The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-30-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi David

No, but I feel like it today. We had about 5" of snow with 45 mph winds and snow drifts everywhere yesterday.

You are welcome…

Larry,
You'd feel right at home in my home state. Expecting up to a foot today. Funny, but since I got my first guitar earlier this year, I obsess much more about relative humidity than wind or snow.
Stay warm.
David
Old 12-30-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztush View Post
Hi, David! I think your pinky should have flexed in C chord (see the photos below) in some extend. Otherwise our pinky often locked and hard to flex on G in the transition between them.

Thanks for the images. That is crux of it.
David
Old 12-30-2019, 09:10 AM

Hi again Del. Welcome to the world of 6 little strings on a plank. Use any G you like, but do practice both forms of the open G. Time is your friend, and yes go slow, get it right, take a pause and a mental picture of it, and move on. I'm wondering if you got a capo and tried the chord up at the 5th fret, how you would do. Yes, do get a capo...Shubb makes excellent ones that are adjustable and will last forever, worth the expense. I like the idea of putting that pinky down somewhere with almost any open chord...especially the 3rd fret when playing an open D chord. See if you can stretch that pinky up to the 5th fret using an open G chord or D. Sound familiar?
Old 12-30-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post

I am new to the guitar. But I am not new to music, as a clarinet and sax player for 55 years, and semi-pro jazz player. When I use the term "uneconomical" I am referring to economy of movement. That is, employing the least movement necessary to accomplish a tonal change. With woodwinds, it can mean keep certain fingers down during a transition to make it more seamless, faster and positive. Duke you obviously understand what I am referring to because you state that you employ the same consideration in your own playing, choosing a form depending on the circumstances
I also bring that perspective to the guitar Consequently, it became apparent to me that an open C to G is most economically achieved with the use of the middle and ring fingers, shifting them both just one string over to the A and E strings, rather than moving the index finger all the way over from the B to to the A string which may be "uneconomical," depending on the next transition. It is good to have more than one tool in the chest, as you point out. I am in the process of making them.
Cheers.
David
Fair enough. I understand your goal. I guess what I was trying to say is "what works best is best." Some fingerings just don't work for some of us. For example, I have tried every variation of moveable 9th chords I can find and just can't get comfortable with any of them. I finally decided my time is better spent on techniques where I have the most ability for improvements (my strengths).

Anyway, good luck. And my dad was a fabulous clarinet player: Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, and really anything else (played sax as well). Definitely my favorite wood wind!

s
Old 12-30-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Hi again Del. Welcome to the world of 6 little strings on a plank. Use any G you like, but do practice both forms of the open G. Time is your friend, and yes go slow, get it right, take a pause and a mental picture of it, and move on. I'm wondering if you got a capo and tried the chord up at the 5th fret, how you would do. Yes, do get a capo...Shubb makes excellent ones that are adjustable and will last forever, worth the expense. I like the idea of putting that pinky down somewhere with almost any open chord...especially the 3rd fret when playing an open D chord. See if you can stretch that pinky up to the 5th fret using an open G chord or D. Sound familiar?
Neil, could not help but think of that expression "walking the plank" when I read your post.
I do have a capo but do not understand where it goes in your drill?
Thanks
D
Old 12-31-2019, 09:34 PM

Clamp the capo on about a quarter inch behind the 5th fret of the neck. then forget it's there and finger chords exactly as you normally should. It should now require a lot less pressure to get those notes buzz-free, and clean. You'll see that the frets are closer together therefore less reach is needed. Hoping I'm not talking down to you here or talking nonsense.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write