The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Build Thread - Morin "0" All-Hog 12-Fret

I’m commissioning my first guitar—an all-mahogany “0”-sized 12-fret slot-head. This started all quite by accident really… I had met the builder (Raymond Morin) some months ago and was impressed with him immediately. First, he is a very easy to like and personable individual. Second, Raymond is an outstanding player. And lastly, he has a passion for guitars and guitar building that is infectious to say the least.

He invited me to see his small shop and look at a build he had in progress, and I was really impressed with what I saw. Although clearly a working shop, it was organized and very clean. We talked about his approach to building and a variety of other things; but, when I saw his work in progress, it became very obvious that he has a high level of skill to accompany his passion…the work was meticulous. Raymond’s guitars—at least those I know of to date—are quite traditional looking, with an emphasis on procuring the best materials available and constructing a guitar that will produce great tone.

So, when I decided I wanted an all-solid-mahogany small-bodied guitar, and began thinking about the possibility of commissioning one, Raymond immediately came to mind. He enthusiastically accepted and was excited by the opportunity, since he really likes mahogany, but had not yet built an all-hog guitar. We started bouncing a few ideas off each other, but aside from a few minor “must-have” details for me, I decided to leave the important stuff up to Raymond. I've included a link to the German Spruce/EIR 12-fret “0” guitar that Raymond recently finished…just to give you an idea of the looks & sound of a “Morin” guitar. Cool, cool, cool!

Raymond playing his recently built German Spruce/EIR 12-fret "0"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH_w6LLNvmY

Now that we're through the holidays and Raymond has completed the two guitars he needed to finish before mine, he is ready to begin working on my guitar full time...very exciting! Here are a few recent pics he sent me of his progress.

The draftboard...it all starts here.

Rough cut of the Adirondack top braces...still need radiused before they're glued and carved.

Glued on back braces. Raymond prefers to do these one at a tme with cam-clamps so there is more pressure (vs. go-bar deck); thereby allowing for good squeeze-out and a really solid glue joint.

Cutting out & finishing the soundhole - 1. in process, 2. completed cut, and 3. after being bound with tortoise.

Layed out the neck block. This will make two necks...the other of which is actually for my brother's commission. Pretty cool!

I'll post more pics in the weeks to come...thanks!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-02-2014, 07:07 PM

Looking really nice!!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-03-2014, 11:56 AM

I love small guitars. I will be watching this post with interest.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Looking sweet. There is something so right about a small body, all-hog guitar. Enjoy the process!

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 02-08-2014, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Default UPDATE - Morin build "0" all-hog

Here are some progress pics from this past week. No glamour-shots here folks, just the nitty-gritty inner workings that are SO integral to the build. Maybe it's my manufacturing background, but I find these pics as interesting as the more artsy stuff. I thought maybe some of you would too?

Gluing in the maple bridge plate

Gluing in the upper face brace

Gluing in the "tongue" brace

Gluing in the finger braces

And last but not least...gluing in the all important X-Brace

More to come in the weeks ahead...

Martin 000-28EC

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

This week's updates...things are "shaping" up (pun intended)!

Rough Braced Top & Back

Neck Rough Cut & Routed for Truss Rod and Graphite Reinforcment Rods

Graphite & Truss Rod Installed. Ebony Headplate Installed and Layed-Out

Fingerboard Tapered and Inlayed

Side Bending

Sides in the Mold

More to come in the weeks ahead!

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

More updates...getting excited as the "guts" are now complete!

Top buttoned down to the work table, ready to carve braces

Top complete with braces carved

Back glued up

Top glued up...box is closed!

That should be all of the inner workings...the fun stuff will be coming up next!

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia
Old 03-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Updates for the week...starting to come together!

Here is the closed box

Box with slotted neck

Start of volute

Nearly completed neck

Houston, we have a guitar!

Tortoise binding, purfling, finish, tuners & strings yet to come...

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia
Old 03-03-2014, 08:07 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Looking good! Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Nice looking little all-hogger. Always love the looks of a 12-fretter, too. SWEET!

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 04-25-2014, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Default ALMOST HOME - Morin all-hog 12-fret "0"

Due to an insanely busy couple months, I've been a bit lacks with posting build updates...sorry. But, my guitar is now complete, and I should have it sometime next week! I'll post more pics once I have the guitar in my possession; but for now, here is the latest pic and a video of Raymond Morin (the builder) playing her...

Went with a "Tweedy-esque" type burst on the top, completely hand applied/rubbed. I just love the look!

I went to see and play the guitar a couple weeks ago before the nut, saddle, or frets were even finished, and I was amazed (and thrilled) at the volume, projection, and sustain it had...especially for such a small guitar. But, it sounds like these attributes are even more present now on the completed guitar. Wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHsf...ature=youtu.be

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia
Old 04-25-2014, 12:15 PM

Looks and sounds wonderful. If I didn't have a hogtop Santa Cruz PJ, I don't think I would have believed how nice a little guitar like that could sound. Bet its fun to play. Should be a lot of good times ahead with it.

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 04-25-2014, 12:19 PM

Congratulations drplayer... looks and sounds a treat. Is that really only #8 for Raymond? That's impressive. All the best, berf
Old 04-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berf View Post
Congratulations drplayer... looks and sounds a treat. Is that really only #8 for Raymond? That's impressive. All the best, berf
Thank you. Yep, it's just #8...and Raymond is impressive! He has the luxury of a large inventory of high-end guitars (Collings, Bourgeois, H&D, etc.) at his disposal to examine inside & out, measure, play, and otherwise evaluate & study. However, what drew me to Raymond for a build was his dedication, work-ethic, and complete passion for guitars & guitar building. All that aside, he is also just a really nice person, and it has been a complete pleasure working with him on this build!

Raymond currently has 3-4 more guitars on deck, and after those, I'm having him build me another...that's how impressed I am with him. My next one is a year or so out, but it will be special, as I procured a beautiful set of straight-grained Brazilian rosewood for the back & sides, and a Master grade Adirondack top. The plan is for Raymond to build me a replica of a late 1920's Martin 000-28 Herringbone. As you might expect, the wood alone was pretty pricey; but, that's the confidence I have in this young up & coming builder...

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 04-25-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Nice looking guitar. Perhaps I missed it, but what are the dimensions of this "parlor" guitar?

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop