The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-16-2015, 04:52 PM

Default Rainsong Shorty verses Smokey

Hope someone can help me. I find the rainsong models a bit confusing. I have played a number of rainsongs and found the shorty the nicest sounding IMHO. Quick question... is the smokey a dressed down shorty...at a more attractive price given the less cosmetic appointments. They look cool and brilliant repackaging to a lower price point but just curious....

Thanks...

Chris
Old 11-16-2015, 06:20 PM

The Shorty is the standard OM or 000 size body with a 12-fret neck and short scale. The Smokey is the next larger size body, like a "grand auditorium," also with 12-fret neck and short scale.

I have one of each, but I somewhat prefer the Smokey. (I bought it when I played it in a store, after I already had the Shorty.)
Old 11-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

I have a Smokey Hybrid with Anthem Stage. It's the only Rainsong I've played. Great body size as it's deep at 5" at what would be the tailblock if there was wood? So it's a great fingerstyle guitar but is also good with a flatpick. Unusual to have a 12 fret short scale too...at least to me? I really like mine and highly recommend one!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:47 PM

I haven't even played a WS RainSong much less owned one in order to A/B the OM and WS bodies side by side- whether temporary or otherwise. Technically speaking, based upon specs alone, you can expect more bass from the WS than the OM (Smokey vs. Shorty in this case) and you should expect more projection and power. With the Shorty (as you have heard- and liked), you will get less projection and less bass response, but the pros here are that you get a balanced guitar across the spectrum. While you might lose projection, you gain a more immediate response to your playing dynamics. I love the Shorty's mid-range punch and find it great tonally for my style of play and it is super comfortable. Being the owner of a Shorty, I find that I just love OM guitars- it is my favorite body type.

So, what works best for you? You really have to weigh many things and it would be best to actually play both guitars before pulling the trigger on either one;

-What kind of tone do you want? If you want a more present strummer, the Smokey might be the ticket- you have 1" more body depth than with the Shorty and a bigger chamber. I've already mentioned why I like the Shorty and what it's strong points are.

-What kind of electronics package are you looking for? Most Shorties that I know of have Fishmans built in, whereas the Smokey's have L.R. Baggs? Do you even want electronics- my Shorty is an SGA (no factory installed electronics).

-Does one look better to you? Since they both rock in the tone department, I think looks are kind of important in this particular case.

One last thing that has yet to be mentioned that I personally think is a very important difference both tonally and aesthetically; the Shorty comes with a unidirectional top- none of the Smokey models do!

Hope that gives you some ideas!
Old 11-17-2015, 06:35 AM

Talking

Thanks everyone for your kind and thoughtful feedback. I am an OM (in my former wood days) guy and really like the mid-range pinch as Sean says. On electronics not really sure I have a preference as I only play out at church or occasionally sit in with some friends... so I imagine either will do for me. In terms of looks boy the smokey looks cool.... and really like satin finish on guitar necks. Perhaps the satin finsihed shorty is the right one for me... lots to think about....

Thanks everyone.... will be stopping by my local store... Union Music in Worcester, MA this weekend... Great "grown up" place for guitar players (hope I don't sound to old & grumpy.. :-) )... if ever in the area ... nice people with a good selections of guitars... been there since late 60's. You can even stop by and get a great Coney Island hot dog after playing some great guitars.

http://www.unionmusic.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/georges-cone...unch-worcester

All my favorite things in one place.....

Thanks again...

Chris
Old 11-17-2015, 09:56 AM

As has been mentioned, the main difference is the Shorty comes with a unidirectional top, none of the smokey models do. They Smokey is actually more similar to a standard WS in either Hybrid or Classic, meaning either hybrid glass and carbon fiber construction (hybrid) or full carbon fiber construction (classic).

In my opinion, the unidirectional top of the Shorty is superior to the other woven tops, whether hybrid or full carbon fiber.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-17-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyB View Post

In my opinion, the unidirectional top of the Shorty is superior to the other woven tops, whether hybrid or full carbon fiber.
I'm interested...what's the difference you hear? I've only compared a Rainsong hybrid dread with a Parlor (unidirectional), but there are more significant differences in body and scale, so I couldn't really compare tops.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyld View Post
I'm interested...what's the difference you hear? I've only compared a Rainsong hybrid dread with a Parlor (unidirectional), but there are more significant differences in body and scale, so I couldn't really compare tops.
Unidirectional tops are lighter- the lightest top RainSong offers. This really increases the response of the guitar quite a bit, and according to RainSong, offers a warmer tone as well (although I can't verify that since I don't have both guitars here side by side to test that theory). My Shorty weights only 4 lbs., and most of that comes from the neck!

I do think that RainSong created a winner in the unidirectional top particularly when paired with a 12 fret neck.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Unidirectional tops are lighter- the lightest top RainSong offers. This really increases the response of the guitar quite a bit, and according to RainSong, offers a warmer tone as well (although I can't verify that since I don't have both guitars here side by side to test that theory). My Shorty weights only 4 lbs., and most of that comes from the neck!

I do think that RainSong created a winner in the unidirectional top particularly when paired with a 12 fret neck.
Well put. The unidirectional tops are VERY live and vibrant. Very loud. And project very well.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 04-08-2017, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Does the unidirectional tops extra response also mean it's more prone to feedback with a K&K pickup installed?
Old 04-08-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Thanks everyone for your kind and thoughtful feedback. I am an OM (in my former wood days) guy and really like the mid-range pinch as Sean says. On electronics not really sure I have a preference as I only play out at church or occasionally sit in with some friends... so I imagine either will do for me. In terms of looks boy the smokey looks cool.... and really like satin finish on guitar necks. Perhaps the satin finsihed shorty is the right one for me... lots to think about....

Chris
You might want to look very strongly at the new CH-OM

http://www.rainsong.com/concert-hybrid/chom.html
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

And the CH-WS....I like the Shorty a lot, but like my H-WS1000 12 fret a little more. Which means nothing. LOL Let us know what you think of them after you play them..
Old 04-09-2017, 04:03 AM

Thanks AZ & Jdimco for remembering me. I agree with the CH-OM. Lots has happened since I started this thread. I wound up buying a CH-PA. It serves great as a parlor guitar and a traveler. Complements my JM1000 & 3000.

Chris
Old 04-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Congrats ! Great guitar.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:50 AM

Congrats on the new purchase glad it is all you wished for, I have had my APLE now for about 4/5 months and I gotta tell you it is my go to guitar. I use it in a trio and for Fiddle tunes , vocals , and some jazz tunes this thing just sings. I have found on mine at least the Martin Retro Models in 12/54 make this a mellow all around performer,,,couldn't be happier with Rainsongs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber