The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-25-2012, 12:29 AM

Is there a way to get more info or contact info for Martin that is not on Facebook? (I don't/won't go there.)
Old 11-25-2012, 07:23 AM

incorrect email address removed.

Last edited by mc1; 11-25-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 AM

That is not his email address.

I can put you in contact with him if you pm me.

He's not an internet savvy dude.. And he's in Australia.. So... The last thing he wants is calls from people in all hours of the day/night.

me
Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 AM

Basically... He's a luthier... That doesnt work with wood... He works wirh carbon fiber...

We've worked together designing building these things for over two years now... We're pretty happy with the instruments he's building now, and he decided that he wants to get these into players hands now.

I couldn't agree more.

So... The "introductory" prices on the website will increase dramatically when he sells this batch... He's already taking orders, but... Right now... He has these available:

1 x 14"
3 x 17"
4 x fiddles
0 x mandocellos

I'll keep you updated.. But make no mistake about it.. These are handmade instruments.. He is a luthier... The only difference is that wooden luthiers get off easy.. Carbon fiber dust (from sanding/cutting) is the most noxious stuff to get on your skin... And lungs... And eyes... That seriously is no fun.

Which is why (i tell him) it takes an honory, leathery, tough Aussie to do this stuff... I'm not exfoliating my soft American skin with carbon fiber dust for anyone...

me
Old 11-25-2012, 09:02 AM

here's a beta youtube video i made in september.. to show martin my ideas on greenscreening live video with pictures of the guitar..

it's short... simple... the camera captured the audio, so it's not a full on awesome production... but.. you'll get the idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=troO9FrDAT8

me
Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 PM

I'm tempted to jump in, but I'm generally not an impulse buyer. How does the 17" archtop compare to wooden archtops? Does it sound more like an x-brace or more like a ladder brace? Will there be more soundclips anytime soon? Thanks for all the information so far.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:45 PM

I personally don't think the initial price is out of line for what it is. Someone into arch tops should have serious gas. It is not my cup of tea but I can appreciate what he has acomplished.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-25-2012, 01:10 PM

Well.. Thats a two year story... I'm on my mobile waiting for some Chinese take out... I'll try to answer what I can...

Wooden archtops are all over the map... Some of the most expensive archtops i've played were the worst acoustic archtops... Mid 60's L5's...

There are many reasons for this... But...

But... Martins instruments are acoustic instruments first and foremost...

Depending on what sound you are after, he can shape the tone accordingly...

He braces these things... Not for structural integrity... But to shape the tone... He tap tunes... Seriously... The dude looks at carbon fiber like its brazillian rosewood... And these guitars prove it.

the 17" i have in my possession is loud and crisp... clear, full of attack and sustain... I'll record some sound clips of these things this week.

Acoustic and plugged in.

The pickups are kent Armstrong, and strings really do make a huge difference in the sound you get out of these guitars...

I use phosphor bronze since I'm more into the jazz of yesteryear... But if you slap flatwounds on these, it's electric tone for days.

I'll pm anyone my phone number if you want to talk about these soon.

Martin has a few guitars and fiddles built and after these are gone, he'll build to order.

Billy

me
Old 11-26-2012, 09:08 AM

I am also a CF fan, but I made a promise to myself that I would NEVER fish with bait or use Facebook.
Is there a website on the way?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by short bald guy View Post
I am also a CF fan, but I made a promise to myself that I would NEVER fish with bait or use Facebook.
Is there a website on the way?
well... since i'm doing this all pro bono... there will be a website in the future.. probably with all of the same pictures i took and made for facebook... just a simple website to show each instrument...

i'm pretty busy... hopefully i'll have something up soon...

i'll do something quick and easy for the forum dudes though...

me
Old 11-26-2012, 10:55 AM

ok... here's all of the pics i put up on Facebook, in one picture.. it's a tall pic, so scroll down...

here's the link to the pic i just made for the forum:

collage on my personal website

sorry for the "unprofessional-ness" of having only a facebook page.. but.. honestly... facebook isn't going anywhere... it's not a fad.. it is the future of the web... and as much as i hate it... that's where all commerce and communication is bottlenecking....

I will have a website up sometime soon... but for right now... this is all I can do... this is a super busy month for me...

I came to this forum because i knew that there would be some guitar players that would appreciate these instruments for what they are...

this isn't some snake oil salesman... those pictures were all taken in my living room last week... I have played every one of the instruments... and i can attest to their quality... if you want to talk about anything, pm me and i can give you any information you need..

there are professional players that have aided in the design process of these instruments.. these instruments are real...

anyways.. if you need anything else... let me know... i'm happy to give you any information i have...

these instruments, once gone... will be much more expensive to procure.. This batch is the "we think we've perfected the design, so let's produce a few to see if we can do it as good every time" batch... they are handmade one at a time... in Martin's basement...

me

Last edited by wierdOne; 11-26-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:14 PM

Youtube video of Martin Lewis explaining his approach to instruments

Last edited by wierdOne; 11-26-2012 at 10:19 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber