The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 01-21-2019, 10:43 AM
FrankHudson FrankHudson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Silly Moustache have you ever considered writing about your experience?

It would make a great read.

You could call it 'Rubbing Shoulders'.
I'm no judge of the market, but if well written there's a book I'd read too. From the various times Silly has mentioned this part of his life I'm intrigued. I suspect there's a long-gone social milieu to be fleshed out: what was the audience like? What were their expectations? Which bands met them, which didn't (and I'll bet eventual fame doesn't match up in this regard). What were the working conditions/logistics like?

If there are tidbits, like what exactly were Mitch Mitchell's drum tips to another young drummer at the time, that could be good too, but I don't even need the "what later famous and semi-famous people said or did that I observed" to make the book worthwhile.

Of course writing a book length manuscript takes tremendous effort, and there are "opportunity costs" to consider. Silly should do with his life what he wants. but I've appreciated the small bits he's dropped on the AGP.
__________________
Parlando - Where Music and Words Meet
-----------------------------------
20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6
'00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '07 Parkwood PW510
Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-21-2019, 03:24 PM
Bax Burgess Bax Burgess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SE PA
Posts: 2,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I'm "Queened Out".....
Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality
Open your eyes
Look up to the skies and see
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy
Because I'm easy come, easy go
A little high, little low
Anyway the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me, to me
Mama, just killed a man
Put a gun against his head
Pulled my trigger, now he's dead
Mama, life had just begun
But now I've gone and thrown it all away
Mama, oh oh
Didn't mean to make you cry
If I'm not back again this time tomorrow
Carry on, carry on, as if nothing really matters
Too late, my time has come
Sends shivers down my spine
Body's aching all the time
Goodbye everybody I've got to go
Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth
Mama, oh oh (anyway the wind blows)
I don't want to die
Sometimes wish I'd never been born at all
I see a little silhouetto of a man
Scaramouch, Scaramouch will you do the Fandango
Thunderbolt and lightning very very frightening me
Gallileo, Gallileo, Gallileo, Gallileo, Gallileo, figaro, magnifico
I'm just a poor boy and nobody loves me
He's just a poor boy from a poor family
Spare him his life from this monstrosity
Easy come easy go will you let me go
Bismillah, no we will not let you go, let him go
Bismillah, we will not let you go, let him go
Bismillah, we will not let you go, let me go
(Will not let you go) let me go (never, never let you go) let me go (never let me go)
Oh oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no
Oh mama mia, mama mia, mama mia let me go
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me for me for me
So you think you can stop me and spit in my eye
So you think you can love me and leave me to die
Oh baby can't do this to me baby
Just gotta get out just gotta get right outta here
Oh oh oh yeah, oh oh yeah
Nothing really matters
Anyone can see
Nothing really matters
Nothing really matters to me
Anyway the wind blows

Songwriters: Freddie Mercury
Bohemian Rhapsody lyrics Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-21-2019, 03:32 PM
Otterhound Otterhound is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality
Open your eyes
Look up to the skies and see
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy
Because I'm easy come, easy go
A little high, little low
Anyway the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me, to me
Mama, just killed a man
Put a gun against his head
Pulled my trigger, now he's dead
Mama, life had just begun
But now I've gone and thrown it all away
Mama, oh oh
Didn't mean to make you cry
If I'm not back again this time tomorrow
Carry on, carry on, as if nothing really matters
Too late, my time has come
Sends shivers down my spine
Body's aching all the time
Goodbye everybody I've got to go
Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth
Mama, oh oh (anyway the wind blows)
I don't want to die
Sometimes wish I'd never been born at all
I see a little silhouetto of a man
Scaramouch, Scaramouch will you do the Fandango
Thunderbolt and lightning very very frightening me
Gallileo, Gallileo, Gallileo, Gallileo, Gallileo, figaro, magnifico
I'm just a poor boy and nobody loves me
He's just a poor boy from a poor family
Spare him his life from this monstrosity
Easy come easy go will you let me go
Bismillah, no we will not let you go, let him go
Bismillah, we will not let you go, let him go
Bismillah, we will not let you go, let me go
(Will not let you go) let me go (never, never let you go) let me go (never let me go)
Oh oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no
Oh mama mia, mama mia, mama mia let me go
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me for me for me
So you think you can stop me and spit in my eye
So you think you can love me and leave me to die
Oh baby can't do this to me baby
Just gotta get out just gotta get right outta here
Oh oh oh yeah, oh oh yeah
Nothing really matters
Anyone can see
Nothing really matters
Nothing really matters to me
Anyway the wind blows

Songwriters: Freddie Mercury
Bohemian Rhapsody lyrics Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
Compared to John Barleycorn Must Die , it is amateurish .
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Bax Burgess Bax Burgess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SE PA
Posts: 2,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Compared to John Barleycorn Must Die , it is amateurish .
Two different universes - one high literature, the other "Mama, I just killed a man..."
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-21-2019, 03:58 PM
Brucebubs's Avatar
Brucebubs Brucebubs is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Eden, Australia
Posts: 13,155
Default

There's a lady who's sure ...
__________________
Brucebubs

1972 - Takamine D-70
1980 - Morris B-50
2002 - Guild F-412
2009 - Martin Grand J12-40E Special
2011 - Martin JDP 2 #71/71
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2012 - Epiphone EJ-200/N
2012 - Huss & Dalton MJ Custom
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-21-2019, 04:05 PM
Bax Burgess Bax Burgess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SE PA
Posts: 2,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
There's a lady who's sure ...
Hmm. Doesn't ring any bells.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-21-2019, 04:13 PM
Otterhound Otterhound is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Two different universes - one high literature, the other "Mama, I just killed a man..."
Axis ; Bold As Love .
A nearly endless list , I could just go on and on .
The only rock opera's that I care about are Tommy and Jesus Christ Superstar .
Once Queen got to their third album , they had been transformed into misguided pseudo operatic wannabes .
What a sad loss because their first two albums kicked butt .
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-21-2019, 04:31 PM
Bax Burgess Bax Burgess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SE PA
Posts: 2,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
"...misguided pseudo operatic wannabes."
Misguided, pseudo, and operatic - that was out of their reach? I think they got there.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-21-2019, 04:34 PM
MinorKey MinorKey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Darlington UK
Posts: 155
Default

Ah no it'll never get old for me, and I can't wait to see the film.
__________________
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing!
Fender DG5 natural
Tanglewood Discovery Super Folk DBT SFCE TBL
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Deacon A style mandolin
Jose Ferrer Estudiante Classical (bridge is lifting)
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H classical
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-21-2019, 08:02 PM
Tony Burns Tony Burns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: middle of no where
Posts: 7,258
Default

I actually like them more now than i did back then -But the eighties and nineties typically were not my fortay -
I recently bought one of their concert DVDS - and saw the movie .( i wouldnt bother buying the dvd of that movie)
The movie did not impress me half as much as the concert in Wembley stadium
-i like Fridays concert way better than Saturdays -it had more life and the sound was better.
I had to put their greatest hits on my MP3 player-
__________________
wood things with strings on them !
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-24-2019, 10:07 AM
dkstott dkstott is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Middletown, Connecticut
Posts: 1,304
Default

It falls into the overplayed on the radio category for me. It was nice for a while, but I got tired of hearing it.

Same goes for a host of other songs like; Heart's "Barracuda".
__________________
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2019 Cordoba C-12 Cedar
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-24-2019, 11:59 AM
FrankHudson FrankHudson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Compared to John Barleycorn Must Die , it is amateurish .
Wasn't John Barleycorn by Trad? Sure, he wrote a lot of good songs, but have you ever met him in person? I hear he has this air of mystery about him, but really you don't want to know him.
__________________
Parlando - Where Music and Words Meet
-----------------------------------
20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6
'00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '07 Parkwood PW510
Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-27-2019, 05:46 PM
MinorKey MinorKey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Darlington UK
Posts: 155
Default

I still love it and always will
__________________
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing!
Fender DG5 natural
Tanglewood Discovery Super Folk DBT SFCE TBL
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Deacon A style mandolin
Jose Ferrer Estudiante Classical (bridge is lifting)
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H classical
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-27-2019, 05:47 PM
MinorKey MinorKey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Darlington UK
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Wasn't John Barleycorn by Trad? Sure, he wrote a lot of good songs, but have you ever met him in person? I hear he has this air of mystery about him, but really you don't want to know him.
I wonder if he's related to Unknown?
__________________
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing!
Fender DG5 natural
Tanglewood Discovery Super Folk DBT SFCE TBL
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Deacon A style mandolin
Jose Ferrer Estudiante Classical (bridge is lifting)
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H classical
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-27-2019, 06:31 PM
AmericanEagle AmericanEagle is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,927
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
There's a lady who's sure ...
... all that glitters is gold
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=