The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 02:24 PM

Yeah I don't know why GC doesn't have a better presentation for their used online inventory? Usually one crappy far away picture and nothing but a one word description. Everything GC does in an archaic way....their checkout system is slower than molasses.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I don't think that's true unless the item doesn't work or isn't as described. I've been able to get them to refund it for something that didn't work but they're upfront about it not being refundable if you just don't like it.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. You don't pay for return shipping.

I do agree that if there's really a description problem, as in, "I'm not even taking this thing home," the initial shipping should be refunded as well.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:17 PM

Yeah, sounds like a great buying experience.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-18-2020, 06:06 PM

I've purchased 4 used instruments (3 acoustics and one electric bass) with GC and haven't had a single issue. Deals are out there to be found.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 02-18-2020, 06:38 PM

I don't get why folks keep complaining about gc. They have been like they are for years. Everyone who is serious about guitars knows there is not much in the form of hand holding or knowledge from the sales guys. Most of the used gear is beat up. But you do get a huge selection and a 45 day return policy, and good deals most of the time. Why complain about it?

If you want a glass of pinot noir and a private acousticly treated room where you are handed 5 figure guitars by an attentive, knowledgeable sales person, by appointment only, then go there. Just don't go asking for a 20% discount and a month to try it out.

Personally, I think it is great we have so many options these days.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:52 PM

I bought 2 guitars from them knowing i was keeping 1. Returning the 1 i didn't want was easy. Financing terms changed a month after i got them and they applied the new financing terms to the guitar i kept. I also got a rewards card. I used the card but then wanted to return the item i bought with the card. Went to the local store and they told me the card was for 1 use and not refundable. He showed me the print. But then he took the item back. I have no complaints about GC.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:54 PM

I love GC. I've bought six guitars from them and returned three. Never once did I have to pay shipping, either way.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I don't think that's true unless the item doesn't work or isn't as described. I've been able to get them to refund it for something that didn't work but they're upfront about it not being refundable if you just don't like it.

I do like that I've been able to find a few boutique guitar pedals there cheaper than the best price on reverb.
Have it shipped to the local GC for pickup, and return it there - no shipping charges in either direction.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-19-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Part of the well documented ease of used guitar returns to GC is how often it seems to be necessary. Their descriptions are cryptic and often inaccurate, online photos are of poor quality.

My one experience was purchasing a Gerald Sheppard Ave Maria (what is THIS guitar doing at a GC?). They were boxing it up and discovered two massive cracks that happened under their care. A hugely disappointing experience. Although it didn't cost me a cent, as a result I've never spent another moment looking at their used inventory.

Last edited by Mr. Paul; 02-19-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:31 AM

Anyone in the know knows GC is NOT a boutique. It's a low-paying box store chain. So expecting boutique services ESPECIALLY for used items is silly. It's very easy for anyone with a modicum of guitar knowledge and common sense to navigate GC's used inventory. I've never called a GC anywhere that had something I was interested in looking at that didn't give me an in-hand description and send me all the photos I requested. And I've never had a problem with their generous return policy.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I don't get why folks keep complaining about gc. They have been like they are for years. Everyone who is serious about guitars knows there is not much in the form of hand holding or knowledge from the sales guys. Most of the used gear is beat up. But you do get a huge selection and a 45 day return policy, and good deals most of the time. Why complain about it?

If you want a glass of pinot noir and a private acousticly treated room where you are handed 5 figure guitars by an attentive, knowledgeable sales person, by appointment only, then go there. Just don't go asking for a 20% discount and a month to try it out.

Personally, I think it is great we have so many options these days.
Its ok to complain because its predatory salesmanship. They are creating the status quo and the rest of the industry is watching and following in kind.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:31 AM

I love GC and have bought so much stuff over the years --new and used -- it has become an essential source of fun and creativity for me. I've had mostly good experiences, and have gotten amazing deals (shout out to GC Fountain Valley, CA especially in that regard). Reverb is catching up, but won't completely replace GC because I need to get in there and mess around from time to time.
Taylor 562ce 12-string
Old 02-19-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Have it shipped to the local GC for pickup, and return it there - no shipping charges in either direction.
I am not sure that this is accurate. I just purchased a used guitar online from GC. It is being shipped to the local store. There was a $20 shipping charge added to the price of the guitar. My understanding is that is the only shipping I will be responsible for.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

You don't get free shipping for used equipment unless you negotiate it, or the salesperson forgets to charge, I suppose!
Old 02-19-2020, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
I am not sure that this is accurate. I just purchased a used guitar online from GC. It is being shipped to the local store. There was a $20 shipping charge added to the price of the guitar. My understanding is that is the only shipping I will be responsible for.
Exactly my experience. Shipping was the same price to the store as my house.

Clarification - used gear you pay shipping. That's what I've been talking about here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion