The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-10-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I'd like to make a suggestion: on an acoustic guitar, I'd recommend that you at least seal the top with shellac before the oil. The reason for this is that PolyOil is thin and will penetrate a softwood like spruce or cedar and in doing so, can dampen its responsiveness. The shellac will prevent penetration.

Good idea. In my case I had a lot of grain filler on it that worked like shellac.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I'd like to make a suggestion: on an acoustic guitar, I'd recommend that you at least seal the top with shellac before the oil. The reason for this is that PolyOil is thin and will penetrate a softwood like spruce or cedar and in doing so, can dampen its responsiveness. The shellac will prevent penetration.
Wipe on poly is not an oil, it does not soak in any more than any other finish from my experience.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad914 View Post
Good idea. In my case I had a lot of grain filler on it that worked like shellac.
You shouldn't need to fill closed-pore woods like spruce, cedar, redwood ... Rosettes, on the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Wipe on poly is not an oil, it does not soak in any more than any other finish from my experience.
As you state, wipe on poly is a surface finish, rather than a penetrating one. The Minwax version does have a pretty strong smell that lingers as the solvents evaporate. Good ventilation is required.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
You shouldn't need to fill closed-pore woods like spruce, cedar, redwood ... Rosettes, on the other hand...

As you state, wipe on poly is a surface finish, rather than a penetrating one. The Minwax version does have a pretty strong smell that lingers as the solvents evaporate. Good ventilation is required.
It’s a mahogany top.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
It’s a mahogany top.
Ah, sorry. Short memory.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:10 PM

I still use zpoxy on maple tops. Makes the grain pop. This is a CS 356 I am making. I usually have 4-5 guitars going at one time, work on one then switch to another when I feel like it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair