The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-12-2015, 03:47 PM
shadow714 shadow714 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 305
Default Zager guitars

Does anyone own or have played a Zager? I would like some opinions.
  #2  
Old 06-12-2015, 03:50 PM
ukejon ukejon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 6,551
Default

Bad idea to start this discussion anew....just use the Search function to find the previous 269 threads on this controversial topic.
__________________
My YouTube Page:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ukejon



2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
  #3  
Old 06-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Rodg Rodg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: central ohio
Posts: 153
Default

Yep. In the future we should all ignore these.
  #4  
Old 06-12-2015, 03:51 PM
mc1 mc1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nova scotia
Posts: 12,896
Default

  #5  
Old 06-12-2015, 03:55 PM
Bluemonk Bluemonk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodg View Post
Yep. In the future we should all ignore these.
We will - in the year 2525.
  #6  
Old 06-12-2015, 04:06 PM
MrMartyr MrMartyr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,117
Default

Yes. Chuck Yeager is great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Yeager
__________________
Dolly Parton Grand Ol' Opry
Big Beard Parlor
Brain Song Imaginary Fiber
Derailer (My go-to travel guitar)
Glibson Super Duper Jumbo Deluxe Extreme (with birds on it)
Martino Cinco De Mayo (First Edition)
Louden Silent Guitar
Lowvation 12 String Salad Bowl
Albatross Merrytime with Red Tide Sunburst

http://portraitsinpencil.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDerrickRyan
  #7  
Old 06-12-2015, 04:10 PM
rgregg48 rgregg48 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky
Posts: 3,276
Default

Now that Zager is a sponsor of AGF, the moderators
Will not look kindly of any negative comments
In Mr. Rogers neighborhood
So in the spirit of cooperation
I will keep my mouth shut!
__________________
3 classical guitars
two steel string guitars
one mandolin
One banjo
  #8  
Old 06-12-2015, 04:13 PM
paulzoom paulzoom is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11,036
Default

I loved this thread the first 100 times I read one like this
__________________
Froggy Bottom D-14
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
Martin OMC-15e
Martin OMC-16e Ovangkol FOR SALE
Taylor K66 Koa 12-string
Steve Denvir Custom OM Build #21
Elijah Jewel Custom Build Dreadnought

...and whatever the next one is
  #9  
Old 06-12-2015, 04:43 PM
roylor4 roylor4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: McLeansville, NC
Posts: 6,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Bad idea to start this discussion anew....just use the Search function to find the previous 269 threads on this controversial topic.
I 2nd this emotion.
__________________
Roy


Ibanez, Alvarez, Recording King, Gretsch
G&L Tribute, 3 Squiers
Vox, Orange, Bugera
JBL, Soundcraft, Roland, Fender, Samson

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

My Solo site -Updated 2/6/19
  #10  
Old 06-12-2015, 06:13 PM
Amite Amite is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 298
Default

Thanks, mc1, for the trip down glam-rock memory lane. Even when I liked the songs, the videos were.....
__________________
Alvarez AD30
  #11  
Old 06-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Rmz76 Rmz76 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow714 View Post
Does anyone own or have played a Zager? I would like some opinions.
Since this thread is here, I'll put out there that Zager Guitars are a sponsor of this site. The powers that be made a decision to allow their sponsorship and so I feel I should show them respect. So I am grateful for their sponsorship of a forum I frequent so often. That said no one has asked me to sensor my views on any brand and I think Zager produces an overpriced product.

The value they add to the otherwise generic guitars they sell is in the unique "Zagerized" setup which gives the player very low action and extra light gauge strings. Fretting a Zager feels a lot like fretting an electric guitar. Truthfully, that will be of value to many players who gig night after night for many hours. But it's not for everyone. If you want to experience something very similar to a Zager try out the Epiphone PRO-1. The feel reminds me of the Zager I played. I liked it enough to add a PRO-1 to my collection.

The only Zager I tried was a lower end model that appeared to be a Chinese import rebranded. They do offer much better models than the one I played.

Good luck.
__________________
Wayne


J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 06-13-2015 at 07:27 AM.
  #12  
Old 06-12-2015, 08:06 PM
Italian Spruce Italian Spruce is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 184
Default

Zager Guitars were created by Master guitar builder Denny Zager to play easier than any other guitar. What makes a Zager so easy to play?

Lower string heights: So you barely have to press to form chords
Custom string spacing: So you're not accidentally bumping other strings
Lower string pressure: Increases speed & accuracy, reduces buzz
Custom neck design: Feels natural in your hand, increases comfort
Special fret design: Reduces string bite and overall finger fatigue
Special bracing system: Produces a richer, more powerful sound
Perfect quality control: Each guitar worked on personally by Mr. Zager

Chosen by artists year after year for use on stage and in studio, the Zager 80 Series is our flagship guitar. Most of our customers buying 80's these days are coming from Martin D28, D35, Taylor 7 and 8 Series, and higher level Gibson and Fender. Price is about 1/2 of those models because you're bypassing retail dealers and buying direct from our workshop in Lincoln, Nebraska. The ZAD80CE "Electric" takes it to the next level with a Venetian cutaway box design for even easier playability and built in electronic transducer pick up and automatic tuner which allows you to plug into an amplifier or PA system and play it like a full blown electric. It truly is like having two guitars in one.

  #13  
Old 06-12-2015, 08:41 PM
mc1 mc1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nova scotia
Posts: 12,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Spruce View Post
Zager Guitars were created by Master guitar builder Denny Zager to play easier than any other guitar. What makes a Zager so easy to play?

Lower string heights: So you barely have to press to form chords
Custom string spacing: So you're not accidentally bumping other strings
Lower string pressure: Increases speed & accuracy, reduces buzz
Custom neck design: Feels natural in your hand, increases comfort
Special fret design: Reduces string bite and overall finger fatigue
Special bracing system: Produces a richer, more powerful sound
Perfect quality control: Each guitar worked on personally by Mr. Zager

Chosen by artists year after year for use on stage and in studio, the Zager 80 Series is our flagship guitar. Most of our customers buying 80's these days are coming from Martin D28, D35, Taylor 7 and 8 Series, and higher level Gibson and Fender. Price is about 1/2 of those models because you're bypassing retail dealers and buying direct from our workshop in Lincoln, Nebraska. The ZAD80CE "Electric" takes it to the next level with a Venetian cutaway box design for even easier playability and built in electronic transducer pick up and automatic tuner which allows you to plug into an amplifier or PA system and play it like a full blown electric. It truly is like having two guitars in one.

i was convinced, and ordered 17.
  #14  
Old 06-12-2015, 09:17 PM
MrMartyr MrMartyr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,117
Default

I call this the "Power Pins Phenomena". Everyone who hasn't tried them is an expert on them.
__________________
Dolly Parton Grand Ol' Opry
Big Beard Parlor
Brain Song Imaginary Fiber
Derailer (My go-to travel guitar)
Glibson Super Duper Jumbo Deluxe Extreme (with birds on it)
Martino Cinco De Mayo (First Edition)
Louden Silent Guitar
Lowvation 12 String Salad Bowl
Albatross Merrytime with Red Tide Sunburst

http://portraitsinpencil.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDerrickRyan
  #15  
Old 06-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Wade Hampton Wade Hampton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chugiak, Alaska
Posts: 26,558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow714 View Post
Does anyone own or have played a Zager? I would like some opinions.
What they are, frankly, are very cheaply made guitars that have been set up for extra light strings. When you buy a Zager guitar you're paying a LOT of extra money for an entry level guitar that you could buy and get set up to the same specs by a local guitar repair tech for a fraction of the price you'll pay Mr. Zager.

Danny Zager saw that people were coming on this forum and asking us our opinions of Zager guitars, which were not favorable. So he decided to sign on as a sponsor. A few Zager loyalists came along at first and posted ecstatic reviews of Zager guitars, claiming they were wonderful instruments.

But they're not. They're really not.

Hope that makes sense.


Wade Hampton Miller
Closed Thread

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=