The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-11-2020, 03:06 PM

Default MollyTuttle's strum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL5V8sYeMfQ - this is a new lesson by Molly Tuttle re her strum and crosspicking. So I decided to to attempt to learn her strum beginning at 4:54 - I thought it was simple at first but as I was attempting to play along I realized she was doing something different -the more i listened the more i realized she was doing it a LOT differently than i was used to - not a simply Carter style strum. Sometimes it's down/up, sometimes down only, sometimes only on the base strings, sometimes on the treble strings only - mostly a mix of all sometimes in quarter time, sometimes in eight time - I'm impressed by all the subtle changes - I had to slow it down to 25% to catch all the nuances - I've got something to keep me busy for awhile I'm sure.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Yeah she feathers the Travis areas and has a comfortable easy as the wind style. A large dynamic range of her hypermobile right hand.

I like that she ratchets the attack down with her vocal entry. PRO time!
Old 01-11-2020, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Watching Molly sometimes makes me feel like I should give up! Her technique is so fluid.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:56 PM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write