The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-02-2020, 08:09 AM

Smile SongBook Chord Pro (Digital Song Book )

Hi
Are there any members out there using a Digital Song Book or using an iPad app called Song Book Chord Pro. If so let’s have a discussion
Old 01-02-2020, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

I use Songbook Pro and really like it. It's got some really cool features and makes hardcopy songbooks kind of obsolete.....
Old 01-02-2020, 08:35 AM

I have used both SongBook ChordPro and OnSong for years. I really prefer SongBook ChordPro for 2 main reasons: 1) I can used it on both my Apple iPad Pro and also on My Windows PC, and 2) It supports multiple columns to reduce/eliminate the need to scroll longer songs (OnSong is still working on a new feature to do the same in 2020, but it will only support up to 2 columns).

If you search this forum, there are already some extensive discussions on this and related topics, for example: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=522812
Old 01-02-2020, 08:47 AM

I've been using Songbook on iPad for a few years now. Best in breed, versions for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android. Does what I need to, and more.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Maybe I'm too old school but I find that many players who use digital devices spend a lot of time and energy "fiddling" with them instead of making music. I've made my own songbook (paper & bound) with songs I like -- all of which I have transposed for my voice -- using a cardboard transposing wheel I've had since the early 70's. In doing so I learn a ton about each song, new chords (or chord voicings), and continuously improve my musical understanding and guitar playing. Hey, to each their own and this is just me. As they say, if it feels good - do it ! Have fun making great music my friends!
Old 01-02-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnco999 View Post
I have used both SongBook ChordPro and OnSong for years. I really prefer SongBook ChordPro for 2 main reasons: 1) I can used it on both my Apple iPad Pro and also on My Windows PC, and 2) It supports multiple columns to reduce/eliminate the need to scroll longer songs (OnSong is still working on a new feature to do the same in 2020, but it will only support up to 2 columns).

If you search this forum, there are already some extensive discussions on this and related topics, for example: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=522812
Shawn do you know if I need to purchase the app for my iPad and buy a separate copy for windows. I know I can use it using my iTunes on Windows . Also do you find it useful having SongBook Pro installed on my Windows laptop
Old 01-02-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grforce View Post
Shawn do you know if I need to purchase the app for my iPad and buy a separate copy for windows. I know I can use it using my iTunes on Windows . Also do you find it useful having SongBook Pro installed on my Windows laptop
Yes, you must make one purchase for iPad and another purchase for the Windows version. See costs here: http://linkesoft.com/songbook/order.html

Purchasing both copies of SongBook ChordPro is still less than purchasing a single license of OnSong just for an iPad. (Also note that OnSong just went to an ongoing purchase a subscription for “new and enhanced” features.)

The only reason I use SongBook ChordPro on my Windows laptop is that it makes it much easier to create songs in ChordPro format. I find it easier to use a real keyboard and mouse for typing or copying new songs off the internet. You can copy songs to a shared internet platform like DropBox and let others use your songs. Both SongBook ChordPro and OnSong allow users to link to DropBox - facilitating easy sharing and somewhat “automatic” change incorporation in set lists, key changes, etc. I support a weekly song circle and we just mirror my laptop screen to a large TV for all to see and play from/comment on/etc. We are constantly changing existing songs (keys, lyrics, etc) and I just update the DropBox songs with what changes we make and everyone instantly can see and use the changes (from their own Windows laptops, iPads, Android tablets, etc).
Old 01-02-2020, 02:53 PM

Default Do these apps come with songs?

Do these apps come with a large library of songs?

Thanks,

Russ
Old 01-02-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
Do these apps come with a large library of songs?

Thanks,

Russ
They do not come with any songs (except maybe the sample that shows the right format). I usually get songs from popular tab sites on the internet (or write my own). Both SongBook ChordPro and OnSong have features that allow you to go to various web sites and automatically pull songs into your application- although you often need to “tweak” them to your own tastes or interpretations - which is why I just pull the songs in on a Windows laptop and get it right the first time...
Old 01-02-2020, 03:58 PM

Smile

Quote:

Shawn
Is it best to copy and paste the song into word and save it as a .txt file .Then import in to Song Book chord pro and convert to Chordpro. I’ve saved the file as a PDF file and saved it into Dropbox or scanned a hard copy using Drop Box. But I have issues when it is copy to Songbook. The problem I have is the chords are by the word instead of on top of the word . Also when importing a PDF file to SongBook you can’t use the functions of Songbook. Do you know if I can convert a .PDF to .txt .Thanks for your help
Old 01-02-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grforce View Post
Shawn
Is it best to copy and paste the song into word and save it as a .txt file .Then import in to Song Book chord pro and convert to Chordpro. I’ve saved the file as a PDF file and saved it into Dropbox or scanned a hard copy using Drop Box. But I have issues when it is copy to Songbook. The problem I have is the chords are by the word instead of on top of the word . Also when importing a PDF file to SongBook you can’t use the functions of Songbook. Do you know if I can convert a .PDF to .txt .Thanks for your help
Create a text file in something like MS Word, then save it and import it into SongBook by placing it into the appropriate folder where SongBook is looking for it's songs (including on DropBox if that's where you want them).

SongBook ChordPro can display PDF files, but the PDF file format is very fixed and limited. (OnSong can also display PDF files.) To your point, if you are going to use PDF files, you can't do much with them using either SongBook or OnSong. You can arrange lists and some other things, but the real power and benefit of either SongBook or OnSong is lost using PDF files (just my humble opinion). If you are never going to consider changing keys, updating lyrics, etc - then just use PDF files and use a simple PDF viewer instead of buying these tools (again, just my humble opinion).

Chord Pro format is just a simple text file, renamed with a .chordpro or .pro extension (instead of .txt). You can create a text file using MS Word, NotePad, or literally hundreds of other tools (including just creating the text file in the editor built into either SongBook or OnSong). The main point is: it's a simple text file, with the lyrics and chords of your song. You can go to a website and copy, or simply type in what you want, and then insert chords (with square brackets around each chord) where you want, including in the middle of a lyric, like this:

[G]My first verse of ly[C]rics ends with a [D] d.

Tools like SongBook or OnSong can take these simple text files and read your chords, transpose them, look at timing, etc, etc. The strength of SongBook and OnSong is they can take those simple text files and display them how you want, for example with colors, zoomed in or out, with chords above lyrics, with chords inside lyrics (like the C chord above), with special timing, with links to the actual audio music, etc.

Last edited by shawnco999; 01-02-2020 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-02-2020, 08:02 PM

Smile

Quote:

Thanks Shawn for all the information
Dave (grforce)
Old 01-27-2023, 12:40 PM

Default Details on how sync works - Songbook Chordpro

Hey all!

I am new to the forum, glad to meet ya! I am wondering if anybody can share some details (beyond what their website documents) on how the sync works with songbook chordpro (by Linksoft). It says in their documentation that it is bi-directional, which is great, but I'm seeing some weird stuff.

Does the design of their sync allow for multiple people to connect to the same source?

Does their implementation understand that a person that performs a sync and doesn't have song ABC, yet ABC is on the central location (Dropbox, Google, etc.), then the person will get the ABC song during next sync, NOT have it get removed from the central repository?

Does songbook track 'when' a song is deleted from the device and compare that to the date/time stamp of the file on the central storage to determine which is right/to be honored?

I suppose I will end up taking the time to test all this out, but if anybody has already gone through the pain, I thought I ask the question and see how much prevention I could grab ahead of time.

Thank you!
Bob
Old 01-27-2023, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

I have used Songbook for about four years and this is how it works for me. I have a Dropbox account which stores my songs. Sometimes I can find a song already in the Chordpro format …for example on the Chordie. com website and import it directly into my Songbook file. That song is then automatically added to my Dropbox file. Sometimes when I can just find lyrics, I create a plain text file in MS Word, and add it to the Songbook file in Dropbox. Then my Songbook file will automatically load the song, when I next startup Songbook. If I delete a song in Songbook, it will delete from the Dropbox file as well.

It’s a little cumbersome, but it works for me.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:20 AM
Guest 11323

Question SongbookPro vs Songbook ChordPro

Just trying to tack on to this discussion. Does anyone have experience with these two iPad apps? Seems like some have used Songbook ChordPro, but how about SongbookPro? Shame that the app names are so similar. Songbook ChordPro is the one from Linkesoft.
Oh, some points:

I don’t use iTunes at all
I use onedrive to save my stuff
I want to import chordpro files and be able to slightly edit them. Mostly rearranging verses.
Scrolling with AirTurn pedal.

Thanks
George

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write