The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 09:17 PM

Nobody shares an interest nor shows any interest except for my dog. He likes to hang and listen.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 02-17-2020, 09:20 PM

Unfortunately, not at all. However, as I enter my 6th year of playing I've begun to find considerably less complaining re: my practice and overall play from my wife and kids. I attribute that to either my marked improvement or the fact that I'm stubborn as all get out and have worn them down. Either way I view that as a win As with Justin, my younger (of 2) dog likes hanging on the porch with me and listening, however he also is eyeing my capo as he likes to grab it and run off if I give him the chance.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:23 PM
Guest 33123

From age 5 to 14 my son played guitar. He quit lessons last month so he hasn't played in a bit. But he's a very talented visual artist so that's how he spends his spare time now.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:29 PM

My wife encourages me to sing and play and my son has been in a band as lead guitarist. He thinks of his guitars as being "his guitars" and my guitars as being "our guitars". I guess he might get all of mine some day?
Old 02-17-2020, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I grew up in a family who loved music but no one played an instrument until I took up guitar in my teens. All that is left of my blood relatives are a few cousins and no one plays guitar. My chosen family these days is made up mostly of dear friends and I have a number of them who love guitar as much as I do.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-17-2020, 09:34 PM

My son, and completely independent from me. I’m an acoustic folk-rock fingerpicker, he has four electrics - including a Gretsch - and two electric basses. I am, nonetheless, happy and proud when he can show me stuff, rather than vice-versa.

My daughter learned a mean Sloop John B when she was 12-ish, but then discovered other interests. She remembers the chord shapes but not which frets to use.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:44 PM

Guitar? It's just me, all by my lonesome.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:47 PM

After 50 years of playing (mediocre at best) and doing my best to encourage playing the guitar or any other instrument, 2 out of ten of my kids and grand kids have stepped up. My son didn't start until a couple of years ago, at 30. My grandson I got going at 13 and at 18 he can play circles around me.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:30 AM
Charter Member

My brother-in-law lives and breathes guitars, he's a really good player.
His son plays as well. A few years ago we were playing out on the porch
of the old hotel we gather at in West Virginia each year and my cousin's
daughter picked up a guitar strongly sang a few tunes like a pro... who knew?

-Mike
Old 02-18-2020, 04:09 AM

Not a single one. That's why I have to come in here and chat with random strangers so I don't bore them senseless.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

My youngest son is in his senior year as a music major at UCSD, and is an extremely talented and creative guitarist, acoustic and electric. While my other three kids have always loved to hear me sing and play guitar and harmonica, none have taken up guitar, but my oldest son is an accomplished tabla player.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 02-18-2020, 05:07 AM

We are taking my daughter to buy a Fender Player Tele tomorrow for her 15th birthday. She’s been using my Sheraton until now. She plays pretty much every day. Unfortunately she’s neglected piano as a consequence, which she has a grade 5 exam coming up in. But the idea of piano was to get her to learn music which has worked!
Old 02-18-2020, 06:07 AM
Guitar Gourmet

My younger brother shares my interest in guitars. He recently got the itch for and bought a Pensa Suhr. My oldest brother loves guitar. He is a walking database of guitarists from the last century. When I was learning to play he stood over me and laughed if I showed any guitar face. The only thing he doesn't do is play guitar.

My oldest son used to love playing guitar but his work as a machinist in a shipyard damaged his hands enough that he quit. He still has his Vox AC15 and his (my) Flying V, though.

My wife seems to love being my enabler. "I think you need this guitar." Wow.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-18-2020, 07:01 AM

do brother in-laws count?

I play in a band with both of mine. One's a fine bass player, the other a pretty good guitar player in his own right.

Playing with a couple other guys we've all know for many eyars.

We have a blast.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

As a kid:
My brother is a multi-instrumentalist (non pro) musician and major audiophile. My brother-in-law is also a multi instrumentalist (non pro).
They were my mentors and taught me to play and one of them still plays today.

In my family:
Our kids all played instruments. Son loved a particular radio song and asked me to teach him to play it on guitar (his first song) but it had some difficult chords for a beginner so he never had a chance to learn it really.

Daughter plays the most and has many different instruments, including an electric guitar she asked for longer than a year. But guitar is not a passion - just a mild interest.

My wife and kids totally tolerate my guitar obsession and rabidly support me when I (infrequently) perform.

My wife even knows my favorite brands and a little about guitar companies etcetera.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion