The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-03-2020, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
I love it! Looks great! I'm on the side of pickguards on most acoustic guitars; especially dreads (and I do consider the GP's a "round-shoulder dread", just like their creator does ). I just think they add to the aesthetic and complete the guitar - not to mention the protection they provide. I got a 517 last year and soon after, had this one custom made by Holter Pickguards. I love the look.

I like this look better but would probably opt for no pickguard on a GP. Just my 2 cents.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-03-2020, 07:36 PM

JDJ89,

Having been looking at mostly pickguarded guitars for over 50 years, I think they look even more 'normal' than one without a pickguard. While a pickguard does contribute (not always positively) to an instrument's appearance, I doubt I'd judge an instrument solely on how it looks with a pickguard on or off.

I have one guitar with no pickguard, the Taylor walnut jumbo. Happened to like the guitar a lot. It's kind of a non-issue. Since I fingerpick with my own nails, I don't put marks on the tops of any of my instruments, including a few ukuleles that don't have pickguards either.

Of my guitars, my favorite pickguard is the one on my Taylor 818e Grand Orchestra. Like the one you got from Taylor, the pickguard is made of wood. A piece of rosewood, which is nice because it reminds me of the rosewood back and sides. So I applaud the look it gives your 717. If the choice was plastic, I would have said leave it off.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 02-03-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:25 PM

Your pick guard looks like the same shape as the one that came with my 858.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Canfield View Post
If you look closely at the OP’s pickguard, you’ll see that the point is rounded off a bit to match the rounded edges of the bridge. The one on your 858 is the more traditional Taylor shape, which is a nice match aesthetically with the standard bridge design on that guitar.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Canfield View Post

A little off topic, but your picture really makes me miss my 858E. I think it’s one of the most aesthetically pleasing guitar shapes. It sounds good too.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
That is stunning! Are they a veneer of real ebony? I have a 517. Wasn’t thinking of a PG but love that look.

You may have started a trend that undermines your purpose of having a 717 that looks different from all the others!
I'm really not sure, it seems like it could be a veneer, it's really thin but stiff. They actually had to make this one before shipping it out. But I can't say for sure either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Something I didn’t notice before but now see — the grain and shape of the pickguard reminds me of those typically seen on the 1930s Gibsons. That combined with the arrow-style inlays gives a really nice Advanced Jumbo vibe. It’s a great look.

I’m curious what the other pickguard options mentioned were.
The other options were clear, black and tortoise. Had the ebony not been an option I probably would have just opted for a clear one.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

I anchor my pinky while finger picking- I found my ebony Taylor pick guard was too smooth and my pinky would slide around. sonI removed it. Saw tan line and immediately ordered a new one. - I had the new one glossed before installing and it solved the sliding. It’s just a little bit wrinkled.
I’m trying to redo another one to correct the wrinkle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2F500643-C0AF-405E-8ABF-A5B5D289990A.jpg (30.2 KB, 92 views)
Old 02-04-2020, 02:08 PM

I like the look of the 717 without the PG. Perhaps you should consider a clear one. There are clear PG's that are "removable". That's the route I'd go. If I wasn't sure I'd leave a tan line on my 614 and 814 I'd have removed the PG's. JMO
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-04-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
If you look closely at the OP’s pickguard, you’ll see that the point is rounded off a bit to match the rounded edges of the bridge. The one on your 858 is the more traditional Taylor shape, which is a nice match aesthetically with the standard bridge design on that guitar.
You're absolutely correct. I didn't look close enough
Old 02-04-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
A little off topic, but your picture really makes me miss my 858E. I think it’s one of the most aesthetically pleasing guitar shapes. It sounds good too.
I'm very pleased with the sound, I tried a bunch of different models and makers, and this is the one that felt right
Old 02-04-2020, 03:13 PM

I think that it looks fine if you just have to have a pickguard. I prefer mine without, and I haven't noticed any wear to speak of...
Old 02-04-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I like the look of the 717 without the PG. Perhaps you should consider a clear one. There are clear PG's that are "removable". That's the route I'd go. If I wasn't sure I'd leave a tan line on my 614 and 814 I'd have removed the PG's. JMO
I think that ship has sailed, vin - the OP has installed the ebony pickguard.

whm
Old 04-29-2021, 07:40 AM

Hey Brother, a little late to this thread. I have the exact model 717e as you. I seriously love the way yours looks and I would like to protect mine. When I got in touch with Taylor they wouldn't send me a pickguard. Not one from the 800 series anyway. They said they might send me one from the 700 hundred series...
I don't want you to get in any trouble, but how did you swing it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion