The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-07-2022, 06:46 AM

Been a little while now that I pickup up the Cedar topped 12 fret jumbo at the McJam. I think post honeymoon thoughts may be the better for evaluation? Here are my thoughts after a Summer of playing.

1. The 12 fret guitar to me is just the better choice for the older player. It is just more comfortable to play. The less tension on the strings is very noticeable if I go back to my 14 fret. The shorter neck positions the hand better. A cutaway is a necessity, not to negate these advantages.

2. I don’t know if its the 12 fret or the cedar top that accounts for this but this guitar is awesome sounding high on the neck. High bar chords just ring out, outshining my Sitka 14 fret a bit.

3. The Cedar top, at least this one has a much greater dynamic range than my 1959 Sitka which is really saying something given that top is over 60 years old. I can play with the scrape of a fingernail to a full out flatpick. I have slightly altered my playing style to take advantage of this. Makes going back to the Sitka not quite as pleasing? I feel I’m limited in a way. The “lack of headroom” is simply not a issue even when I feel I’m pounding it ala Neil Young.

4. Bottom line the McKight Jumbo has become my main guitar. Going on a vacation shortly and I’m taking it along. Life is short, I’m 71! and its got a good case. My Rainsong would be the rational vacationer but I’m not too rational when it comes to guitars.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 09-07-2022 at 06:57 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop