The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-02-2019, 04:26 PM

Default Looking to buy a beater; Is this D-15M beyond repair?

Looking for a travel/camp guitar to give my D-18 a break. I found this D-15 for sale with a broken top for $450 and Iím wondering if anyone thinks itís worth fixing? Iím not a luthier but my dad and I have a woodshop and are very experienced wood workers and I would actually enjoy spending the time to fix it up, but I have no idea how tough it will be!

https://imgur.com/a/jWKoJk5
Old 07-02-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

$450??? No way. That's significant damage and likely has damaged the support bracing. I wouldn't touch it. You can get a good used one for $700.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:23 PM

Yeah I was going to offer much lower. Is there an amount that would make that thing worth the trouble, maybe $250? I texted and asked about if there is damage to the brace and I havenít heard yet.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magner View Post
Yeah I was going to offer much lower. Is there an amount that would make that thing worth the trouble, maybe $250? I texted and asked about if there is damage to the brace and I havenít heard yet.
Only if the owner will allow you to have a luthier or tech look at it first. If the bracing is messed up, I'd pass.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:50 PM

Default opinion

Seldom have I found anything offered as 'needs a repair' both needing only the stated problem and being worth the price. Stuff bought as salvage might work out, but sellers tend to be over-optimistic, larcenous, ignorant, or some combination of all three. Like used cars, any car needing work is salvage, not priced as one in good order less the hopeful repair estimate. Big difference. I don't want to be exposed to risk without it being worth my while.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I bought a D1 in just about that condition for $45 last year. Never got around to fixing it; used it for parts and still have the neck laying around here somewhere.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:03 AM

Easy repair, provided your happy with a small bit of wood being mismatched or missing.

You and your dad should be able to smash it out with little guidance, 250 is a fair price IMHO

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair