The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2020, 07:59 PM

Default Why do Gibsons sound better with old strings?

Every other guitar I've owned immediately sounds better when I do a string change--except for my Gibsons. I realized I hadn't changed the strings on my Songwriter Deluxe since July of 2017 so I went ahead and changed them. What a let down. It's lost its vintage vibe. Oh well, I guess I'll have to way a six months to get back that sound.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:08 PM

I COMPLETELY agree with you.

My 2017, J45 Standard currently has a set of strings on it (JP Phosphor Bronze lights) that are about a year old. It sounds like heaven.

I need to take it in for reg maintenance but that means new set of strings...which I hate.

Dead strings on a Gibson are heaven to my ears. So mellow, and even punchier. It really helps to quicken the decay even more.
G7th Capos
Old 02-01-2020, 08:08 PM

The Gibson guitars I’ve owned have sounded better to me with fresher strings, so I don’t think your perception of this is universal. I’m a fan of vintage guitars but not vintage strings, on ANY brand of guitars.

I recognize that having a dull thump on the bass strings is part of some folks’ image of Gibson acoustic guitars overall, and it’s true that that’s what you’ll get on some Gibsons. But the ones I’ve owned have had more sustain in the low end, which goes away once the strings have dulled down.

Since I don’t care for that I change the strings once the bass starts getting thuddy.

Different strokes for different folks...

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-01-2020, 08:11 PM

I’m with Wade on this one

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 02-01-2020, 08:24 PM

I gravitated towards Gibsons because they have no problem with old strings and per the OP, can even sound better.

I just think the new string ring clashes with the fundamental thump of a simple mahogany tone. YMMV.

I used to have a 1931 L-1 - one of the best guitars I’ve had the privilege to own, but so lightly built I felt risky playing it, and we can’t have that. But that guitar, with the strings just a bit too old - mmmm.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:29 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I don't know, but its true.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-01-2020, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The Gibson guitars I’ve owned have sounded better to me with fresher strings, so I don’t think your perception of this is universal. I’m a fan of vintage guitars but not vintage strings, on ANY brand of guitars.

I recognize that having a dull thump on the bass strings is part of some folks’ image of Gibson acoustic guitars overall, and it’s true that that’s what you’ll get on some Gibsons. But the ones I’ve owned have had more sustain in the low end, which goes away once the strings have dulled down.

Since I don’t care for that I change the strings once the bass starts getting thuddy.

Different strokes for different folks...

Wade Hampton Miller
Like Wade, I like my Gibson acoustics with new strings, generally with the PB formulation.

- Glenn
Old 02-01-2020, 08:47 PM

Put some Monels on it and see what you think. Kinda does the old string thing with new strings. They take a little playing in, but not much. I have a Southern Jumbo and like the Monels on it. I know it is mahogany and yours is rosewood, but it my be worth a a shot.

I had been playing Martin SP's on my Southern Jumbo, and preferred them to D'Addarios or even Gibsons. They discontinued them, I think. I have several sets left, though.

However, I put Monels on it last time. Love the sound. They have been on a long time. They are now needing changed. It'll probably be a game day decision on which strings I put on this time.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Every other guitar I've owned immediately sounds better when I do a string change--except for my Gibsons. I realized I hadn't changed the strings on my Songwriter Deluxe since July of 2017 so I went ahead and changed them. What a let down. It's lost its vintage vibe. Oh well, I guess I'll have to way a six months to get back that sound.
Hi pz

We are all different. Guess I'm not looking for a Vintage Vibe.

I can always mute fresh strings to keep them from sustaining so long, but I can't eek out more sustain from old-deadened-strings. It's probably good for you to know you don't have to spend more on strings which sustain longer, and change them more frequently to get the style you like.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-01-2020, 09:16 PM

Larry wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
I can always mute fresh strings to keep them from sustaining so long, but I can't eek out more sustain from old-deadened-strings. It's probably good for you to know you don't have to spend more on strings which sustain longer, and change them more frequently to get the style you like.
Exactly. Newer strings can have their treble response dialed down, but there’s nothing that can be done to old dead strings to get frequencies or sustain that they’re no longer capable of producing.

whm
Old 02-01-2020, 09:28 PM

The crazy thing is that my strings were on since July of 2017 and I don't see that much difference in sustain from those vs the ones I put on tonight. Both were/are John Pearse Lights.

It usually takes me about a month of playing before the sound settles down and the vintage vibes starts to accentuate. Once that happens it seem to have little change, no matter how long I keep the strings on. I guess this string change will last me to 2023 at least.

I only feel this way with my two Gibsons. Have to change strings at least every 90 days with my other guitars.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:34 PM

I own a Gibson, and yes indeed it prefers old strings. I have a set of Monels on it now, and I think they can stay on approximately forever.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:37 PM

I hear intonation go out as strings age. Maybe it's just me, I dunno. I use Elixir's, and the tone last for a long time, but after 3 or 4 months, I start to hear the intonation go out. About that time, I also start to notice little divots on the e and b strings where the frets are. Changing time for me.

I'm all over the fret board though. Maybe for just cowboy chords it is not so noticeable? I try not to judge though. I'd bet a bunch of the great/iconic recording we grew up with that inspired generations were recorded with strings aged way beyond my standards.

To the OP's original thoughts, my J-45 is no different for me than my other guitars. If the intonation sounds out, the coating looks flaked off or I hear a loss of tone or sustain, I change them. Maybe I got lucky and got a good one, or simply prefer a different tone, but my Gibson sounds glorious with new strings.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:38 PM

Default New Management, New Slogan:

"GIBSON -

The guitar that makes your strings last longer.

Buy one today and save!"

Last edited by frankmcr; 02-02-2020 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Maybe I got lucky and got a good one, or simply prefer a different tone, but my Gibson sounds glorious with new strings.
I'd say you got unlucky. I won't be changing strings for the next three years and love the tone of my Gibson.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion