The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-20-2020, 05:51 AM

Default Microphone + Piezoelectric

Hello,
I have an acoustic guitar with piezoelectric already installed and that I would like to continue using. However, I would like to add an internal microphone for better sound, but without making other holes on the guitar.
Questions:
Is there already on the market a system that allows me to internally (somehow) connect the piezo with the microphone? and get out of the guitar with a single jack?
Or can it be done with any internal miking system and some artifice? (If so, which one?)

Thanks to anyone who can help me
Old 05-20-2020, 06:46 AM
Guitar Gourmet

If you figure out a way, you could replace your mono jack with a stereo one and wire the two to it and use an external blender. That's what many do.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-20-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoller75 View Post
Hello,
I have an acoustic guitar with piezoelectric already installed and that I would like to continue using. However, I would like to add an internal microphone for better sound, but without making other holes on the guitar.
Questions:
Is there already on the market a system that allows me to internally (somehow) connect the piezo with the microphone? and get out of the guitar with a single jack?
Or can it be done with any internal miking system and some artifice? (If so, which one?)

Does your guitar already have a barn door preamp? You said without adding other holes. The reason I ask is there are aftermarket preamps that have mics built in, and or have a provision for an electret condenser mic, and the preamp box may fit your guitar. Check out GFS guitars website and look over their acoustic pickups. On the cheap, and decent quality, that's where I'd start.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Hello,
Questions:

What's the system? If it's a Fishman, you might be able to replace the preamp with their Prefys Blend preamp, which has a microphone as well.

https://www.fishman.com/products/ser...nboard-preamp/
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 05-20-2020, 10:43 AM

Thanks everyone for the answers.
Actually, I am considering buying a new guitar. Unfortunately I am falling in love with a Yamaha AC5R and the guitar is not produced in a non-electrified version (which I would have preferred).

As you can see from the photo, the preamp is particular and if I change it then I should focus on something else.
Yamaha's SRT2 system isn't bad, but it doesn't take percussive sounds. So if I find a suitable solution ok, otherwise I will go elsewhere.

I like the idea of the stereo jack. Would it be feasible with an internal microphone also with preamp? But then where do I enter? Are there effects for acoustic guitar with stereo input? Sorry for my ignorance, but how does the blender work? Need if I already have 2 preamps upstream?
Old 05-20-2020, 11:01 AM

I think to best answer your questions we need to know what guitar you're working with and what kind of playing technique/style you will be doing. I sold an A5R because it didn't pick up the percussive sounds. The new Atmosfeel system in the FSX3 and FSX5 will. But do you need the cutaway. A non-invasive pickup that I have is the Seymour Duncan magic which has a single end pin, a mag pickup and a mic pickup on board. There's lots to consider.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the answers.
Actually, I am considering buying a new guitar. Unfortunately I am falling in love with a Yamaha AC5R and the guitar is not produced in a non-electrified version (which I would have preferred).

As you can see from the photo, the preamp is particular and if I change it then I should focus on something else.
Yamaha's SRT2 system isn't bad, but it doesn't take percussive sounds. So if I find a suitable solution ok, otherwise I will go elsewhere.

I like the idea of the stereo jack. Would it be feasible with an internal microphone also with preamp? But then where do I enter? Are there effects for acoustic guitar with stereo input? Sorry for my ignorance, but how does the blender work? Need if I already have 2 preamps upstream?

You should compare specs and see if Yamaha produce a guitar with the same specs as the AC5R but without electronics. They make so many models that it wouldn’t surprise me if you find the guitar you want without electronics!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-21-2020, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I think to best answer your questions we need to know what guitar you're working with and what kind of playing technique/style you will be doing. I sold an A5R because it didn't pick up the percussive sounds. The new Atmosfeel system in the FSX3 and FSX5 will. But do you need the cutaway. A non-invasive pickup that I have is the Seymour Duncan magic which has a single end pin, a mag pickup and a mic pickup on board. There's lots to consider.
The acoustic guitar that I need must be flexible. I love finerstyle (tommy emmanuel etc ..) and lately I am adding some percussive sounds. For personal enjoyment I don't care that it is amplified. But I play in an acoustic trio (with bass and voice) of pop music in which I use a little of everything: from strumming to fingerstyle to small things with percussive sounds, nothing professional, all very simple, but I would like you to feel all right. However we perform in pubs and weddings.

I currently use a Crafter SM Maho Plus which has a piezo lr baggs and I have added the iRig Acoustic Stage system. Then I send everything to the small ZOOM A2.1u (which I want to change, I really don't like) that I use as DI and for reverb. Then all at the mixer. Simple but sufficient instrumentation. I would like to level up a bit.

The FSX5 is a great option but I prefer the AC5R rosewood backing, which is why I evaluate these solutions. But I'm open to any advice.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hello,
Questions:

Hi z

The Baggs Dual source I used for over a decade was comprised of a preamp-circuit board with inputs to plug the under saddle piezo into, and the mic as well. It was adhered to the inside back of the guitar and powered by 9 volt battery (also internally housed). Worked great.

It had the control volume knobs mounted just under the top of the sound hole.

Here's a link to one for sale - not sure if Baggs makes this particular item any more…mine was wired up by a shop who sold Baggs gear.

Dual Source board - CliCk

Hope this adds to the discussion

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-21-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
The acoustic guitar that I need must be flexible. I love finerstyle (tommy emmanuel etc ..) and lately I am adding some percussive sounds. For personal enjoyment I don't care that it is amplified. But I play in an acoustic trio (with bass and voice) of pop music in which I use a little of everything: from strumming to fingerstyle to small things with percussive sounds, nothing professional, all very simple, but I would like you to feel all right. However we perform in pubs and weddings.

I currently use a Crafter SM Maho Plus which has a piezo lr baggs and I have added the iRig Acoustic Stage system. Then I send everything to the small ZOOM A2.1u (which I want to change, I really don't like) that I use as DI and for reverb. Then all at the mixer. Simple but sufficient instrumentation. I would like to level up a bit.

The FSX5 is a great option but I prefer the AC5R rosewood backing, which is why I evaluate these solutions. But I'm open to any advice.
I am assuming it's the Lr Baggs Element. If so, I would just get the Anthem. You wouldn't even have to modify the saddle height. The other option is to simply use a stereo endpin jack and wire a mic to it and mix them externally. There are lots of mics out there that can be added to a pickup.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:06 AM

Can you recommend a good internal microphone and an external preamplifier with 2 channels?
Old 05-29-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

I've heard and played a bunch of guitars that have both a piezo component and an internal microphone, and I've not been pleased by any of them...

The problem, as I see it, is that the sound I want to hear is my guitar from about a foot or two away from the instrument, out in front... an internal mic is giving me the sound INSIDE the body of the guitar, and they always have this inherent "boxy" quality to the sound, as well as many issues with resonance, feedback and booming bass. People go to a LOT of various machinations to deal with those issues, and that's not something I want to contend with on a regular basis.

I have had great success using a Shure SM-57 along with a UST unit... I position the mic about a foot away from the neck/body join, and I don't turn it up very loud in the mix (which avoids feedback issues), only enough to get that acoustic "breath" and some string noise.

I play seated and moving "off the mic" isn't an issue at all for me. For someone who stands and moves around a lot, this would probably not work very well, but for me, it solves a big problem area with piezo pickups...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-11-2020, 10:03 AM

In the end I think I will go on the Yamaha FSX5 ... but the world is full of pitfalls ... and I thought I would also take the Fishman ToneDEQ.
I notice that the impedance of the FSX5 is 1 kOhm, while the input impedance of the Tonedeq is 10 MOhm (a nice difference mathematically) with input trim from -6 to +14 dB ... ... the my ignorance does not make me understand the relationship between Ohm and dB ... but the question is simple: can I connect the two devices or are they incompatible with each other?

I hope someone can answer me or suggest where I can expand my knowledge about it.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Look at a Tonedexter. You can blend your piezo with your recorded mic tone. By the time you get an onboard mic and figure how to blend it properly and a pre that can supply power to your mic, it would probably be cheaper. The Tonedexter can be used with any guitar in the future.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification