The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-11-2020, 05:37 AM

Default How did you develop speed in the righht hand?

A more specific question is how to develop speed for p,i,m finger picking. That's the finger pattern I'm developing in order to play Austurias. All day at work, I thought about what I could do to increase the speed. I haven't tried it yet but I thought maybe p and i, and p and m repeatedly and separately would solve it. Somewhere in my p i m picking, there is a delay or weakness. That's the solution I came up with but I know some of you are far more experienced and advanced than I am and could possibly advise me? I appreciate it. Thanks.

Su
Old 01-11-2020, 07:13 AM

Sorry but it's the usual answer: practice.

Provided you have technique correct - good position, good fingernail length and condition, using the correct fingers in the right order - then you just need to start at whatever speed you can do it right, and in time, even if it seems painfully slow. Keep the timing steady and the dynamics even (hearing each note clearly).
Of course, if you identify a specific weakness, work out an exercise to concentrate on that. (Often, IME, it's irregular timing, or uneven dynamics, which can be caused by incorrect hand position, or simply having my fingernails the wrong length.)
Old 01-11-2020, 09:26 AM

I focus on precision first, then speed. Consistency in hitting the right note at the right time is the target. Play clean, then speed it up.

There are a few bluegrass flatpicking tunes that are part of my daily warm-up to reinforce this.

For finger picking I do the same thing with slack key tunes that I know well. I warm up with them before moving to new material.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:14 AM

Practice with metronome and gradually increase the bpm.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Perfect nails - anchoring picking hand finger on adjacent string when possible - i.e. a steady non bouncing wrist (and of course practice)

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-11-2020, 02:45 PM

Maybe this will help:

http://www.classicalguitarshed.com/p...eggio-pattern/
Old 01-11-2020, 05:08 PM

You guys are awesome. This is truly a great community.

There are some very helpful tips in here and without naming them and placing one above the other, I just want to thank all of you. Thank You. You guys rock.

Su
Old 01-12-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su_H. View Post
A more specific question is how to develop speed for p,i,m finger picking. That's the finger pattern I'm developing in order to play Austurias. All day at work, I thought about what I could do to increase the speed. I haven't tried it yet but I thought maybe p and i, and p and m repeatedly and separately would solve it. Somewhere in my p i m picking, there is a delay or weakness. That's the solution I came up with but I know some of you are far more experienced and advanced than I am and could possibly advise me? I appreciate it. Thanks.

Su
I simply do not possess the dedication needed to learn Austurias. Best I've been able to muster is Malagueña by alternating p & i. Austurias asks me to roll p, i & m in a continuous manner that would wholly consume my (available) time with the guitar to practice. It's an incredibly mechanical movement and very nuanced. One twitch and it's all over. Beautiful piece but "a man's got to know his limitations".
Old 01-12-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I simply do not possess the dedication needed to learn Austurias. Best I've been able to muster is Malagueña by alternating p & i. Austurias asks me to roll p, i & m in a continuous manner that would wholly consume my (available) time with the guitar to practice. It's an incredibly mechanical movement and very nuanced. One twitch and it's all over. Beautiful piece but "a man's got to know his limitations".
Don't sell yourself short. I refuse to believe I don't have the fortitude to play Austurias. I don't believe I have a disability in my right or left hand. What I believe is I did not study all the fundamentals as a beginning student and that has come back to haunt me when it comes to challenging pieces. I believe you can learn Austurias. The community has laid down the foundation for conquering this piece. You and I and anybody else just need to follow the prescribed method(s) and we'll be able to play it. I don't want to get ahead of mysel but I have to believe.....I'm on the verge of a milestone with Austurias. If things pan out well for me for Austurias, (and I have to believe it will), I can give you a complete study guide for the piece, if you wish.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write