The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-08-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Hi Leo,
The KM-184 is well liked by most folks doing recording work, but I'm curious if you have an equally good audio interface and something equally good to listen with. Good headphones or monitors are going to add a few hundred to your bottom line.

A dry mono signal isn't going to sound like $700, so you're also going to need a DAW to implement on your computer to record with, add effects, mix audio and top and tail tracks if you're going to want to produce polished recordings (...and you will).

If you're a rank beginner you'll most likely find that messing with all the hardware and software will end up stifling your ability to perform, so that's another factor.

For a total newbie I'd suggest grabbing a hand-held recorder, mounting it on a mic stand and experimenting. You can go for something as minimal as a Tascam DR-05 or Zoom H1 (or H2) and get very good results.

If your goal is to convert to mp3 and post on the web then the KM-184s are going to end up being way too high quality for what your final outcome will be.

If you eventually want to do multitrack recordings I'd suggest something like a Zoom R8 to begin with. ...
Great info!

Yes, A $700 mic is wasted money if even one other piece of your hardware or software is poor.
An audio chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

However ... Even if the Neumann mic is much finer than the rest of your gear today, it's not a waste if you intend to eventually upgrade everything else.
In that case you can view the $700 mic as a long term investment.
You won't be wasting some money on a lesser mic that you'll sell used when you finally buy your $700 mic, which by then will cost more.

Also, some stuff you buy like the audio interface and DAW software and even the computer it runs on have a limited life.
Software version compatibility is a ticking time bomb.
Software (and hardware the uses software) is only compatible with stuff that's within a few years of each other.
Then it's just no longer compatible, and your zillion-dollar formerly-state of the art rig is a collection of paperweights.

One reason I've always splurged on high end mics, even back in the 1970s, is they do not turn into useless bricks.
Take care of em and fine studio mics will give you decades of excellent results.

... also, IMO transducers (what converts acoustic energy to electrical [mics] or electrical into acoustic [speakers] energy) are the easiest to underspend on, yet the most important to the results.

Last edited by Tico; 05-08-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:12 AM

Rudy touched on it, but I'll expand:

How are you going to get the sound from that mic (or any mic) recorded?
If you're tech savvy and/or have recording experience already, then jump right into computer recording. If not a stand-alone digital recorder can be a good place to start.
If you decide to record with a computer you need an audio interface (most are USB these days, but there are Thunderbolt and older Firewire ones out there too). The AI provides phantom power to your mic(s) and does analog-digital conversion.
If you decide to go the stand-alone recorder method, make sure the recorder offers phantom power for condensor mics.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-09-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonelB View Post
Thank you, great info! I have been playing for quite a bit but now I want to get into recording that's why I'm still a bit "confused" about what to do or what is best.
The real question is : do you have any sort of experience in recording, yourself or any other form of sound ?

If the answer is no, go buy one of those stand alone little recorder like this one :
[URL=https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/638090-REG/Sony_PCM_M10_BLACK_PCM_M10_Portable_Audio_Recorder .html[/URL]
(I see it's no longer available, but anyway, you get my drift)
Then experiment with the thing, and listen to the results.
I mean : listen to the results.
Change the place you record in, the distance, discover the effect of reflections, the projection of the instruments, all the different results you can have in just *moving* the recorder against the sound source.
That sort of small device is simply the best way to experiment when recording yourself.

If the answer is yes, a few things to confuse you a bit more :
- is the Neumann a nice mic ? No, it's a great mic.
- is the the TLM103 a better mic than the KM 84 ? Yes
- is the the KM 184 a better mic than the TLM 103 ? Yes
- are there 100$ mics that will give the same result ? Yes
- in any recording chain, what is the influence of the mic itself, compared to other factors ? Non-significant
- etc...

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 05-09-2017, 07:58 AM

The 184 is a beautiful sounding mic on acoustic. And you'll get more use out of it than just guitar. Wonderful on piano as well. But you will end up needing 2 of them at some point, so be prepared. And then, an equally good or better mic-pre, compressor, audio interface, DAW mixing/mastering software and tools, room acoustics, etc. etc. etc... welcome to the world of pro-audio.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Great info!

Yes, A $700 mic is wasted money if even one other piece of your hardware or software is poor.
An audio chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

However ... Even if the Neumann mic is much finer than the rest of your gear today, it's not a waste if you intend to eventually upgrade everything else.
In that case you can view the $700 mic as a long term investment.
You won't be wasting some money on a lesser mic that you'll sell used when you finally buy your $700 mic, which by then will cost more.

Also, some stuff you buy like the audio interface and DAW software and even the computer it runs on have a limited life.
Software version compatibility is a ticking time bomb.
Software (and hardware the uses software) is only compatible with stuff that's within a few years of each other.
Then it's just no longer compatible, and your zillion-dollar formerly-state of the art rig is a collection of paperweights.

One reason I've always splurged on high end mics, even back in the 1970s, is they do not turn into useless bricks.
Take care of em and fine studio mics will give you decades of excellent results.

... also, IMO transducers (what converts acoustic energy to electrical [mics] or electrical into acoustic [speakers] energy) are the easiest to underspend on, yet the most important to the results.

Spot on!!! I agree with you!

I know now I won't take full advantage of a expensive quality mic cause recording is a new field to me, but buying a good mic that I will be happy with is like an investment and most likely I won't need to upgrade it in the short/long term

The interface I have is the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and I bought also the Logic Pro X software
Old 05-09-2017, 08:53 AM

Ok, I realized mics can be even more complex and confusing than buying guitars and amps, haha!

But here it is, I bought the equipment, some will agree or disagree with my decision but I hope this will suit my needs.

I bought:
- Neumann TLM 102
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 interface
- Logic Pro X

I look forward to hear how my Santa Cruz Vintage Jumbo and my Martin OM-28 record with this

Thank you all for your opinions and help
Old 05-09-2017, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok, I realized mics can be even more complex and confusing than buying guitars and amps, haha!

But here it is, I bought the equipment, some will agree or disagree with my decision but I hope this will suit my needs.

I bought:
- Neumann TLM 102
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 interface
- Logic Pro X

I look forward to hear how my Santa Cruz Vintage Jumbo and my Martin OM-28 record with this

Thank you all for your opinions and help
That is certainly a pretty good starting system looking forward to you posting some samples.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-09-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
That is certainly a pretty good starting system looking forward to you posting some samples.

Thank you

And eventually if I really get into recording I can always add at a later stage a second mic, maybe a pencil like mic or so.

Cheers,
Leo
Old 05-09-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

I use a Rode NTK. I bought it several years ago used off eBay. It's been my recording and acoustic mic since.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 05-09-2017, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you

And eventually if I really get into recording I can always add at a later stage a second mic, maybe a pencil like mic or so.

Cheers,
Leo
Very true a pair does not necessarily have to be a matched pair. Many producers and recording engineers use an LDC and an SDC on acoustic guitar. That is in fact what I do

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Other mics to consider are 3-Zigma CHI with sdc capsules, Peluso P-84, and Gefell M300. The 3 Zigma and Peluso accommodate swappable capsules.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 05-10-2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Other mics to consider are 3-Zigma CHI with sdc capsules, Peluso P-84, and Gefell M300. The 3 Zigma and Peluso accommodate swappable capsules.

I have heard amazing reviews on the Gefell 300!!!
Old 05-10-2017, 02:34 AM

Quote:
I have heard amazing reviews on the Gefell 300!!!
Don't second guess you decision, you made a fine choice with the TLM102 and your other choice the KM184 was just as good! Watch this video it should get you going on the right path...

http://www.neumann.com/homestudio/en...one-mic-part-1
Old 05-10-2017, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Don't second guess you decision, you made a fine choice with the TLM102 and your other choice the KM184 was just as good! Watch this video it should get you going on the right path...

http://www.neumann.com/homestudio/en...one-mic-part-1
Sorry, I didn't realize you had already made your choice and purchased the gear; I wasn't reading all the posts carefully enough.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 05-10-2017 at 06:37 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD