The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Default Collings New Traditional Series

BIG NEWS: Collings T Series

Top Shelf Guitars Built to a T for Traditional

My exclusive look at the new Traditional Series guitars...

"The fingerboard edges are rolled over quite a bit as well, to create a nice worn-in feel. It's a wonderful feeling neck," Collings Manager Mark Althans told me...

Even the cases were designed to be like a pre-war Martin case.

Read Our Exclusive Report and See the Videos

Can't want to play one!
Old 05-19-2017, 12:01 PM

I played a couple of them when I visited Mass Street Music in Lawrence, Kansas last fall. They're extraordinary guitars, light as a feather, and very responsive. Even the cases for them are elegant.

I was quite impressed.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-19-2017, 12:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMansGuitar View Post
BIG NEWS: Collings T Series

Top Shelf Guitars Built to a T for Traditional

My exclusive look at the new Traditional Series guitars...

"The fingerboard edges are rolled over quite a bit as well, to create a nice worn-in feel. It's a wonderful feeling neck," Collings Manager Mark Althans told me...

Even the cases were designed to be like a pre-war Martin case.

Read Our Exclusive Report and See the Videos

Can't want to play one!
Hey Todd,
Sounds like they described what I told David Flammang to make regarding my L-40.

Best,
H
Old 05-19-2017, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

As many know - I'm a big Collings fan. I have tried one out - and , yes it was impressive - I guess this is Uncle Bill's answer to the Martin "Authentic" series.

If Bill made a 12 fret dread "T" I might be interested in trying tone out, but I think I've done my spendin'
Old 05-19-2017, 12:37 PM

I am very excited about all of this.

And Wade's comments about being light as a feather is also very intriguing, since they have the same steel reinforcement inside the neck.

So, if they are actually lighter, the weight difference must be due to how thick the wood is, etc.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

I had an opportunity to play two of Collings' OM traditional series guitars a couple of weeks ago: an OM2HAT and an OM1T. They didn't strike me as being light, perhaps because I was also playing all of the Waterloo models that day, which really are exceptionally light.

But I would love to own either of these Collings, in particular the rosewood version. Wonderfully rich, resonant and responsive guitar.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

I've played a few and I like them, but they won't replace the very fine Collings I already own. I have purchased a couple of the new OM cases as an after market purchase. I was not a fan initially, but tried one and then bought a second. They are smaller and much more lightweight than the original case. Much nicer to carry when you leave the house, with plenty of protection. I'm waiting for the just-released CJ case to replace the original one I got when I purchased my CJ.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMansGuitar View Post
I am very excited about all of this.

And Wade's comments about being light as a feather is also very intriguing, since they have the same steel reinforcement inside the neck.

So, if they are actually lighter, the weight difference must be due to how thick the wood is, etc.
Jim Baggett is the owner of Mass Street Music, and was one of the first Collings dealers. He's worked closely with Bill Collings on the design of a number of Collings models, including this Traditional Series.

What Jim told me is that they looked closely at the weight of structural parts of the guitar like the neckblock and tailblock and were able to lighten those to a surprising degree. They also picked the wood sets they used with an eye on weight, as well.

It makes an audible difference, as well as a perceivable weight difference.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-19-2017, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Looks promising... but the bottom line is how it'll sound and feel in my ears and my hands. At that price, I'd need to, as Big Bill Broonzy put it - 'Before I buy anything baby, I got to get my hands on it first.'
Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 PM

Sounds like something worth keeping an eye out for. Thanks Spoon.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:53 PM

Sounds like they described what I told David Flammang to make regarding my L-40.

Best,
H

Howie, I thought of you the moment I heard Bill Collings mention that bit about 'that note shouldn't be in there with that other note.'

Old 05-20-2017, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

I picked up an OM2-T, baked sitka, and it sounded and felt like I'd been playing it for 20 years. It was absolutely "my guitar." An hour later, it really was. Not only that, but I went back a week later for a D1-T. Both guitars are very robust sounding, with a fuller low end of the tonal range, but all of the famous Collings clarity on board. The big neck is a treat to play and yes, they are very light weight.

Fantastic guitars and the cases are sexy as can be, but you can't easily fit a pack of strings in the neck pocket. I guess nothing's perfect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
collings, om2h, t series