2022, 08:46 AM

I think I'll just play my practical Seagulls with their "so ugly I could never buy one" headstocks" since they leave this issue to moot court.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-28-2022, 10:30 AM

It all comes down to the shape of the head. Thinking like a string, the best way is all straight from the bridge to the tuner post, any deviation from a straight line in the nut will add friction to the string and make it a little bit harder to tune. With a snake head or a Fender shaped head, straight strings are possible.

One of the worst offenders to this is the Levin De Lux archtop that is adorned with a very wide and massive head. But even these guitars can be used and tuned.

Last edited by RogerHaggstrom; 09-28-2022 at 10:35 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair