The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-28-2020, 11:41 AM

Default guitar mod

I have a Collings D2h with a straight line crack on top. It doesnt affect anything soundwise.
The guitar is 30 years old and has a good sound,rosewood,Collings type of sound.
But honestly I never have really liked it that much. It has never jazzed me and I wouldnt buy another Collings but thats besides the point. I would definitely never pay the stupid prices for nice guitars nowadays.
I was thinking what if I took off the top myself,and had a luthier make me a new top with
todays more modern bracing like the Taylor V style or any other newer design and put that on it. I wouldnt worry about the herringbone trim and stufff, that means nothing to me.
I work with wood alot but not in a precise way so it would be an experience getting the top off and a new one on. I would accept any risk and result.
I was wondering if I should stick to spruce or are there other options for tops...
What do you think I would pay to have someone make an Adirondack spruce top
with a modern bracing config...?
I would probably put a piezo under the bridge while I was at it.
Anyone ever done this..?
Old 01-28-2020, 11:53 AM

If you are going to trash the top why not try modifying the bracing? Have you talked to a luthier about the possibility of changing the sound?
Old 01-28-2020, 11:53 AM

That Collings is a pretty high $$$ unit to be radically modifying.

Those "modifications" are likely to be pretty expensive as well.

I'd say you'd be better served selling the D2H as is and buying what suits you better. You'd be money ahead.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:55 AM

Not cost effective. You would be better off selling or trading the Collings and getting something closer to what your ear wants ....
You can't just remove the top. First the neck would need to be removed, then the binding. all of that is not without risk. Just sell it, and move on.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:57 AM

Why not just cleat the crack.

Ed
Old 01-28-2020, 03:21 PM

I doubt you will find any luthier that would do that for you in that manor. For example that you would take the top off, they would make a new one, and you put it on. It just doesn't work like that.

In fact most would probably not even retop it unless it was trashed.

You would be better off buying an old junker and retopping that to the design of your choice.

As Hat said, sell it and move on, best advice really.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:05 PM

Whilst I love taylor products and their progressiveness, the v bracing is nothing new, some manufacturers have been doing it for quite some time now

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-29-2020, 06:59 PM

what is involved with filling the crack? I saw today that there is no brace underneath it.
Is it something I could do carefully?Dont care at all about the looks..
Old 01-30-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 View Post
what is involved with filling the crack? I saw today that there is no brace underneath it.
Is it something I could do carefully?Dont care at all about the looks..
Pics would be helpful but you might be looking at a $100 dollar repair that would be done professionally on a $4000 guitar versus a DIY that could potentially ruin it. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, and I know it's going to come off this way, but I hazard to even tell you how to do that professionally so that you will choose to do the right thing and get it done right

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair