The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-22-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Elegant Burton. I like the back “non-”detailing. Always a pleasure to see your stuff.
Me too! I do it whenever I can. Makes me less likely to purchase pre-cut sets. I'll always try to resaw instead, that extra wood comes in handy.

On this one I was fortunate enough to get some extra boards from Brad Goodman, who had a real stockpile of the deep colored Cuban people built guitars from years ago. The set I built this guitar from had no extra material but what Brad sent along was a great match

Facebook
Instagram
Old 06-22-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I am way late to this thread, but just knocked out by these beauties!!!

Burton, when you say "Shop made" for the truss rods I am wondering if you make them yourself?

The geometry involved is way more complicated than most folks realize, I figure.

Carry on and have a FUN summer

Paul
Thanks Paul!

Yes, I made the rods. Very handy to have the tools to work on those kind of materials. I take great pains to make the necks strong and stable enough to never need the rod. If I have to use it in any way during setup I feel I have failed- An extremely light fret level should leave me with the relief I desire based on all the work done beforehand. Thats how I approach it at least- All that practice makes me much more confident in offering necks with no adjustable rod.

Many people expect the rod, though, and I can understand why. I figured if I was going to include it I'd make it as light as possible and still give 2 way action. I don't trust the full titanium ones on the market. Its a great material but not for everything, and I have no desire to set myself up for welding it. The rod I make uses steel, aluminum and titanium; each working to their respective advantage (by my estimation, anyway )

Facebook
Instagram
Old 06-22-2019, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Smile More cool info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
Thanks Paul!

Yes, I made the rods. Very handy to have the tools to work on those kind of materials. I take great pains to make the necks strong and stable enough to never need the rod. If I have to use it in any way during setup I feel I have failed- An extremely light fret level should leave me with the relief I desire based on all the work done beforehand. Thats how I approach it at least- All that practice makes me much more confident in offering necks with no adjustable rod.

Many people expect the rod, though, and I can understand why. I figured if I was going to include it I'd make it as light as possible and still give 2 way action. I don't trust the full titanium ones on the market. Its a great material but not for everything, and I have no desire to set myself up for welding it. The rod I make uses steel, aluminum and titanium; each working to their respective advantage (by my estimation, anyway )

Very interesting stuff inside the necks!
My last two Customs from John Kinnaird have no TR! But LOTS of Carbon Fiber in the floating fretboard necks. The next one will have a CF D Tube and no TR.
It sure does lighten up the necks to skip the TR.

Your instruments are VERY beautiful indeed!

Paul
Acoustic Image Coda III Amp

FOUR John Kinnaird Customs 😃
R.T 2c 12 fret custom
Only 4 more 90s Taylors
64 Martin 0-16 NY
Too many more...
"OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER, TOO YOUNG TO CARE!"
Old 06-22-2019, 02:27 PM
In flagrante ex-officio

I know that varnish is a pain, but I am thrilled you are trying it. I remember how the french polish really breathed, and I imagine this is very similar, albeit maybe a little more durable.

Does one have to worry about any chemical exposure, moisture, sweat etc?
2019 Brondel A2c

On deck:

2021 LeGeyt CLM Tree/Smoky Spruce
2021 Kostal MDW

The Clueless Audiophile demystifying the two channel hi fi audio market for the clueless among us
Old 06-25-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Very interesting stuff inside the necks!
My last two Customs from John Kinnaird have no TR! But LOTS of Carbon Fiber in the floating fretboard necks. The next one will have a CF D Tube and no TR.
It sure does lighten up the necks to skip the TR.

Your instruments are VERY beautiful indeed!

Paul
Agreed on the neck- it may seem like a small difference but extended way out towards the nut it can feel like its more weight than it is.

I find that if I make the body as lightweight as I'd like to and then put a standard steel construction double action rod in the guitar gets very close to feeling neck heavy. Anything to cut down on the weight in the neck helps!

The D tubes are great, I have been making my own for many years. In my experience, a BIG improvement over the more common double rods.

Facebook
Instagram
Old 06-25-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I know that varnish is a pain, but I am thrilled you are trying it. I remember how the french polish really breathed, and I imagine this is very similar, albeit maybe a little more durable.

Does one have to worry about any chemical exposure, moisture, sweat etc?
I'm about a day away from stringing up my second varnish guitar so can't yet say for sure about the comparison to french polished shellac but I wouldn't expect it to be too similar- I think the shellac will have the edge. We'll see, though- On this one I'm about to string up I did one less layer and the final film on the top is no more than .003. Still thicker than a shellac film, but not thick.

My excitement about the varnish is mostly in how it looks, and that I can safely do it in my shop and therefore control the film thickness. I went down the internet rabbit hole on people's perceived experiences with varnish (on different guitars, with different varnishes... ) and there was a pretty consistent feeling that it imparted a warmness to the tone as opposed to, say, nitro lacquer. I wouldn't describe french polish like that at all. Many builders (but not all) equate the effects of finish directly to how thick/thin it goes on. That's where the french polished finish wins, every time. The way I can do it, at least.

I'll let you know later this week once I have this new CLM strung up

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-22-2019, 01:53 PM

The second varnish guitar was finished, strung up, and is now gone- I would say it was more similar to my French polished guitars than I might have expected. Not a scientific comparison, but I didn't hear any choking or noticeable tonal color attributable to the finish. The guitar sounded pretty great, really. Very open and clear. I expect you'll get a full rundown of it in a week or so, Matthew

Here are a few pictures- Many more on my facebook and IG accounts if anyone is curious. There are many pictures of the construction of the guitar in this thread but I added a backplate too- painted brass that was then scraped in alternating directions. The rear of the headstock is radiused slightly and the plate reflects differently depending on where you view it from, meant to mimic the color, chotoyance, and gold leaf details of the resin used in the rosette and endgraft. I'm very happy with it. More gestural than geometric but I think it works very well on this guitar.

Thanks for following along on this thread! These 3 guitars are all out in the world now. Getting to work on the next batch.

CLM11-37 front close by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

CLM11-37 back close by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

CLM11-37 down front bevel by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

CLM11-37 rosette detail by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

CLM11-37 rear headstock ground fade by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-22-2019, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Nice to see you sharing your work here again Burton...

Bashkin | Blanchard | Brondel | Buscarino | Chasson | Klepper | Kukich | Sexauer
Old 07-23-2019, 02:33 AM

In many ways among most of the guitars I have seen on agf, Le Geyt guitars seem to come closest to the aesthetics of my Poljakoff guitar with the emphasis on the wood and the fineness of the fit and finish and cleanness of the lines - which is a very good thing!
Old 07-24-2019, 02:50 PM

Thanks Bob

And Gitarro- I checked out Poljakoff, a name I didn't really know. Interesting work! I like the radiused headstock and some of the techniques they are using look interesting. I'm curious how they are "punching" to create that texture. Thanks for mentioning them.

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-24-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Picker

Beautiful & different style of detailing Burton. Very nice!
Old 07-25-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
Thanks Bob

And Gitarro- I checked out Poljakoff, a name I didn't really know. Interesting work! I like the radiused headstock and some of the techniques they are using look interesting. I'm curious how they are "punching" to create that texture. Thanks for mentioning them.
Hello Burton

I like the minimalism and good taste that permeate your guitar designs as well as the high level of cleanness of fit and finish, and I was indeed sorely tempted by that guitar of yours that was on sale a few months ago on this forum agf member!
Old 07-26-2019, 11:58 AM

Thanks Paul Nice to hear from someone local! If you are ever in Boston shoot me a note.

Gitarro, Ahh- yes! I do remember that. That guitar came back through my shop before it went to its new home and it was in great shape. I was surprised it lasted as long as it did on the classifieds.
Thank you for your kind words

Facebook
Instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop