The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-08-2020, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
Y'all must get these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A total game changer.
The sticky Monster grip appliqués are good. And I also like the patterned Jim Dunlap Primatone picks.
They both slow but do not eliminate the effect of the tiny repeated force vector that causes pick rotation.
They only delay the need for a flick of the little finger at opportune times in the playing.
2015 Eastman E20-P
2018 Eastman E20-OM

Last edited by vintage40s; 01-08-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:52 PM

The Dunlop Primetone "Grip" (referenced earlier as "sculpted") picks work well for me. They come in many different shapes and thicknesses, and while a little more spendy than your basic Fender pick, they won't break the bank. Give a couple of them a try.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/sea...tone+grip+pick
Old 01-08-2020, 02:52 PM

For a good solid grip I punch a hole in the middle of my picks. I use a hand activated rotating wheel leather punch and in a pinch (no pun) a paper punch will work. You decide what size hole works best.

Blues
Old 01-08-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Default In retrospect...

Maybe I was too harsh when I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post

We have so many more choices available now than 40 years ago. Why not try them? What are you afraid of?
Then I remembered my favorite guitarist, who still plays the same light, slippery teardrop style picks that were all he could find in at the local music store in suburban Kansas City. To get a rounder, jazzier tone, he held it backwards, at the narrow point.

I bought a set of his signature picks at a concert. They were cool keepsakes, with his original art imprinted, but I found them completely unusable. But they sure do work for him. I've seen Pat Metheny many times, but I've never seen him drop a pick. And I certainly wouldn't say he's afraid to experiment.

Moral: Picks are personal, and players are particular.
Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar little jumbo, '01); Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo; Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01); Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme; Godin Fifth Avenue Kingpin; Ibanez Mikro Bass.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBelly View Post
For a good solid grip I punch a hole in the middle of my picks. I use a hand activated rotating wheel leather punch and in a pinch (no pun) a paper punch will work. You decide what size hole works best.

Blues
I drill about a 1/4" hole in the center of most of my picks and it works great as you get skin to skin contact. Cheap (free) and easy. No sticky crap to put on your fingers that gets on your guitar, clothes, etc. No sandpaper, dot, doo-dad that will eventually come off.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I drill about a 1/4" hole in the center of most of my picks and it works great as you get skin to skin contact. Cheap (free) and easy. No sticky crap to put on your fingers that gets on your guitar, clothes, etc. No sandpaper, dot, doo-dad that will eventually come off.
The Pickers Grip stuff doesn't go anywhere but on my fingers and I can't even feel it on my pick when I let it go. No worries about your guitar, clothes, etc. and no mechanical alteration to my favorite slippery picks.

Another great option is Fred Kelly picks which I love as they have a textured surface that allows for a great grip. All kinds of shapes and sizes for you. Here's the link and a picture of what I'm talking about.

https://fredkellypicks.com/product-category/flat/

Old 01-08-2020, 04:24 PM

[IMG][/IMG]These offer a nice tone and a great grip.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...abalone-1.00mm

2014 Yamaha LS16
2015 Yamaha FG700S
Old 01-08-2020, 05:18 PM

Being so set in your ways makes you a lot harder to help.
The two easiest picks for me to hold onto are Dava Gels, and Dunlop Primetones.
I personally like the 0.73. It’s a bit stiffer than most other .73’s. But I adapted.
For your Fender picks, take a hole punch and pop a hole dead center.
Can’t say it won’t rotate. But it will be easier to hold on to.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC.
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine NPT115.
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Taylor 110e.
Guild F2512e.
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Old 01-08-2020, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Old man winter has officially arrived in the Northeast. Along with the cold temps, short days and bitter winds he’s brought dry, chapped hands and split skin around my nails. Ouch!

Lots of hand cream later the painful skin splits on my right thumb and forefinger have healed. But, as a consequence, my hands are so baby soft (not really) that I can’t hold on to a guitar pick with out it flying off into space. Never had this problem before.

I am an unabashed proponent of the same pick I’ve used since 1974...a Fender Medium in faux turtle. Nothing will sway me from this, ever.

Last night I went down to my workbench and pounded some dimples into a bunch with a nail set and gentle hammered a drywall saw into a few more to see if I could, literally, get a grip.

No avail. Still can’t hang on to the stinking things.

What do you all do when you lose your grip and can’t hold on. (And please, I have zero intention of changing picks. As great as some alternatives may be I’ve officially reached that age where what’s worked for 40 years ain’t gonna’ change!)

I have used sand paper on both side of the fat side of the pick. Last straw is to use glue and some sand, that is the best.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
As you already have a BC pick, I’m sure you already know that Vespel is a completely different material to celluloid, so I can’t recommend a BC pick that’s ‘comparable to a Fender Medium’. They aren’t ‘the same’.

What I can say is that I found changing from a Fender Medium or a JD nylon .88mm to a BlueChip TD35 and TAD35 very easy. No more than a few minutes to get accustomed to the different ‘feel’ of Vespel.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
Thanks. I'm aware that BlueChip makes many types of picks so I was just looking for some guidance to get me in a neighborhood. You've done that and I appreciate it.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:42 PM

I like center-punching my pick of choice with a heavy duty 3-ring hole puncher. No gunk. Nothing else to buy.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
Y'all must get these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A total game changer.
Yes, I have also found these to be very helpful.

RM
-----------------------------------------------------

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Takamine F360S ('78), Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Recording King RP-06, Yamaha FGX800C, Tanglewood TWJP parlor.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:47 PM

As others have suggested, try the Dunlop Primetone picks with the raised grips.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:58 AM

As a few others here have recommended, I also use a three-hole punch to punch a hole in the pick.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:03 AM

I have found that wrapping a small piece of masking tape around the area where my finger and thumb hold the pick helps. Duct tape or friction tape will also work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion