The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-07-2005, 04:33 PM

I'm very happy with my RainSong WS-1000. I would absolutely replace it if something happened. I only play finger style music.

- It does not have a truss rod. The only way to adjust the action is by adjusting the saddle height or nut. The guitars come from the factory set up ok. I had to sand down the saddle to get the action right for me. You will not have to adjust this setup again because the guitar moved.

I usually play in altered tunings, cgddad, bgdgad, bf'c'f'bf' and many of the regular type altered tunings. No problems with the neck getting wacky or rattles/buzzing.

-Agreed. Mine is ugly on the inside. I saw it with my own eyes once!

-A couple of misconceptions that I've seen regarding carbon fiber guitars is that the neck is like IRON and does not move or that they stay in tune forever. My guess is that the neck does have a little play in it, if I tune from standard tuning to say dadgad, I will have to check the tuning of all the strings (just like any other guitar). What you will not have to do is re-adjust your action or re-tune because of changes in air tempetrure or humidity so, it does stay in tune longer.

This brings up another point: you will never worry about bringing this type of guitar out of its room. Go outside, A/C to humidity, hot to cold, to the beach/moutian, whatever - NO PROBLEM/NO WORRIES.

I can only speak for RainSong guitars (but I hear the same comments regarding other carbon fiber guitars). This guitar is very loud, powerful, sensitive to touch and has amazing sustain. The sound is more piano-like than traditional guitars.

They are not for everyone. I do understand why a traditionalist would never consider a guitar not made of wood.

I've recorded this guitar recently but my recording techniques do not do this guitar justice. I record direct (no mic) through a Fishman AURA at 100% AURA IMAGE so the sound is not truly representative of this guitar. It was my first time recording. You can hear the songs on my website.
http://www.drrufftuff.com/

My only complaint is that I cannot get this guitar with a wider neck. 1 7/8" would be perfect for me.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 10-07-2005, 05:57 PM

Mike, if that's not representative, then I can only guess how huge it must sound in person. As it is, that sounds fantastic.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:04 PM

Does anyone know if there are Parlour-sized carbon guitars out there?
Old 10-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbean
Does anyone know if there are Parlour-sized carbon guitars out there?
Rainsong makes them with laminated wood back and sides and a carbon top. That is why I was asking about the mixed construction instruments, as the parlors look interesting to me. An all carbon parlor would seem like the ultimate travel instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber