The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-20-2020, 02:09 PM

Default combine k&k pure mini with anthem mic

I've got a pure mini in my guild dreadnaught. It generally sounds quite good in the room but somehow the live feed direct from the board it sounds more artificial and a little dull (it lacks "air). This is more obvious in our church setting now that we are livestreaming.

I bought an Anthem SL to try out but before I installed it I realized I have an unusually fat saddle (maybe 1/4") so the piezo element might cause problems with seating the saddle.

Then I wondered if there was a way to combine the Anthem mic with the K&K already installed? Instead of piezo+mic, I'd have transducer+mic. Warm + airy.

Has anyone tried this? Is there any way it would work?
Old 05-20-2020, 02:20 PM

I don't know about the SL version but I know this has been tried already with success. If you search the forum, you should be able to find it. The only thing you would have to do is put the tru mic behind the saddle or along the x brace on the treble side of the saddle. These are the other two recommended spots from Lr Baggs.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:29 PM

You know I didn't see anything with an initial search, but I see now the string is anthem + K&K and it shows up. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2020, 02:44 PM

I've tried it unsuccessfully with both Anthem SL and Anthem. The piezo side of the Baggs preamp is not a good match for the K&K, even considering the crossover. It was boomy, feedback prone, unbalanced, hot, and unmusical. I know another member posted that he was able to get Anthem SL working with K&K. I assume you can use a resistor in the mix to better attempt to match the output of the K&K piezo with the input of the Anthem, but I was not successful with that either.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:46 PM

One thing you could do and I know this isn't all that helpful since you have the SL, is to buy the Lyric and wire the K&K to it. That way you could have a stereo set up where you could eq both pickups separately. It's something I have considered in the past.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification