The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-12-2020, 10:42 PM

Default Taylor 314 string spacing?

Hi,
I recently purchased a new Taylor 314 and generally I love it. But recently I have noticed that the top E string (not the base) seems to be causing me problems with playing pull-offs. It "appears" that the string is too close to the edge of the fretboard. I didn't notice this when I bought it. At the time I played maybe 10 or more guitars in the store and this is the one that stood out for me. (I actually had intended to buy a Martin but the only one I liked was out of my budget).
Ironically, the store offered a 30 day trial and return, but that time has since past. Could it possibly be the position of the slot in the nut that is causing this, or is it just me? I don't know, but I would imagine that the slot positions would be in a standard position for all Taylor 300 series guitars.
Any ideas?
Old 01-12-2020, 11:31 PM

can you take a picture of it?

I will say from experience that Taylors have the high e very close to the edge of the fretboard generally speaking. Sometimes it's slightly worse or better on one guitar or another. I ask for the picture because I want to make sure it's "normal" and not horribly close or anything.

Also, Martins with the MLO neck profile have the strings close to the edge too. Sometimes it's about the fretwork, like the fret ends being too rounded, that causes the string to slip off more easily.

Last edited by ii Cybershot ii; 01-12-2020 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorneil View Post
Could it possibly be the position of the slot in the nut that is causing this, or is it just me? I don't know, but I would imagine that the slot positions would be in a standard position for all Taylor 300 series guitars.
Any ideas?
Definitely "possible". With Taylor you can pretty much count on a consistent final product with variances mainly in tone due to different pieces of wood. The nut, however, is a standard piece and I believe cut via machine and then reviewed by a human Taylor employee. As such, tiny differences can happen in any machining and humans occasionally let things through in error. Take a look at some other Taylors in a shop near you and see if they're very different than what you're experiencing. If it's really bad then it should be a warranted repair with no need to completely return the guitar (which you can't do now anyway).
Old 01-14-2020, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
can you take a picture of it?

I will say from experience that Taylors have the high e very close to the edge of the fretboard generally speaking. Sometimes it's slightly worse or better on one guitar or another. I ask for the picture because I want to make sure it's "normal" and not horribly close or anything.

Also, Martins with the MLO neck profile have the strings close to the edge too. Sometimes it's about the fretwork, like the fret ends being too rounded, that causes the string to slip off more easily.
Thanks for your reply. Photo attached.
I seem to remember that someone else on this forum mentioned something similar a while back about the string being too close to the edge.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yZ1hnWMcN4WWyAxX8
Old 01-14-2020, 06:08 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Every Taylor I've played and owned has this string spacing on the high E and every Taylor I've owned has had the pull-off issue. The trade-offs of the guitar outweigh this one oddity to me. I suppose I could get my luthier to adjust this but I haven't so far. I've just adjusted my technique. I hope that helps.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-19-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Photo attached.
I seem to remember that someone else on this forum mentioned something similar a while back about the string being too close to the edge.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yZ1hnWMcN4WWyAxX8
I don't see anything abnormal in that photo. Fret ends look good, string doesn't look abnormally close. You can always have a new nut cut that has 1/32" or 1/16" smaller string spacing. People do that sometimes.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:26 PM

Default A thought

Might also move the nut .025" (that's 1/40") in from the 'e' edge and see if that resolves the concerns, and if that has any ill effects on fingering the 'E' string. won't cost anything and completely reversible. And proceed from there. And maybe a happy compromise is possible.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi,
I recently purchased a new Taylor 314 and generally I love it. But recently I have noticed that the top E string (not the base) seems to be causing me problems with playing pull-offs. It "appears" that the string is too close to the edge of the fretboard. I didn't notice this when I bought it. At the time I played maybe 10 or more guitars in the store and this is the one that stood out for me. (I actually had intended to buy a Martin but the only one I liked was out of my budget).
Ironically, the store offered a 30 day trial and return, but that time has since past. Could it possibly be the position of the slot in the nut that is causing this, or is it just me? I don't know, but I would imagine that the slot positions would be in a standard position for all Taylor 300 series guitars.
Any ideas?
Although you've already likely checked this, is your E-1st string crossing the bridge saddle at a slight angle that skews it outward toward the end of the bridge saddle? IMHO, a string should cross the bridge saddle perpendicular to it. If it's skewed outward, loosen the string and ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion