The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-25-2022, 07:53 PM

I think the tech may have tried to take a shortcut in that he said he levelled some frets above the buzz and then said all the frets were level. As I examine the whole neck more closely, I see there's also fret buzz on the 5th string, fifth through seventh fret. Himm...I'm going to take the guitar in tomorrow and get this dealt with once and for all or return it. I've been back twice already. Your step by step makes sense.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:18 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteblue View Post
I recently bought a Taylor 314ce, took it home then noticed fret buzz on the second fret of the D, a tiny bit on the first fret as well. Buzz begins when I hit the string with what I'd say is medium force with a medium pick. No problem on the A or G, and no problem up the D beyond the fourth fret. Open D is fine. So I figure the issue is that the 3rd fret is a bit high just where the D string crosses it. Took it in to the local Taylor-trained tech and he improved the situation but did not get rid of the buzz entirely. He says the frets are now perfectly level, with the suggestion there's not much more he can do. This isn't good enough on a new, fairly expensive guitar, I figure. What is it that should be done? If the frets are level, then filing down the third fret more may cause problems up the neck, right? How should I approach this at the store? Yes, I could return the guitar, but is there a reasonable fix I can ask for? Thanks for your suggestions.
The Store APPROACHED to rectify 100% or Refund etc.
The original (factory)set up from the store indicated FRET BUZZ=uneven fret height suspected. If so, WHERE the frets installed as is?-*Be AWARE MANY factories simply install the frets & DELIBERATELY AVOID fret levelling & Crowning !=typical factory set up. Any errors/issues now 'hidden' until...FRET BUZZ audible...or ARISES later!(when the player requests a set up to suit 'his' musical preferences.)
INADEQUATE ASSESSMENT now made by local trained tech=If properly trained he would & SHOULD have traced the faults[If any].. at onset =UNEVEN fret height confirmed +Frets now require L & C' ng without error..to thus eliminate fret buzz from arising because of UNEVEN fret height(s)etc.
The future 'purchaser' should have mentioned the 'Fret buzz' to the SELLER =The Counter top salesman! etc..at onset &...arranged FREE rectification=L&C the frets correctly Or find/purchase another Guitar that has no Fret issue etc.
The GTR TECH? claimed the frets WHERE not LEVEL.[Even After he had attempted??? to 'improve the frets condition!= HOW ?What specifically did the tech do.?. What did you pay for ?
The guitar was returned with the same fret issue as before=UNRECTIFIED.
(a) Either he can L & C frets 100% without error or (b) he can't. B is now the obvious conclusion.= REFUND please & FIND an experienced guitar Tech WHO CAN L & C frets correctly & then proceed further to thus set up a guitar to suit the players=YOU...your 'Specific' musical preferences without errors etc..=That is what you expect specifically..in return for (ANY) payment to be made.
The 'naïve' gtr tech should NOT claim he is fully trained +has the competence to 'rectify' when the fret buzz evidently...still remains etc.

Only 3 options here:
Gtr Tech Rectifies 100% for free!!!
Money refunded etc & seek a guitar tech WHO can resolve the fret issue 100%.& anything else now made apparent
Or
DIY it![not recommended without 1st the full 'understanding acquired'+ dexterity in use of the tools required to attain the desired result etc]

Frets CAN be L & C' ed a few times before the loss in fret height leaves too little fret metal remaining=A RE FRET now the only option.=Further expense!
AND..ALL newly installed frets DO require L & C' ng=Without error etc.
There is NO SHORT CUT!
Old 09-25-2022, 09:08 PM

Default gret issue unresolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteblue View Post
I think the tech may have tried to take a shortcut in that he said he levelled some frets above the buzz and then said all the frets were level. As I examine the whole neck more closely, I see there's also fret buzz on the 5th string, fifth through seventh fret. Himm...I'm going to take the guitar in tomorrow and get this dealt with once and for all or return it. I've been back twice already. Your step by step makes sense.
a]One SHOULD level & Crown ALL the frets=Leaves them all 'Equal in there height'=NOW level etc.=If so...fret buzz now ERADICATED etc.
b) but now the string slot depths ALSO must be reduced in there depth=Compensates for loss in fret height, because of l & C' ng procedure. OTHERWISE the original ACTION now will be HIGHER than before etc[LOGIC]
SAME applies to the saddle height-Reduce it..to compensate etc.
c]Fret buzz now arises on another string etc= INADEQUATE L & C' ng now causes MORE fret buzz in differing locations etc= POOR Levelling now magnifies a fret buzz issue elsewhere .
Conclusion:
Instead of L & C' ng ALL the frets etc.[*If done correctly with accuracy etc.. Fret buzz issue RESOLVED 100%.]the inadequate Gtr Tech partially 'sanded' the frets above & Below the offending fret etc.-THIS WOULD leave uneven fret height=Chase your tail to the sea scenario.100% incorrect ,unnecessary procedure to do! to resolve a hi/lo fret issue =Results in uneven fret height here etc. It is 'precarious' & very challenging to do.. without guarantee for any success etc.
d] You have 'highlighted' the fret buzz issue still remaining,+ fret buzz now elsewhere etc 5fret-7th etc etc..=1stly Wrong procedure applied to resolve initial fret issue+ 2ndly if correct-inadequate gtr tech skills now magnified etc., who supposedly is Taylor trained. I ? this now. Maybe the shop advertises/SELLS taylor guitars ,but that's all etc.
e]Dissatisfied,=RETURN guitar. get refunded in full & go ELSEWHERE & purchase a guitar etc.
Remember- Most guitars are sold as is[regardless of brand name]..=You should get a L & C done regardless etc.. included in the set up etc.
A 'Light fret dress'= It IS still L & C' ng but it Will/DOES leave frets Level etc. a necessary requirement, to avoid initial fret buzz.

One CAN learn to DIY it all...[many do WITH success to]...otherwise you must rely 101% on another to act on your behalf ..to now complete the set up that specifically caters ..to your musical preferences.& without Error too etc. There IS no short cut either.[honest Fact]-If there was i' d tell you so!
Old 09-26-2022, 08:21 AM

Thanks. There's no good reason that this guitar can't be made to play properly. I'm not paying anything extra. A proper setup comes with the purchase. If they can't fix the problem, i will return it. The tech has "silver" qualifications from. Taylor, the lowest level.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:27 AM

I took my guitar into the shop where I bought it, for the third time, only to discover every Taylor they had, to varying degrees, had the same problem with second fret on the D! Bizarre. I'm used to a J45, so I tried a couple of Gibsons and Epiphones, with different neck shapes, and...no problem at all! Meaning I guess that the issue is that Taylors have a different radius than Gibsons and that that radius doesn't fit my playing style. Not sure what else the issue could be. I guess I'm used to digging in a bit on my Gibson, maybe a 7-8/10 in force, but Taylors don't accommodate that in that one place on the neck. Strange. They've called Taylor to get their take.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair