The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-30-2019, 11:03 AM

Question Looked Up Capo on the Forum still confused

Hi, I've read many of the explanations and I'm struggling to figure this out.
I've looked at the Capo Charts, kind of like Calculus.
There's this song and it's in C but my voice won't sing there.
The song is written in the Key of C. CFC.
I want to use the D fingering and make it the C in that CFC song.
I can play the song in the Key of D, no Capo and my voice is good. But, everyone else is playing it in C. Does my Capo go on the 10th Fret. that's really high pitch. That seems to be what the Capo Charts told me.
Thanks so much,
Palo
Old 12-30-2019, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo-Kai View Post
Hi, I've read many of the explanations and I'm struggling to figure this out.
I've looked at the Capo Charts, kind of like Calculus.
There's this song and it's in C but my voice won't sing there.
The song is written in the Key of C. CFC.
I want to use the D fingering and make it the C in that CFC song.
I can play the song in the Key of D, no Capo and my voice is good. But, everyone else is playing it in C. Does my Capo go on the 10th Fret. that's really high pitch. That seems to be what the Capo Charts told me.
Thanks so much,
Palo
Why not play it in A, capoed on the 3rd fret. That will get you to the key of C and still have some low end. You'd play the A for a C chord, D for an F chord and E for a G chord.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-30-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

If I understand correctly, you want to play the song in D where your voice fits, but it is shown as CFG. Playing the D shape with the capo at the 10th fret just puts you back into the key of C, which we know doesn’t work for your voice. Hard to play up there too.

If you are playing alone and want to play it in D, play D shape with no capo. If the problem is you are playing with others and they are playing CFG, then THEY need to capo at the second fret to play it in D where you can sing it. The C shape moved up two frets or one whole note s the D chord.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:36 AM

KarenB, thanks for your advice. I transposed into the key of A and it was in my vocal range. Thanks! ssjk, your "THEY need to capo" is great advice. The best place for my voice is the key of G (i got a workout transposing but that's good) and then Capo at fret 2. My voice is a high pitch and this seems to work. I'm going to keep experimenting mostly because it's hard to hear the melody on my guitar in the key of C. Next, key of D and up two frets. You are very knowledgeable and kind members of this forum, thanks very much! Palo
Old 12-31-2019, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

You want to play it in D ? Capo 2nd fret, and use the C shape for the tonic.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

There re so many different capo charts it is a bit confusing

If I am correctly understanding ? I like this one based on chord shapes and Key, for the transposing that I do

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-31-2019, 09:34 AM

You could tune your guitar down a step

6th string = D
5th string = G
4th string = C
3rd string = F
2nd string = A
1st string = D

Then you can use the D fingering you like, the you will actually be playing in the key of C
Old 01-02-2020, 12:40 PM

If you're singing with other people playing in C, it doesn't matter what capo/chord combination you use, the singing will still be in the key of C and you'll have the same vocal problems. The only thing that can make that better for you is for everyone to change the singing key - capoing works really well for doing this without changing the chords everyone is using.

Your challenge may be what is comfortable for everyone else to sing, particularly if there is a mixture of male and female voices. Someone somewhere is likely to be uncomfortable

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write