The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2020, 08:53 AM

Default Larrivee OM-03 vs OM-40

I've read through some of the threads on the subject but was hoping I could see if I could get a little more input.

I was about to buy a beater used guitar the other day and the guy at the shop talked me into playing a new Larrivee OM-03. Let's just say I'm no longer looking at used beaters.

So as I'm saving up a few more pennies, I notice that the OM-40 is similarly priced but has a different bracing system with the intention of creating more of a "traditional" sound and potentially more volume. I also like the aesthetics of the top and the tuners.

Anyway, for those who have had a chance to play both, how much difference is there? I can't find a 40 to try. I like the idea of "traditional" as I definitely lean toward the Martin sound (just not the price tag). At some point I'm going to have to go with what I know or take a little bit of a leap and have them order a 40 for me. I'm hoping you guys can help me at least get it more organized in my head.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

I've owned both. Wonderful guitars, for sure! The 40 will have just a bit more bass response, but I found them to be pretty similar. I like the aesthetic of the 40 better, but both are stellar instruments.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
I've owned both. Wonderful guitars, for sure! The 40 will have just a bit more bass response, but I found them to be pretty similar. I like the aesthetic of the 40 better, but both are stellar instruments.
I agree that the OM-40 has better bass response and pleasant aesthetics. I own both although the OM-40M is mahogany and my OM-03R is rosewood. I’d Pick the 40 if had to have just one. There again, they are both excellent instruments (especially for the price) and you won’t go wrong either way. The 40 is available in rosewood as well but I have no experience with that model. Larrivee does mahogany really well.
I have several Larrivee guitars and they are all wonderful instruments with great built quality and top notch materials.

Blues
Old 02-11-2020, 09:46 AM

If you go to the Larrivee site you can compare models:

https://www.larrivee.com/model-comparison

It appears that they are nearly identical, with the only serious difference seeming to be the bracing-- OM-40 has scalloped hybrid, while the OM-03 has X-bracing. i remember reading somewhere that the goal of the scalloped hybrid bracing was to provide more bass response, so kcnbys's comment matches up with that.

Unfortunately, I haven't played the 03, so I can't give you my A/B impressions. I happen to agree with kcnbys in preferring the visual aesthetics of the 40, but that's just personal taste. I can say that the Larrivee OM-40 sounds beautiful. It's very balanced, with a nice, satisfying-- but not boomy-- bass. Fantastic finger picker. As I'm leaning to play it better, it's turning out to be a good strummer, too, but I still prefer my Gibson for that.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:53 AM

Whether its the 40 or the 03, I've found Larrivee mahogany a step above the rosewood.
Saez Marin G90 (Cedar/EIR)
Old 02-11-2020, 09:54 AM

Not quite what you wanted but close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2T8pkCEEy0
Old 02-11-2020, 12:34 PM

Thanks folks. I guess I'd prefer the 40 but I have to decide if I am ok with ordering one I haven't played. Then again, I haven't asked the shop about their policy regarding such things. In other words if they order a 40 am I obligated to buy it? I guess I'll have to give them a call but thanks for the input. If nothing else, I like some of the aesthetics enough to choose the 40.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:25 PM

All shops should have a written return policy. You should absolutely have the opportunity to return it. Check some of our sponsors here for examples.

Also, you should be able to get one of these for around 40% off the MSRP listed on the Larrivee website. That's how much I paid new for my SD-40.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
All shops should have a written return policy. You should absolutely have the opportunity to return it. Check some of our sponsors here for examples.

Also, you should be able to get one of these for around 40% off the MSRP listed on the Larrivee website. That's how much I paid new for my SD-40.

I forgot about the sponsor route. Doing the math that could work out a little cheaper.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:50 PM

I own an OM-03 and owned an OM-40. Both were stellar examples of a mahogany and spruce OM. The 40 has more traditional aesthetics and a bit more bass, but dang, they're super close. I had sold my 40 due to career change, and was hankering for another one when Shoreline music did their moving sale last year. I took a chance that I'd like the OM-03 (at a KILLER price) and I'm so glad I did.

If you liked the OM-03, you will like the OM-40. Either one will be a wonderful instrument for years to come.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2020, 03:21 PM

Adding +1 to Treenewt’s comments. I had a similar experience, except with the D-40 MT and then the D-03MT. Each of these was a special run (due to the mahogany tops), but otherwise true to model specs.

I realized immediately after selling my D-40MT that I’d made a serious error. Missed it for 3 years. Recently found a beautiful, used all-mahogany D-03MT available and — like Treenewt — took the chance on liking it. And I do like it at least as well! So yes, both models are excellent quality and tone.
2015 Larrivee Legacy OM-40: Sitka/Mahogany
2017 Martin Retro 000-15M: All Mahogany
2019 Taylor FALL LTD 512ce 12-fret: Cedar/Koa
2022 Gibson Original Ser. L-00 VSB: Sitka/Mahogany
2023 Larrivee Custom OM-40R: Bearclaw/Rosewood
Old 02-11-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylb23 View Post
Thanks folks. I guess I'd prefer the 40 but I have to decide if I am ok with ordering one I haven't played. Then again, I haven't asked the shop about their policy regarding such things. In other words if they order a 40 am I obligated to buy it? I guess I'll have to give them a call but thanks for the input. If nothing else, I like some of the aesthetics enough to choose the 40.
In your initial post you said you played an OM-03 at the shop you are dealing with.
Have them order the OM-40 so you can A-B them side by side. Tell them you WILL BUY the one you like best. Either way it’s a sale for them and they will have their inventory replacement at hand when you leave almost as though you had never Been there, save for the cash from the sale in their pocket.

Blues
Old 02-11-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBelly View Post
In your initial post you said you played an OM-03 at the shop you are dealing with.
Have them order the OM-40 so you can A-B them side by side. Tell them you WILL BUY the one you like best. Either way it’s a sale for them and they will have their inventory replacement at hand when you leave almost as though you had never Been there, save for the cash from the sale in their pocket.

Blues

Pretty solid plan right there. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks folks. I guess I'd prefer the 40 but I have to decide if I am ok with ordering one I haven't played.
Larrivee's guitars are very consistent. By this I mean, there is little difference in sound between one OM-40 offered at one place, verses an Om 40 offered at another place. Jean Larrivee buys wood that he personally selects. Often flying to the country of choice just to purchase wood. Sometimes his son John, goes out into the woods looking for good spruce. Of course, no matter what,there will always be minute differences between same models. But In my experience, I have found them to be very consistent in sound in a specific model, with the same tone woods.
There have been many forum threads on the consistency of Larrivee guitars.
What you have to consider is if you like the added bass response. I own Two 40 series guitars and two regular series Larrivees. Personally, I do like the extra bass. However, it all depends upon your playing style and music of your choice.
Of course....there is no substitute for trying the guitar in person first. To see if the you like that difference.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:

Anyway, for those who have had a chance to play both, how much difference is there? .
The difference is extremely subtle. The main X-bracing is identical between the -03 and -40, the difference is that the -40 has a Martin style tone bare instead of the symetrical cross brace Larrivee normally uses.

The -40 is slightly more responsive, and has a tiny bit more bass presence.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion