The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-02-2010, 01:51 PM

Default Hormigo, Ancient Kauri, Black Walnut - Info?

Hey all. I am considering stockpiling some back and side sets for future projects, and I'm trying to get info on some woods before doing so. Just to make things easier, the metric I'm using to judge these woods is based on my love of indian rosewood. I like woods with depth, overtones, etc. Super dry, overly woody stuff isn't really my bag (at least right now). I intend to make OM cutaways.

Hormigo: I understand it is used to make marimbas and is sometimes called "the wood that sings." Other than that, I really don't know anything specific. Has anyone had personal experience with it? Its nickname made me hopeful that it might be something like EIR.

Ancient Kauri: I know the story, and I want to get ahold of some for a project, but I would love some tone info.

Black Walnut: I live on the west coast, and there is plenty of black walnut here. I like the way it looks, whenever I look up information on walnut in general the descriptions are all over the place.

Thanks for reading!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 PM

I think Tim McKnight can give you a lot of information re: juglans nigra. Apparently he even has a stash of some that is very old (love to have a guitar made from that myself). www.mcknightguitars.com/
Hope this helps!

Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop