The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2020, 06:26 PM

Default Strings for Martin 0000-18 12 fret sinker.

Just bought this from Gruhn Guitars, and I'm a long-time rosewood guy. Any string advice for this mahogany marvel would be most appreciated!
Old 08-17-2020, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

I like phosphor bronze on mahogany. Especially sinker. D'Addario or John Pearse in whatever gauge you prefer.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-18-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Wow, I don’t think I’ve seen a post from you in 10 years! Welcome back. For my mahogany guitars I use a simple approach. If I want to amplify the dryness and fundamental tones, I use 80/20s. If I want to get more overtones, I use PBs and if I want to really here the nuances and mellow a guitar out, I use Martin Monels. If I want to bring out the bass of an 0000, I use mediums or medium-lights and if the bass is too strong and I want more evenness, I use Elixir HDs (the only light-medium strings I know of). Again, welcome back.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:16 PM

[QUOTE=blindboyjimi;6472348]Wow, I don’t think I’ve seen a post from you in 10 years! Welcome back. ]

What a pleasant reminder that my days on the AGF did not go unnoticed!

Bindboyjimi, you've given me a full plate of string propriety here - I will proceed accordingly. I have medium Thomastik PB on now, and the guitar likes medium tension, and the playability with the medium gauge is superb. I might go to light gauge to listen for the addition of a mellow treble boost for finger picking, which tends towards bass tonality.

This 0000-18 is both bassy and trebly, depending on the strum or pick. Would love to exploit the middle of the spectrum without damaging the top & bottom frequencies. This guitar has magic - absolutely what George sums it up to be; "the best new guitar line I've had in my career!" Up to me to mine it ... might even start practicing?!?! Imagine that!

I'll post back when more happens. All my best, Bud! Landru

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion