The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-18-2020, 05:01 PM

Default Computer speakers (some minimal mixing)

I'm looking to upgrade my computer speakers (purchased back in the late 90's, the Cambridge Soundworks Microworks). Looks to be 3" satellites with 5" 'subwoofer'.

These are mainly just for listening to music on the PC, but I'd also like to have some minimal mixing capability.

I'm looking at the new CR-X series by Mackie. For one thing, they come with some basic software (ProTools First) for mixing/editing. They're also marketed for pretty much the exact purpose I'm wanting to use them for.

https://mackie.com/products/cr-x-cre...media-monitors

I would probably get the subwoofer (8"), which comes with a nice remote volume knob for both the sub and satellite speakers). It also comes with Bluetooth (not really needed, but can't get the sub without it).

That leaves me with the decision of which satellite speakers to get. I certainly don't need the Bluetooth since it'll be on the sub.

So that leaves the CR-3X, CR-4X, and CR-5X. Basically the same quality and same tweeter, just different sizes of woofer, and the amp power.

They also have 8" available, but those look far too big for what I want, and I wouldn't need the sub in that case.

I'm pretty sure I'd go for the CR-4X or the CR-5X. Probably the CR-5X.

But something nags at me and says just maybe the CR-4X might pair better with the sub?

So, I guess the easiest question to ask is:

Is there any reason I should NOT get the CR-5X and go with the CR-4X, instead?
Old 05-19-2020, 12:12 PM

I had the previous generation of CR5 speakers. Though I really liked them I bet I didn't get 10 hrs of listening before they died. Due to the short warranty period, I couldn't get them replaced. Come to find out, that's pretty common with those speakers. I tried to repair them but ended up just pitching them.

I hope the new models are better but be sure to read the reviews carefully.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:31 PM
Musical minimalist

Last time I upgraded my computer system, I picked up a really nice Denon receiver and a pair of large Polk bookshelf speakers and bought some adjustable monitor stands for them. Have about 130 bucks into the whole thing and it obviously sounds awesome!

Having the receiver gives you much more flexibility with additional inputs if needed.

Only way to go from my standpoint!

Old 05-19-2020, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

https://audioengineusa.com

Excellent products at reasonable prices.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:18 PM

I had some Mackie 5" monitors (mr5 mk3?) for a while but then replaced them with JBL LSR305 a while back - much better sound imho and not very expensive. I don't use a sub, they go down surprisingly deep for their size. You really should try and listen before you buy (hard with coronavirus). I also have some Martin Logan LX16s with those folded tweeters - really nice sounding but need a sub unlike the JBLs. If you have some money then I'd look at Focal Alpha 50s, they're pretty amazing.

Last edited by Shredmaster007; 05-19-2020 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I had the previous generation of CR5 speakers. Though I really liked them I bet I didn't get 10 hrs of listening before they died. . . I hope the new models are better but be sure to read the reviews carefully.
Yeah, I've seen the reviews. The old models were class AB, and the amps were rated at 50 watts (peak).

The new models are class D. The 3" and 4" are rated at 50 watts peak, but the 5" is rated at 80 watts.

That should make them run cooler. And adding the subwoofer should pull even more of the load off.

I've had good luck so far with Mackie stuff. Still have one of their CR1604 mixing boards.

I've seen a comparison to the JBL LRS305 online, and couldn't really tell enough difference. But those were designed for XLR inputs, as I recall. Could be used, but the inputs on the Mackie's are just more made for working with a computer.

I also looked at the AudioEngine stuff, as well as a few others. In the end, the Mackie just seemed to make more sense to me.

As to a full blown receiver, I just didn't want to mess with that. Looked into getting a small tube amp for a brief moment, but quickly realized I just didn't want to go down that path.

A singer/songwriter friend of mine got back to me and said definitely go with the 5", and also get the subwoofer. He's mixing his own album as we speak!

Ordered the 5" . . . the subwoofer is nowhere to be found. I swear they had ONE left on Amazon when I posted this, but it's gone now.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:22 AM

I researched a bunch when I wanted decent powered monitors when downsizing from my 8" two ways with power amp.

I settled on Presonus Eris 5's which I like a lot. As you know, if you need the deep bass you can always add the sub.

The Eris 5s fit the desktop and 5" powered monitors are a good compromise between smaller "computer speakers" and a full-blown larger monitor setup.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I researched a bunch when I wanted decent powered monitors when downsizing from my 8" two ways with power amp.

I settled on Presonus Eris 5's which I like a lot. As you know, if you need the deep bass you can always add the sub.

The Eris 5s fit the desktop and 5" powered monitors are a good compromise between smaller "computer speakers" and a full-blown larger monitor setup.
I have a pair of these, too. I'm very happy with them for listening and for light mixing in my very small workspace.

Louis
Old 05-20-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Yeah, I've seen the reviews. The old models were class AB, and the amps were rated at 50 watts (peak).

The new models are class D. The 3" and 4" are rated at 50 watts peak, but the 5" is rated at 80 watts.

That should make them run cooler. And adding the subwoofer should pull even more of the load off.

I've had good luck so far with Mackie stuff. Still have one of their CR1604 mixing boards.

I've seen a comparison to the JBL LRS305 online, and couldn't really tell enough difference. But those were designed for XLR inputs, as I recall. Could be used, but the inputs on the Mackie's are just more made for working with a computer.

I also looked at the AudioEngine stuff, as well as a few others. In the end, the Mackie just seemed to make more sense to me.

As to a full blown receiver, I just didn't want to mess with that. Looked into getting a small tube amp for a brief moment, but quickly realized I just didn't want to go down that path.

A singer/songwriter friend of mine got back to me and said definitely go with the 5", and also get the subwoofer. He's mixing his own album as we speak!

Ordered the 5" . . . the subwoofer is nowhere to be found. I swear they had ONE left on Amazon when I posted this, but it's gone now.
The JBLs have 1/4" TRS and also XLR - you can connect with a $5 3.5mm to 1/4" stereo cable (I have one that is like 10 ft long.) I had the JBLs and Mackies side by side for a while - I thought the JBLs had tighter lows and smoother highs, also took up less space, but the Mackies weren't bad.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredmaster007 View Post
The JBLs have 1/4" TRS and also XLR - you can connect with a $5 3.5mm to 1/4" stereo cable (I have one that is like 10 ft long.) I had the JBLs and Mackies side by side for a while - I thought the JBLs had tighter lows and smoother highs, also took up less space, but the Mackies weren't bad.
Did you ever happen to compare with a sub hooked up?

This is the comparison YouTube that I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwLYzDtEUzo

I can hear differences only when I'm watching to see when they switch pairs. Otherwise, it's just too subtle to notice. Listening through some headphones.

The new ones don't have the green circles around the speakers . . they have a green rectangle around the entire front of the box.

I like the control that comes with the sub . . . allows me to easily MECHANICALLY control the volume of the speakers AND the amount of bass through the sub. That actually had a large part in my decision . . . along with the free software that comes with it.

Hopefully the new class D amps will help with the problems the old ones had.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Did you ever happen to compare with a sub hooked up?

This is the comparison YouTube that I found:

I can hear differences only when I'm watching to see when they switch pairs. Otherwise, it's just too subtle to notice. Listening through some headphones.

The new ones don't have the green circles around the speakers . . they have a green rectangle around the entire front of the box.

I like the control that comes with the sub . . . allows me to easily MECHANICALLY control the volume of the speakers AND the amount of bass through the sub. That actually had a large part in my decision . . . along with the free software that comes with it.

Hopefully the new class D amps will help with the problems the old ones had.
No, I didn't have a sub (with the JBLs I don't feel the need for one). There was more of a difference to me in person, but I do notice a difference in the video. I have a Scarlett 2i2 with a big volume knob that I use constantly, so I totally understand. There is no right or wrong choice though, you might love them or trade them out down the road a lot like guitars
Old 05-20-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredmaster007 View Post
There is no right or wrong choice though, you might love them or trade them out down the road a lot like guitars
Have traded very few guitars. And never speakers (so far), so I hope I don't start now.

And I'm pretty sure I'll like them, especially if there's nothing to A/B them against.

As to the sub, the advice I got from my songwriter friend was:

"and definitely get the sub. The sub makes all the difference really. All the real warmth comes from there even if a song isn’t very bass-y"

Not real sure about that . . . but it should relieve some of the power requirements to the main speakers . . . . and it's what gets me the big volume knob. Kind've an expensive way to get that, though.

They shipped today, so I should have them next week.

Wish I had jumped on that sub while there was still one available from Amazon . . at least I think I remember seeing one available.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:01 PM

Got the 5" Mackie CR5-X speakers yesterday. Sound pretty good.

Definitely needs a bit more bass (the Cambridge SW system actually had a 6.5" sub, not 5"), but they are still comparable to the Cambridge SW system.

I guess I could've gone with the 8" speakers, but that's just getting a bit large for the top of a desk.

I will put the 5" on some stands (should be here tomorrow).

And will order the 8" sub once it's available again.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:04 PM

You can't judge the low end of a speaker in a youtube video! How was it recorded, what does the audio compression in your video software and the youtube software do to the low end?

I've got first gen JBL 305s, they have a low end down to about 45Hz (low E on a 4 string bass)m which suits my music. There's a definite low end drop off if I feed a low synth pad into them. For mixing, adding a sub adds a whole level of acoustic treatment needed to tame reverberation.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-25-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
You can't judge the low end of a speaker in a youtube video!
When I played that video back on the new Mackie 5" speakers, both the Mackies and the JBLs sounded identical.

I could hear differences through my headphones, though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification