The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-15-2012, 11:17 AM

Default Hurricane Sandy Guitar Giveaway

Hello everyone,

I live in NY. Grew up on Staten Island and spent my summers at the Jersey shore where my mom still has a house. Lots of people I know lost a lot in the storm and I have been doing as much as I can helping with clean up efforts.
I have been trying to find someone that lost a guitar in the storm. Not just a dime store beater they never played, but a guitar that was valuable to them. Maybe a family heirloom, their dad's guitar that was passed down, etc. Something they treasured and lost.
I would like to build that person a free guitar. My wood vault is open for them to pick whatever they want. Brazilian, mahogany, spruce, cedar, redwood, whatever. All I ask is that they write me a little paragraph telling me why the guitar was important to them and include a picture of the lost guitar if they have one.
I have been trying to generate interest in this through Facebook but so far, there has been only a little interest. If anyone can help me get the word out, I would appreciate it. I am currently talking to a reporter at a local Staten Island NY paper and I am hopeful they will run a little story on it as well.
I have details on my website, but since I am not a sponsor, I don't want to post that here out of respect for the people who actually make a living selling guitars! However, you can email me at [email protected] for more info.

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited by rlouie; 11-26-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: fix title
Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 PM

Very cool idea and generous gesture. Good on ya'
Ovation Celebrity CK-047 FKOA
Line6 Variax JTV59
Taylor T-5z Pro

Peavey ValveKing 20
Fishman Loudbox Artist
TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb
Electro-Harmonix Pulsar tremolo
Boss A/B/Y switch
Steinberg UR22 USB interface
Old 11-15-2012, 01:53 PM

Thanks DaddyRabnit! I still need to get the word out. Giving away expensive guitars is difficult when it is the last thing on most people's mind.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit View Post
Very cool idea and generous gesture. Good on ya'
I second that! Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone in need.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:51 PM

What an awesome idea and very generous of you Tony_in_NYC. I can't wait to see how this will turn out!
Little Martin (LXM)
Lots of Drums

Never develop a passion you can't afford. It'll eat your heart away like a bookworm. - Cornella Funke
Old 11-15-2012, 03:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Great Idea

Good Move Tony,

Being a Jersey resident I've seen the effects of this storm first hand. If you come up short on anything while putting this build together, before making any purchases, PM me I would consider it a privilege to contribute to your project.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful, Tony. I'm a Monmouth Co. resident who got away fairly intact. Others weren't so lucky. I'm sure your gesture will make a lifelong impact.

Regards,
Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 11-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Musical minimalist

one of the more generous and gracious things I've seen on this for in the last 10 years!

Old 11-15-2012, 07:54 PM

Hats off Tony! Will watch this thread for the progress. Love to shake your hand one of these days.

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 11-16-2012, 09:31 AM

Thanks everyone.

Mark,
I was wondering how you made out. My mom has a house in Bricktown and she had three feet of water on the first floor. Could have been worse as we all know. She was not there when it happened.
Thank you for your offer. I will keep it in mind.

You all might be surprised to find out just how hard it is to give away a $3,000 guitar! I have been at this for almost 2 weeks and can not find anyone to help me get the word out in a meaningful way.
I have a few people who wrote to me with amazing stories. I wont post any info since some of the entrants want to surprise their spouse with the gift, but some meaningful instruments were lost. I hope to get a few more names in the hat before I pick the winner, but given that I am shoe horning this build into my schedule as it is, I will have to start it soon.

I am going to contact Mandolin brothers today. I had thought of them and then the idea slipped out of my mind.

I appreciate the support!

Tony
Old 11-16-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_NYC View Post
You all might be surprised to find out just how hard it is to give away a $3,000 guitar!
Nice gesture, Tony.

I guess a story about a guy giving out a guitar isn't as tear-jerking as someone handing food to those who starve. And some people might be concerned that one would use hurricane Sandy for promotional purposes.

You might have better luck if you suggest to build the guitar, auction it and then give all proceeds to a local charity which you care for. Just a suggestion...

Again, it's nice of you to have thought of this.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Tony,

Fortunately, we only lost power for a week. That counts as lucky compared to people I know
I want you to know I think your idea is a wonderful one. I think it's important that each of us responds in a way that feels right to us. There are many ways to help. If we each do our part things get better across the board

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Nice gesture, Tony.

I guess a story about a guy giving out a guitar isn't as tear-jerking as someone handing food to those who starve. And some people might be concerned that one would use hurricane Sandy for promotional purposes.

You might have better luck if you suggest to build the guitar, auction it and then give all proceeds to a local charity which you care for. Just a suggestion...

Again, it's nice of you to have thought of this.
Actually Joe, I was given a guitar built by a luthier friend in California to donate to a charity so they can raffle it off and raise money. That has been a little more difficult than I expected as well, but I finally found a charity that is putting on a big concert so it is a good fit.
In order to give them a guitar, it would have to be completed and I don't have any completed guitars to give away right now.
You are right, however, that a missing guitar does not elicit the response from the general public that a missing house does. However, how many of us here would want our favorite guitar to meet such a demise knowing you can not replace it because you need to buy clothes for your kids, new furniture, etc? Much of which is not covered by flood insurance.
As musicians and guitar lovers, we can sympathize with those people and their loss of a prized guitar. I know how I would feel.
Plus, I have been on site every weekend with a shovel, broom and a crow bar helping people dig out from the wreckage. Staten Island looks like a third world country in the hardest hit areas. If it felt appropriate to ask someone if they lost a guitar while I was shoveling the rest of their lives onto the curb, I would have done so. As it is, most people are too shell shocked to do more than work in a zombie-like stupor to clean up the remnants of their lives and try to move on.

Trust me, it is not self promotion for me to build a guitar for a victim. Many of the people I am helping are the relatives of my friends and friends of my family. I am very intimately involved with the clean up. When I am not physically cleaning up, I have been collecting donations of food, clothing and money for people affected. I leave work early, still wearing my suit from work, to deliver food to people cleaning up. This is my home, not a cause. It's where I was born and raised. I live just a few short blocks from the devastation.
Heck, I even went and donated blood this morning because I have a rare blood type and I can't think of any more ways to help people affected. (FYI The NY Blood Center is 12,000 pints short of their normal levels for this time of year) Building a guitar for somebody who lost theirs is just another step in the progression of helping people get back to normal, and it is a skill I have that no others helping with the clean up possess as far as I know. If an electrician, carpenter, plumber etc can offer to help victims for free because they care, why can't I?
I have read your posts for a long time on this forum Joe, and I don't think you were trying to insult me. You did, however, strike a nerve, so if I come off as defensive, it is only because of how close I am to this situation. No offense meant.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_NYC View Post
No offense meant.
Ditto.

I was just responding to your comment about how hard it is to give away a guitar -- and describing what I think some people might think (not what I think).

Even Obama and Springsteen were accused of taking advantage of Sandy so no harm intended...
Old 11-16-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Ditto.

I was just responding to your comment about how hard it is to give away a guitar -- and describing what I think some people might think (not what I think).

Even Obama and Springsteen were accused of taking advantage of Sandy so no harm intended...
Not Springsteen!!!

I figured you were not trying to offend me. Despite the fact that the only thing I lost was my cable service for 5 days, this has hit very close to home given all of the people I know who were affected. The worst hit areas still do not have electricity back and it has been almost three weeks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop