The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2019, 10:25 PM

As has been mentioned the D-18GE is a lot of guitar for the money, assuming you get along with the ModV neck. The Authentics, both the '37 and the '39, are killer D-18 guitars. Sounds like you want a Martin but for Flatpicking it's hard to beat a Collings D1A too.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
Running out for popcorn now..
I own a 000-15, D-28, D-17, but when it came to a 18 I saw the Takamine on the used rack and picked it up. It felt very much like an 18, and when I read the spec sheet it was right on the money. Has built in P/U system that works real nice and the neck is ( IMHO) better than the 18. Just one of those things that works...real good. Non believers should try one.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:32 AM

Thanks everyone. Wife thinks we need new windows. Guess I will be looking for one in the fall 🤠
Old 06-21-2019, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshoulder View Post
I was considering a D-18 but purchased this instead. Maybe worth a look?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...40s-tt-natural
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshoulder View Post
Here is a review I did.

https://youtu.be/mjOecYC9jRA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
The best D-18 is a Takamine EF340tt...half the money....same specs, just as good a tone..check it out.
+1+1+1... I've owned a host of MIJ Taks and their build quality and consistency is superb! The 340TT is a beast and came out after I bought my D18 in 2014. I love my D18 a lot, but the Tak's build quality and tone out performs the Martin...and the price makes it even more inviting! I play full-time and mostly use my MIJ Signature and Pro Series Taks, they consistently work well for me unplugged and amplified. If I needed another dread, that 340TT would be a top choice for me over another Martin even tho I do like Martin Standards very much.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:06 AM

Wow I am going to strongly consider the Takamine. Thank you.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamazooGuy View Post
Yes remember ultimately, good BG "tone" like playing any other genre, is in the hands of the player. The only possible specific objective criteria to BG, is that it has to loud enough to not get completely lost in the other instruments.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-21-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I hold no preference to any specific brand. Some guys are like "Martin or nothing", I get it but thats not me. If they do the job and I like it, fine. I actually was not looking for this Takamine. It was in the store used and I heard someone strumming it, waited for them to put it down then walked over. I bought it right then and there, something I've only done once before. The neck,although a 1 3/4", feels just about perfect. Making the transition from the 000 or D28 is effortless. The construction is perfect. This guitar still had the plastic on the pick guard. Maybe they ordered it and did not like the neck, who knows. I feel you should try one before making the D18 purchase.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:54 PM

If you venture outside of the martin brand, you would do well to also consider the Eastman E10D. I went through several mahogany D's and ended up with an Eastman and a Huss and Dalton. The Eastman is loud with a very full low end. Great bluegrass guitar
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 06-21-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. Wife thinks we need new windows. Guess I will be looking for one in the fall 🤠
Been there — last year some extra funds I thought would finally land me a D-18 went to our back deck. Santa came through in the end 🎅🏻

Hang in there — there will be no shortage of great D-18 options for the foreseeable future!
Old 06-21-2019, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

I have a Martin CS D18 Outlaw. Not sure there's much upstream from that.

Also have a CS Bluegrass 16. Also stellar in the rosewood family. Both are exceptional bluegrass guitars but they clean up well and do so much more.

JStotes
Old 06-22-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
If you venture outside of the martin brand, you would do well to also consider the Eastman E10D. I went through several mahogany D's and ended up with an Eastman and a Huss and Dalton. The Eastman is loud with a very full low end. Great bluegrass guitar
I second this.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-22-2019, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

I'll second the D-18GE. Played one once for an hour in a shop, and decided that it was one of the best-sounding guitars I've ever played. Perfect bluegrass guitar.

I thought I was playing for myself back in the acoustic room, but got a round of applause after one song from folks in the front of the store. I said "you can hear me way up there?" The sales guy laughed and commented that the sound of that guitar really travels. I was a bit embarrassed, but glad they liked that song!

I should have bought it.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

It was a sign Ken!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-22-2019, 07:13 AM

Default Best D18 for Bluegrass flatpicking?

If you are now looking outside Martins offerings (which are outstanding), then I strongly suggest you consider the Alvarez MD60BG. Sitka over Mahogany, goes for around $600, it is a fantastic alternative. If you want the sharpness and added punch of adirondack, then definitely get the Eastman E10D that someone mentioned. In my experience adirondack tend to be less warm than sitka until it’s well broken in (ten years?), but much louder.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
If you are now looking outside Martins offerings (which are outstanding), then I strongly suggest you consider the Alvarez MD60BG. Sitka over Mahogany, goes for around $600, it is a fantastic alternative. If you want the sharpness and added punch of adirondack, then definitely get the Eastman E10D that someone mentioned. In my experience adirondack tend to be less warm than sitka until it’s well broken in (ten years?), but much louder.

I fixed the link for you you have to delete this portion https://youtu.be/ of the "share" link address to get it work

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion